Register

Nairo Quintana discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Nairo Quintana discussion thread

05 Apr 2013 02:52

Why doesn't he have his own thread?

I really like this guy, some great racing from him in the past year.

Loved his win in the Dauphine last year, also in Catalunya last week.

I assume he will work to secure valverde a top 10 placing at the tour this year:rolleyes:

What a shame, I guess he doesn't TT too well but its depressing all these exciting young riders have to pay their dues so aging stars who have no shot at the podium can be protected riders because of their salary rather than their possibilities. Not saying he has a shot at the podium, but please dont stifle him on stages where he can animate things!

These are the guys you should be building around, not old dudes on the way out like Valverde.
saunaking

05 Apr 2013 03:19

Quickly becoming one of my favorite riders, and the saving grace of my CQ team. :o
Hope he can keep his podium spot in Pais Vasco, or maybe even win it! :eek:...:D

I would also much rather see him get to lead Movistar than Valverde.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

05 Apr 2013 03:20

Sergio Henao & Rigoberto Uran were interviewed a year past about their possible prospects to aspire of what once the great "Luis Herrera" had achieved for Colombian cycling as far as a GT title- which they responded: Well- we hope one day we'll Get such opportunity to fight for it, but as far as a "Colombian rider" with the pedigree, breed,talent & be called upon destiny to fulfill such task- there is only NAIRO QUINTANA to be honest.....
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

05 Apr 2013 03:43

Nice and deserving thread. I thought there was one already.

Nairo Quintana riding style is like if he was floating on the mountains. I like him a lot.

Henao and Quintana are probably our best prospects to improve or continue on our hegemony in the European’s mountains just like Parra and Herrera.

I honestly thought Henao was the only hope to win a GT again for Colombia. Now I am not sure anymore with Quintana.

At this point Henao has proven to be a little bit more consistent than Quintana so far. But things can change depending on how things develop for them in their teams in the future.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

05 Apr 2013 04:20

Love him. Movistar should let him attack from far out and give us epic riding like last year in route du sud.

I'm expecting epicness in years to come.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

05 Apr 2013 04:30

I'm disapointed in Quintana because few people in the cycling press saw him for the talent he was- all about pinot. So I was waiting for him to go into a grand tour where I could put some money on him with the low odds he has and get something out of it..
but instead he comes into these 1 week races with weaker fields so he doesn't have high odds to start with and places in all of them.so by the time he does get a grand tour his odds will suck anyway. And all those morons in the.cycling press who thought he was a decent future domestique will be right there to cash in on him.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

05 Apr 2013 05:04

It's ok, plenty of money to be made on Ospina, Quintero and Suarez.
Ferminal
Veteran

05 Apr 2013 05:23

The Hitch wrote:I'm disapointed in Quintana because few people in the cycling press saw him for the talent he was- all about pinot. So I was waiting for him to go into a grand tour where I could put some money on him with the low odds he has and get something out of it..

you better complain to Unzue about it, because he has already stated what Quintana is set to achieve IN THE FUTURE-not now

The Hitch wrote:but instead he comes into these 1 week races with weaker fields so he doesn't have high odds to start with and places in all of them.so by the time he does get a grand tour his odds will suck anyway. And all those morons in the.cycling press who thought he was a decent future domestique will be right there to cash in on him.

I guess Quintana's best chance to get rapid results/wins is IF Brailsford gets to acquire him;)
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

05 Apr 2013 05:46

hfer07 wrote:you better complain to Unzue about it, because he has already stated what Quintana is set to achieve IN THE FUTURE-not now

I guess Quintana's best chance to get rapid results/wins is IF Brailsford gets to acquire him;)

No,please nooo:D
He will get a chance in Tour,trust me,Movistar will play 1-2 like in Cataluna:cool:
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

05 Apr 2013 07:01

Thought there was already a thread for him.

I like him a lot- any hill or mountain for him seems great.

Henao and Chaves are the 2 other Colombians who i think could go on to win GT's.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Veteran

05 Apr 2013 07:09

Very promising young rider i can see some great things coming from this Columbian in the not too distant future.
Peter Sagan:
"I under-evaluated him (Gerald Ciolek) a little bit. I was watching Cancellara, who was trying to break free, and maybe I did too much work," Sagan said. "Ciolek stayed in the wheels and he took my wheel to do the sprint and was able to beat me. I went too early in the sprint."

17/03/13 Milan - San Remo

Peter Sagan:
“We went away in a break on the Oude Kwaremont, but then Cancellara went for it on the Paterberg and I wasn’t able to follow him,”

31/03/13 Tour of Flanders
User avatar HiCadence

05 Apr 2013 07:34

I definitely see him as a future Grand Tour winner. He surprised me yesterday with his late attack and his positioning semms to be quite good. Hope he keeps on improving in the TTs.
User avatar the asian

05 Apr 2013 08:33

SafeBet wrote:Love him. Movistar should let him attack from far out and give us epic riding like last year in route du sud.

I'm expecting epicness in years to come.

Agree. I really hope he will (and the team will let him) attack earlier than we have seen lately. I really enjoy watching Quintana. It will be very interesting see how he will do on the TT in the Basq Tour tomorrow
User avatar Cimber

05 Apr 2013 08:49

A colombian climbing well is not surprising, descending fast is quite surprising, but even doing late attacks and some sort of sprints...oh well, Im speechless!
[color="Black"]ciclismo-espresso.com[/color]
User avatar Michele

05 Apr 2013 08:59

title edited - it's Nairo, not Nario...
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

05 Apr 2013 09:25

He doesn't climb as well as Henao, but can TT way better
User avatar wwabbit

05 Apr 2013 09:29

Doesn't climb as well as Henao? Say what
User avatar infeXio

05 Apr 2013 09:31

infexio wrote:doesn't climb as well as henao? Say what

+1

Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

05 Apr 2013 09:32

Crushing the field on Joux Plane just doesn't compare well against a man who has been first to the top of the mighty Malhao.
Ferminal
Veteran

05 Apr 2013 09:35

Ferminal wrote:Crushing the field on Joux Plane just doesn't compare well against a man who has been first to the top of the mighty Malhao.

:D:D...nice
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

Next

Return to Professional road racing