Register

Nairo Quintana discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

11 Jan 2018 04:04

DFA123 wrote:
Jspear wrote:I feel like some people want to like him, he just makes it hard for others to root for him. That’s me. I’d love to see him tear it up. I’d cheer for him. He just don’t do it much. Personally I think that’s where a lot of the “harshness” comes from.

I think expectations on him to entertain are too high, resulting in people feeling let down by him. The reality is that he does a serious all-in, race splitting, attack from 50+km out pretty much every GT that he rides; and has won two GTs already thanks to those attacks. How many other GT contenders can say the same? Quintana is more aggressive than nearly all of them.

There seems to be some expectation that he should be lighting up every mountain stage and putting everyone to the sword day after day as soon as the road tilts up, which just isn't realistic in the modern era. At least not if you want to win GTs.

Your first paragraph is fair enough I guess.

Yes he has won 2 gt's...that's great, but....If he is to win more grand tours, it will have to be by lighting it up. He can't time trial. He will have to go "crazy" in the mountains. If he can't do that, he should just go for stage wins and the polka dot jersey.

Maybe that's "expecting to much." It is for an ordinary rider. It isn't for a pure climber who wants to win grand tours.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re: Nairo Quintana discussion thread

11 Jan 2018 04:33

Tonton wrote:If someone can dial in for anything, Nibali for a Giro is a given IMO. And the 100th...a shot at immortality. He too never believed that Dumoulin could pull it, that Quintana is a lesser ITT performer, played it conservative, nowing that a move on the stage 16 descent could be enough to ice the cake.

I don't believe in all the excuses for Nibali and Quintana.I think that Dumoulin was really good, they missed their opportunities.Mared each other: stages 18-19 show it afaik.

The argument about the lack of love for Quintana is a joke: most want Froome to lose, he was and may still be the only hope.

I believe in Dumoulin. Quintana? 2018 will be huge for him. One way or the other...

The reason I'm hesitant of Dumoulin and believe top shape Quintana way more is that Dumoulin hasn't been proven against the #1 GT competitive tactic of this era - being the train. And I don't think we will see that proven even in this year Giro. NQ has proved he can win stages even against the train.

In last year Giro it was really man against man, where Nibs and NQ had to make the time against Tom alone and they were not in shape to do that. Tom paced himself perfectly to limit losses, but I do not think his reserves to pace himself to train level speed on multi 10km climb on a stage and in consecutive stages is enough. He would have to constantly glimb on his steady pace limit or even above it and I feel he would be dropped like a stone eventually. I guess that is one of the reasons why he selected Giro for this year.

NQ on the other hand can't be dropped by anyone if in top shape. But he doesn't seem to really have the real kick anymore either to take off when really needed.

Tour this year will be really interesting because if Froome is not there, we might actually see some other team than Sky deploying train... thinking of Bahrain with Izaguirre brothers, Delphino and Pozzo supporting Nibs. They will try to dry the powder of NQ and Landa.
bambino

11 Jan 2018 04:51

bambino wrote:
Tonton wrote:If someone can dial in for anything, Nibali for a Giro is a given IMO. And the 100th...a shot at immortality. He too never believed that Dumoulin could pull it, that Quintana is a lesser ITT performer, played it conservative, nowing that a move on the stage 16 descent could be enough to ice the cake.

I don't believe in all the excuses for Nibali and Quintana.I think that Dumoulin was really good, they missed their opportunities.Mared each other: stages 18-19 show it afaik.

The argument about the lack of love for Quintana is a joke: most want Froome to lose, he was and may still be the only hope.

I believe in Dumoulin. Quintana? 2018 will be huge for him. One way or the other...

The reason I'm hesitant of Dumoulin and believe top shape Quintana way more is that Dumoulin hasn't been proven against the #1 GT competitive tactic of this era - being the train. And I don't think we will see that proven even in this year Giro. NQ has proved he can win stages even against the train.

In last year Giro it was really man against man, where Nibs and NQ had to make the time against Tom alone and they were not in shape to do that. Tom paced himself perfectly to limit losses, but I do not think his reserves to pace himself to train level speed on multi 10km climb on a stage and in consecutive stages is enough. He would have to constantly glimb on his steady pace limit or even above it and I feel he would be dropped like a stone eventually. I guess that is one of the reasons why he selected Giro for this year.

NQ on the other hand can't be dropped by anyone if in top shape. But he doesn't seem to really have the real kick anymore either to take off when really needed.

Tour this year will be really interesting because if Froome is not there, we might actually see some other team than Sky deploying train... thinking of Bahrain with Izaguirre brothers, Delphino and Pozzo supporting Nibs. They will try to dry the powder of NQ and Landa.

Wow. You saying this makes me realize Bahrain has quickly become a strong team.
Skyline Drive
Veteran

11 Jan 2018 05:47

Jspear wrote:
bambino wrote:

Wow. You saying this makes me realize Bahrain has quickly become a strong team.

They indeed have. Add potentially Navardauskas (if he finds the shape again), Haussler and Sitsou - and they have pretty scary team in all terrains, from TTT to flat rouling to cobbles to climbs.
bambino

11 Jan 2018 05:54

if Quintana doesn't win the Tour this year, his critics will be lining up. It will be a case of if not now when, especially if Froome doesn't ride. For Nibali it could be his last chance to win a Tour on a course that should suit him. For Landa a chance for bragging rights at Movistar and to break through in a GT. For Porte once again to answer the critics and reach the podium. Dan Martin will be looking for better after his last two Tours. Bardet and Uran will be extremely motivated and so on. With or without Froome this should be a great Tour for many reasons as there are more reasons this year for many of the GC riders not to take the conservative approach and take risks. If Froome does ride there will be more pressure than usual, maybe not to win the race but public perception and the views from some of the riders may be a factor not to mention the harassing nature of the media when they sense a story or a developing one, plus he has lost two of his best mountain domestiques. The fans look set for an entertaining three weeks.
movingtarget
Veteran

11 Jan 2018 09:13

I think the counter argument against this is that in that last week it wasn't that it was just Dumoulin who was limiting losses fairly comfortably. Zakarin and Pinot were taking time on Nibali and Quintana. You could argue that was because they marked each other, but I think by the last two stages they realised they had to work together, and still looked weak. At one stage Reichenbach effortlessly hauled in a Quintana attack and pretty much spat him out the back. Pozzovivo dropped Nibali at one point. Even on the last stage, the likes of Jungels and Yates were so close at the summit, that they could haul them back on the flat. Those things don't happen to Nibali or Quintana if they are anywhere near their best.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

11 Jan 2018 10:20

What races is Nairo gonna ride after Colombia and before the Tour and Vuelta?
Amsterdam

11 Jan 2018 23:00

Amsterdam wrote:What races is Nairo gonna ride after Colombia and before the Tour and Vuelta?

Movistar hasn't released anyone schedule for the season yet so we don't know. Movistar has only said Quintana to race Colombia and Tour, Landa Andalucia and Tour, Valverde Mallorca, Valencia, Murica Tour. Valverde has stated he's also racing Catalunya, Basque, Ardennes (possibly Andalucia), basically he wants the same schedule he had last year. However it his highly unlikely he races any of the Spanish races. From what's coming from Movistar (along with things Landa and Valverde have said) Landa and Valverde are racing the Spanish races along with Paris-Nice. Meaning Quintana might be racing Tirreno-Adriadico.
User avatar Koronin

13 Jan 2018 00:42

According to an article in a Spanish cycling publication Quintana is going to Tirreno-Adriadico this year.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

13 Jan 2018 01:15

Koronin wrote:According to an article in a Spanish cycling publication Quintana is going to Tirreno-Adriadico this year.

No surprise there, though the route suits him considerably less than this year
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

13 Jan 2018 14:24

movingtarget wrote:if Quintana doesn't win the Tour this year, his critics will be lining up. It will be a case of if not now when, especially if Froome doesn't ride. For Nibali it could be his last chance to win a Tour on a course that should suit him. For Landa a chance for bragging rights at Movistar and to break through in a GT. For Porte once again to answer the critics and reach the podium. Dan Martin will be looking for better after his last two Tours. Bardet and Uran will be extremely motivated and so on. With or without Froome this should be a great Tour for many reasons as there are more reasons this year for many of the GC riders not to take the conservative approach and take risks. If Froome does ride there will be more pressure than usual, maybe not to win the race but public perception and the views from some of the riders may be a factor not to mention the harassing nature of the media when they sense a story or a developing one, plus he has lost two of his best mountain domestiques. The fans look set for an entertaining three weeks.

I hope that you are right. Call me pessimistic if you want, but with so many riders at pretty much the same level, I'm afraid that defensive riding will prevail, no one but Nibali (Landa?) wanting to burn their cartridges.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

13 Jan 2018 18:18

Tonton wrote:
movingtarget wrote:if Quintana doesn't win the Tour this year, his critics will be lining up. It will be a case of if not now when, especially if Froome doesn't ride. For Nibali it could be his last chance to win a Tour on a course that should suit him. For Landa a chance for bragging rights at Movistar and to break through in a GT. For Porte once again to answer the critics and reach the podium. Dan Martin will be looking for better after his last two Tours. Bardet and Uran will be extremely motivated and so on. With or without Froome this should be a great Tour for many reasons as there are more reasons this year for many of the GC riders not to take the conservative approach and take risks. If Froome does ride there will be more pressure than usual, maybe not to win the race but public perception and the views from some of the riders may be a factor not to mention the harassing nature of the media when they sense a story or a developing one, plus he has lost two of his best mountain domestiques. The fans look set for an entertaining three weeks.

I hope that you are right. Call me pessimistic if you want, but with so many riders at pretty much the same level, I'm afraid that defensive riding will prevail, no one but Nibali (Landa?) wanting to burn their cartridges.

If they ride to defensively they could easily hand the Tour win to Valverde as he can pick up seconds in sprinting to the finish. Then to fill out the podium you'd end up with Nibali and Martin as they have the next fastest sprints. That's if this is what it becomes and it's a possibility.
User avatar Koronin

14 Jan 2018 05:02

Koronin wrote:
Tonton wrote:

If they ride to defensively they could easily hand the Tour win to Valverde as he can pick up seconds in sprinting to the finish. Then to fill out the podium you'd end up with Nibali and Martin as they have the next fastest sprints. That's if this is what it becomes and it's a possibility.

Yeah. That wouldn’t happen. Nibali will be too strong and this year he has a stronger team.
Skyline Drive
Veteran

14 Jan 2018 09:45

Does he also ride Abu Dhabi again?
User avatar liamito

Re:

14 Jan 2018 09:55

liamito wrote:Does he also ride Abu Dhabi again?

I don't think he does, nor do I hope it. Its a pretty useless race - 3 and a half stages of sitting on wheels in the peloton through the dessert and a 20-30 min MTF, the only actual training. Its just not worth going to in my opinion for Quintana when you consider all the travelling as well, he would be better of doing just Oro and Paz ahead of T-A and maybe fit a Spanish race in before as well, Andalucia, for example. But maybe the sponsor want him to go, I don't know.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

14 Jan 2018 13:37

De did Abu Dhabi last year because of the Giro participation. Without the Giro this year I don't think he will go to this race.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

02 Mar 2018 14:03

Does anybody have any news on his schedule?
I am kind of puzzled now that he hasn't lined up in the early races.
It would not surprise me if he shows up in one of the northern races like he did in 2015.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

02 Mar 2018 15:11

Supposedly he's going to Catalonia with Valverde and Soler.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

02 Mar 2018 15:43

Koronin wrote:Supposedly he's going to Catalonia with Valverde and Soler.

And Pais Vasco afterwards with Landa. He will probably also race Romandie, I think. And then if I have to guess Suisse before TdF (admittedly, this is what I hope).
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: Re:

02 Mar 2018 15:52

Valv.Piti wrote:
Koronin wrote:Supposedly he's going to Catalonia with Valverde and Soler.

And Pais Vasco afterwards with Landa. He will probably also race Romandie, I think. And then if I have to guess Suisse before TdF (admittedly, this is what I hope).

I'd also say he won't be race leader for either of the races. Valverde (esp with his current form) will be race leader for Catalonia, and Landa for Pais Vasco (esp since that's his home race).
User avatar Koronin

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing