Register

Nairo Quintana discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

09 Sep 2018 16:32

It's becoming increasingly obvious that 2015 Huez Quintana is gone. He just doesn't have it anymore so that's why he is riding on the defensive thinking that a podium is always better than to blow up completely. We'll have to wait though until Andorra for a definitive answer.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

09 Sep 2018 16:33

@tobydawq: We read races differently. Valverde had to share the work as well. And he helped. So between him and Quintana they minimize the losses so that was a win for both. In fact Valverde won more with the TT looming. In the races where Valverde has worked (I think) for Quintana he has been clearly superior so I don't understand why you see it otherwise. And they both have a good relation, different to what people think here.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

09 Sep 2018 16:35

Rollthedice wrote:It's becoming increasingly obvious that 2015 Huez Quintana is gone. He just doesn't have it anymore so that's why he is riding on the defensive thinking that a podium is always better than to blow up completely. We'll have to wait though until Andorra for a definitive answer.

He is riding defensively because he doesn't have it.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re: Re:

09 Sep 2018 16:37

Escarabajo wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:It's becoming increasingly obvious that 2015 Huez Quintana is gone. He just doesn't have it anymore so that's why he is riding on the defensive thinking that a podium is always better than to blow up completely. We'll have to wait though until Andorra for a definitive answer.

Too much weight becos of Colombian delicacies or too little training becos of "i can win when i want" attitude?
IndianCyclist

09 Sep 2018 16:39

Weight might be of help in the TT :D
ice&fire

09 Sep 2018 16:43

Still, I hope Quintana will kick some d#$%@s asses.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

Re:

09 Sep 2018 16:45

Escarabajo wrote:@tobydawq: We read races differently. Valverde had to share the work as well. And he helped. So between him and Quintana they minimize the losses so that was a win for both. In fact Valverde won more with the TT looming. In the races where Valverde has worked (I think) for Quintana he has been clearly superior so I don't understand why you see it otherwise. And they both have a good relation, different to what people think here.

In the 2016 Tour, Valverde carried Quintana around France. It was awful to watch.
User avatar tobydawq

09 Sep 2018 16:50

IndianCyclist wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:

Too much weight becos of Colombian delicacies or too little training becos of "i can win when i want" attitude?

A little bit of both! :D

The other day in the interview with Colombian television he said that he was missing his plantains!!! LOL.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

09 Sep 2018 16:51

I am starting to think that Quintana is bluffing and he doesn't have the legs. Hence the lack of attacks. Carapaz closed the biggest gap for him today.
movingtarget
Veteran

09 Sep 2018 16:55

tobydawq wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:@tobydawq: We read races differently. Valverde had to share the work as well. And he helped. So between him and Quintana they minimize the losses so that was a win for both. In fact Valverde won more with the TT looming. In the races where Valverde has worked (I think) for Quintana he has been clearly superior so I don't understand why you see it otherwise. And they both have a good relation, different to what people think here.

In the 2016 Tour, Valverde carried Quintana around France. It was awful to watch.

I keep hearing this, but I am not sure that Valverde would have fared any better if we was riding for himself? I doubt it after that Giro. I still believe Quintana gave them the best chance for a win or podium in 2016. And that was coming from 2015 Tour. There was no reason to do otherwise. Valverde has had good results riding with Quintana at the Tour. He has helped him take some of the pressure off him.

This is the Vuelta and he can do whatever he wants. He is riding for himself now. He can win it but he looks tired as well.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

09 Sep 2018 16:55

Nairo clearly doesnt have the legs. Too much weight / lack of training. Call it what you want. This was "suppose" to be his stage, his style of riding. He is not in shape. He is only 33 seconds behind but that will probably become 1.33 at the end of the time trail. Yates will surely put in a lot of time on Nairo.

Over to Andorra then.
saneguy

Re:

09 Sep 2018 16:56

movingtarget wrote:I am starting to think that Quintana is bluffing and he doesn't have the legs. Hence the lack of attacks. Carapaz closed the biggest gap for him today.

I am 99.99% sure of this!!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

09 Sep 2018 17:01

For someone who doesn't have the legs, he sure responded to lots of attacks personally without much of a problem.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

09 Sep 2018 17:02

Beware Quintana is a 3rd week beast. Write him off too soon would be dumb
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

09 Sep 2018 17:13

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Beware Quintana is a 3rd week beast. Write him off too soon would be dumb

How long have we been hearing that about Quintana ? Yes you can't write him off completely but others are definitely looking better. His first TT was very good, the next one should be interesting. The race is still wide open.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

09 Sep 2018 17:55

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Beware Quintana is a 3rd week beast. Write him off too soon would be dumb

He won't make up over a minute on both Yates and Valverde in the 3rd week. It is highly likely he'll have to make up that kind of time to both of them. On the first of these three stages he only put around 20-25 seconds on Valverde and that was one of the two stages in this Vuelta that are/were the worst stages for Valverde.
User avatar Koronin

09 Sep 2018 17:57

Quintana just doesn't have it. He improved a lot in the last week of the 2015 Vuelta though, but I'm long past considering mythical peak Quintana reliable. Just slightly more reliable than hypothetical healthy Kelderman
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

09 Sep 2018 18:01

Red Rick wrote:Quintana just doesn't have it. He improved a lot in the last week of the 2015 Vuelta though, but I'm long past considering mythical peak Quintana reliable. Just slightly more reliable than hypothetical healthy Kelderman

2015 he was also very sick during the 2nd week, which actually explains his dramatic improvement in the 3rd week.
User avatar Koronin

09 Sep 2018 18:09

Koronin wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Quintana just doesn't have it. He improved a lot in the last week of the 2015 Vuelta though, but I'm long past considering mythical peak Quintana reliable. Just slightly more reliable than hypothetical healthy Kelderman

2015 he was also very sick during the 2nd week, which actually explains his dramatic improvement in the 3rd week.

Just looked back at the result. He was pretty consistent apart from dropping 3 minutes on the Andorra stage and having a great ITT and final mountain stage.

Also saw that while Valverde got 3rd in that ITT, he only took 25s out of Quintana and 45s out of Aru, so gaps were still quite small, apart from Dumoulin being Dumoulin and Purito being Purito
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

09 Sep 2018 18:10

Is anything known publicly about the relationship between Quintana and Lopez? I understand Quintana is apparently not popular in the peloton and just because they are both Colombian (and even from the same province), doesn't mean they have to help each other, but they appear to be openly hostile towards each other, which is strange.
User avatar spalco
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing