Register

Nairo Quintana discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Nairo Quintana discussion thread

11 Oct 2018 20:48

"I share the blessing of being a father again, I present to you Tomás that together with my daughter Mariana and my wife Paola are the engines of my life."
http://twitter.com/NairoQuinCo/status/1050454392024047617?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1050454392024047617&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nieuwsblad.be%2Fcnt%2Fdmf20181011_03828180
Tim Booth

01 Dec 2018 20:33

Now Quintana is complaining that Movistar has 3 leaders and that he doesn't like it. He's talking about for the entire season not for any specific race. This does not appear to be misquoted as here is an article in Spanish: http://laguiadelciclismo.com/actualidad/2018/nairo-quintana-no-me-gusta-que-haya-tres-lideres-en-el-equipo/
User avatar Koronin

01 Dec 2018 20:44

Movistar >>>> MTV in terms of reality TV quality
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

01 Dec 2018 21:29

Unfortunately, I think next season of the "Three Amigos" shot on location in Italy, France and Spain will never show all the amigos together. Landa and Valverde will star in Italy, then Alejandro drops out and Nairo joins Mikel for the summer episodes. In Spain for the grand finale of the season Don Alejandro will reunite with Nairo.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re:

01 Dec 2018 21:34

Rollthedice wrote:Unfortunately, I think next season of the "Three Amigos" shot on location in Italy, France and Spain will never show all the amigos together. Landa and Valverde will star in Italy, then Alejandro drops out and Nairo joins Mikel for the summer episodes. In Spain for the grand finale of the season Don Alejandro will reunite with Nairo.

I think most of us are hoping that is the script.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

02 Dec 2018 21:19

Red Rick wrote:Movistar >>>> MTV in terms of reality TV quality

No doubt, if you were going to do a reality TV series on a pro cycling team, Movistar is the obvious choice.........no lack of material or drama.
movingtarget
Veteran

26 Feb 2019 18:16

So what sort of a year can we except from Nairo this time around? Showed up well in Tour of Columbia. Stage 6 was an awesome surprise.
saneguy

Re:

28 Feb 2019 02:52

saneguy wrote:So what sort of a year can we except from Nairo this time around? Showed up well in Tour of Columbia. Stage 6 was an awesome surprise.

??

He was let back into the race by the youngsters

I fear he will never win a Tour as he has some superb talent coming in to the World tour ranks now mainly form Columbia ...I don't see him beating SKY nor the youngsters
HelloDolly

Re: Re:

28 Feb 2019 03:13

HelloDolly wrote:
saneguy wrote:So what sort of a year can we except from Nairo this time around? Showed up well in Tour of Columbia. Stage 6 was an awesome surprise.

??

I fear he will never win a Tour as he has some superb talent coming in to the World tour ranks now mainly form Columbia ...I don't see him beating SKY nor the youngsters

This is likely his last shot as most of the top GC riders are headed to the Giro. The Tour GC field looks to be: Froome, Thomas, Bardet, Pinot, Mas, D. Martin, Quintana, Porte, and Uran.

As for those youngsters don't forget Mas and Roglic.
User avatar Koronin

28 Feb 2019 06:00

Koronin wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:

??

This is likely his last shot as most of the top GC riders are headed to the Giro. The Tour GC field looks to be: Froome, Thomas, Bardet, Pinot, Mas, D. Martin, Quintana, Porte, and Uran.

Roglic is older than Quintana.
User avatar tobydawq

28 Feb 2019 15:45

tobydawq wrote:
Koronin wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:

??

Roglic is older than Quintana.

Its not the age ..its he wear and tear
I think Roglic will win a GT soon as his team and his TT are very strong
HelloDolly

28 Feb 2019 16:02

I completely agree. It's just that calling him a youngster may be a bit odd, especially when comparing him to Quintana.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

28 Feb 2019 21:00

tobydawq wrote:I completely agree. It's just that calling him a youngster may be a bit odd, especially when comparing him to Quintana.

More new to cycling and still has a learning curve and hasn't reached his full potential. I see Roglic with a higher ceiling than he's shown. I don't see Quintana as being able to get back to his 2015 level let alone able to reach a higher level.
User avatar Koronin

01 Mar 2019 00:01

Koronin wrote:
tobydawq wrote:I completely agree. It's just that calling him a youngster may be a bit odd, especially when comparing him to Quintana.

More new to cycling and still has a learning curve and hasn't reached his full potential. I see Roglic with a higher ceiling than he's shown. I don't see Quintana as being able to get back to his 2015 level let alone able to reach a higher level.

Quintana is an odd one as he was was pushing Froome when Froome was climbing at his peak but something tells me that Froome hasn't deteriorated as much as we think with his climbing. He's just riding more conservatively and instead of building a sizeable lead at the midway point of a grand tour he is pacing himself over the three weeks. I think that's how he did the double in 2017. Froome has lost the explosive power on the mountain climbs but his strength is still there. It's odd to see Uran podium a Tour with Quintana nowhere to be seen. Riders like Roglic are definitely closing the gap to riders like Quintana and Bardet. Dumoulin has already surpassed them as a grand tour rider.
movingtarget
Veteran

01 Mar 2019 01:03

movingtarget wrote:
Koronin wrote:

Quintana is an odd one as he was was pushing Froome when Froome was climbing at his peak but something tells me that Froome hasn't deteriorated as much as we think with his climbing. He's just riding more conservatively and instead of building a sizeable lead at the midway point of a grand tour he is pacing himself over the three weeks. I think that's how he did the double in 2017. Froome has lost the explosive power on the mountain climbs but his strength is still there. It's odd to see Uran podium a Tour with Quintana nowhere to be seen. Riders like Roglic are definitely closing the gap to riders like Quintana and Bardet. Dumoulin has already surpassed them as a grand tour rider.

My opinion is that both Quintana and Froome have declined since 2015. That appears to have been his ceiling as he hasn't reached it again since. The last two years he also hasn't been able to hit his 2016 levels again. Thus leading me to believe that not only did he did a ceiling in 2015, but that he's had a steady decline since. I think Froome is decline, but at a slower rate than Quintana and has more plateaued (maybe?).
User avatar Koronin

01 Mar 2019 05:16

Yeah Quintana had a lot of promise but Froome was too strong when Quintana peaked and now the field has many other contenders. Probably stage hunting is all that is left for Nairo.

Weirdly enough I'd still like to see him somehow clinch the Tour. Hoping against hope!
saneguy

Re: Nairo Quintana discussion thread

01 Mar 2019 10:09

I'm thinking NQ can podium the Tour and maybe even win it, as long as Valverde is not in the team and he has a good mountain team around him. As with Froome deteriorating, that may be something to do with the numerous consecutive GT's he's ridden (and won most of them). Sure he's entitled to a bit of tiredness in his legs. Can't understand how NQ is 25/1 with some bookies, seeing he is targeting solely the Tour, Richie Port is 10/1!!! Hoping Nairo does well, he's due one.
wheresmybrakes

01 Mar 2019 11:33

25/1 definitely seems like value to me this year everything taken into consideration. Thats worth a shot.
"Es el mejor con y sin" - someone very bright on Valverde.
Purito, Valv and Conta <3
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

15 Mar 2019 09:48

At the beginning of the year it was announced he would by trained by Michele Bartoli this year and, as far as we can say, he looks better. It’s only Paris - Nice and he always had a very high floor, but he has been very good. Surviving echelons on his ones, very respectable timetrial on par with Kelderman and Jungels. I’m curious about his performance on Turini and if he still has it in him to reach that peak come July. Like they said in The Godfather; just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

15 Mar 2019 10:32

DNP-Old wrote:At the beginning of the year it was announced he would by trained by Michele Bartoli this year and, as far as we can say, he looks better. It’s only Paris - Nice and he always had a very high floor, but he has been very good. Surviving echelons on his ones, very respectable timetrial on par with Kelderman and Jungels. I’m curious about his performance on Turini and if he still has it in him to reach that peak come July. Like they said in The Godfather; just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

I think switching trainer was a good move and also staying away from all the political drama from the Colombian cycling federation
Dukerojo

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing