Register

Andrew Talansky Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

06 Sep 2017 01:11

TMP402 wrote:Maybe he was having trouble finding a new WT team?

I suppose that plays into it, but who knows. I remember hearing he had some personal or family issues last year. Not sure, but isn't he also a new dad? I think many things probably went into this decision. I know it's easy from our perspective to question moving on at such a young age, but pro cycling is a brutally hard sport and can be a difficult lifestyle (travel, away from family, etc.) on some people. Maybe there are just greater priorities in his life at this point. Whatever the reason, I wish him the best. He's got some good palmares to his name, he should be proud.
User avatar benzwire

06 Sep 2017 01:23

Good luck AT!
jmdirt

Re:

06 Sep 2017 01:41

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:I'm stunned. I have to think either health or personal issues.

Because otherwise you would not retire with basically your best years as a cyclist to come. Cyclists peak from 28yo-32yo most of the time

Or he just wants to do something different while he is still young enough to change life direction with a young family, maybe he just got bored with the rigmarole of training and traveling all the time. I adore riding my bike but think I would lose the love for it if I had it as a job.
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells

Re: Re:

06 Sep 2017 03:19

benzwire wrote:
TMP402 wrote:Maybe he was having trouble finding a new WT team?

I suppose that plays into it, but who knows. I remember hearing he had some personal or family issues last year. Not sure, but isn't he also a new dad? I think many things probably went into this decision. I know it's easy from our perspective to question moving on at such a young age, but pro cycling is a brutally hard sport and can be a difficult lifestyle (travel, away from family, etc.) on some people. Maybe there are just greater priorities in his life at this point. Whatever the reason, I wish him the best. He's got some good palmares to his name, he should be proud.

Nice post.
movingtarget
Veteran

06 Sep 2017 06:06

I'm surprised too. He was one of those eternal promises. At least he has won the Dauphiné. Without all those injuries and crashes he could have achieved more.
La fatica in montagna per me è poesia (Fatigue in the mountains is poetry to me) - Marco Pantani
Van een ezel kunt ge geen koerspaard maken (You can't turn a donkey into a race horse) - Patrick Lefevere
User avatar Pantani_lives

06 Sep 2017 06:09

You could tell something was up at the TDF. Furthermore, it appears he completely shut the season down after that race.

I suspect this was a decision that was made a while back. Good luck to him.
"When everyone cheats, then it becomes hugely distorted. It becomes a different contest, a contest of who's got the best doctor, who's got the most money, who's got the biggest risk tolerance." - Dan Coyle
PPAR-delta

06 Sep 2017 09:24

he has a good family and maybe he is not that big talent , because motivation is part of being talented
User avatar telencefalus

Re:

06 Sep 2017 09:54

PPAR-delta wrote:You could tell something was up at the TDF. Furthermore, it appears he completely shut the season down after that race.

I suspect this was a decision that was made a while back. Good luck to him.

He w supposed to ride the Vuelta but a knee problem prevented him from that.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

Re: Andrew Talansky Discussion Thread

07 Sep 2017 20:10

Best of luck to the young man, but I think he already has
some luck on his side because of the team he rides for.

When Michael Drapac came on board he insisted on the
Cannondale-Drapac team having a wellness program for
their riders.

Part of that program is the contribution made by former
Irish Olympic rower Gearoid Towey, now based in Sydney,
and the organisation he founded Crossing the Line Sport.

They are dedicated to athlete mental health and assisting
athletes transition out of sport. Hopefully they were/are of
some help to Andrew.
User avatar oldcrank

07 Sep 2017 22:12

Family may just mean more to him than training. I can't fault him for that. Nothing but respect.
User avatar Moviefan1203

Previous

Return to Professional road racing