Log in:  

Register

Nairo Quintana discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

09 Sep 2018 18:14

hrotha wrote:For someone who doesn't have the legs, he sure responded to lots of attacks personally without much of a problem.

I disagree. He had some issues responding. In some cases he needed help or didn't respond.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,360
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

Re:

09 Sep 2018 18:17

spalco wrote:Is anything known publicly about the relationship between Quintana and Lopez? I understand Quintana is apparently not popular in the peloton and just because they are both Colombian (and even from the same province), doesn't mean they have to help each other, but they appear to be openly hostile towards each other, which is strange.

Nothing public. In fact they are both from Boyacá.

I wondered about the same thing today.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,360
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

Re:

09 Sep 2018 18:18

spalco wrote:Is anything known publicly about the relationship between Quintana and Lopez? I understand Quintana is apparently not popular in the peloton and just because they are both Colombian (and even from the same province), doesn't mean they have to help each other, but they appear to be openly hostile towards each other, which is strange.


Apparently he congratulated Miguel Ángel Lopez on a deserved win today...
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,568
Joined: 11 May 2013 10:59

Re:

09 Sep 2018 18:20

spalco wrote:Is anything known publicly about the relationship between Quintana and Lopez? I understand Quintana is apparently not popular in the peloton and just because they are both Colombian (and even from the same province), doesn't mean they have to help each other, but they appear to be openly hostile towards each other, which is strange.

Belgian commentators were talking about that earlier, but I can't remember what they said anymore :o
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,555
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

09 Sep 2018 18:28

MAL seems to be a nice guy, he's really religious, even for South American standarts, but I've never heard anything bad about him (well, besides not collaborating durning a chase, but that's normal racing stuff).
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,420
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

09 Sep 2018 18:29

And here is another one with a gripe against Quntana.....but it just hate ...isnt it ?? :D

https://twitter.com/JournalVelo/status/1038821529595928577
HelloDolly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,224
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 00:12
Location: Birmingham

Re:

09 Sep 2018 18:38

HelloDolly wrote:And here is another one with a gripe against Quntana.....but it just hate ...isnt it ?? :D

https://twitter.com/JournalVelo/status/1038821529595928577


Since when another rider needs to do the chasing for the little arrogant red jersey?
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,568
Joined: 11 May 2013 10:59

Re: Re:

09 Sep 2018 18:41

Rollthedice wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:And here is another one with a gripe against Quntana.....but it just hate ...isnt it ?? :D

https://twitter.com/JournalVelo/status/1038821529595928577


Since when another rider needs to do the chasing for the little arrogant red jersey?

Lol. What Rollthedice said.

I thought it was something else. Of course he is not going to pull for him.

In fact Lopez and Yates should forget about Quintana if they want to win. They both look to be stronger. So stop worrying about somebody else's race.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,360
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

Re: Re:

09 Sep 2018 18:47

Rollthedice wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:And here is another one with a gripe against Quntana.....but it just hate ...isnt it ?? :D

https://twitter.com/JournalVelo/status/1038821529595928577


Since when another rider needs to do the chasing for the little arrogant red jersey?


There’s nothing arrogant about telling the top favorite for the race, a multiple GT winner who still has a teammate with him, that he’s not going to get an armchair ride to the line. It was in both of their interests to chase down Lopez. Nairo is entitled to develop a sudden onset extreme allergy to getting the wind in his face if he likes, but he can’t expect his rivals to tolerate that kind of passivity from the favorite with good grace. He’s the guy with the GTs under his belt, none of the pretenders to a GT throne will allow him to leech.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,422
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

09 Sep 2018 23:16

What you say it's true, but no less true than the fact that the red jersey shouldn't expect cooperation, especially when he has a better kick than the others for the finale. MAL is a small distance down and not as big a favourite on paper as Simon Yates, it's perfectly legitimate for those not in the leader jersey to leave that chase to the guy who has the most to lose, i.e. the leader.

Me, at the time I was thinking there's no way Quintana should pull. Either have Valverde work, or a better option, leave it to Yates before hopefully finishing him off with his own attack. The multiple GT winner thing cuts both ways - can Yates afford to throw away a chance like this when he hasn't won any GTs yet?
User avatar hrotha
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,745
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

Re:

09 Sep 2018 23:33

hrotha wrote:What you say it's true, but no less true than the fact that the red jersey shouldn't expect cooperation, especially when he has a better kick than the others for the finale. MAL is a small distance down and not as big a favourite on paper as Simon Yates, it's perfectly legitimate for those not in the leader jersey to leave that chase to the guy who has the most to lose, i.e. the leader.

Me, at the time I was thinking there's no way Quintana should pull. Either have Valverde work, or a better option, leave it to Yates before hopefully finishing him off with his own attack. The multiple GT winner thing cuts both ways - can Yates afford to throw away a chance like this when he hasn't won any GTs yet?



Why should he force Valverde to work when he should be working for Valverde.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,808
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re:

09 Sep 2018 23:34

hrotha wrote:What you say it's true, but no less true than the fact that the red jersey shouldn't expect cooperation, especially when he has a better kick than the others for the finale. MAL is a small distance down and not as big a favourite on paper as Simon Yates, it's perfectly legitimate for those not in the leader jersey to leave that chase to the guy who has the most to lose, i.e. the leader.

Me, at the time I was thinking there's no way Quintana should pull. Either have Valverde work, or a better option, leave it to Yates before hopefully finishing him off with his own attack. The multiple GT winner thing cuts both ways - can Yates afford to throw away a chance like this when he hasn't won any GTs yet?


I don’t think that either of them have committed some terrible crime. Of course they would each prefer the other to pull if they are stupid enough to do so alone, but ultimately cooperation is in both’s interests and both are aware of that. That’s why Yates wasn’t having any of it when Nairo tried to sit on and it’s why Nairo did actually come through when Yates yelled at him (and then quickly looked around for Valverde). Seeing if Yates was too eager for his own good was a reasonable thing for Quintana to do. But he knows that Movistar have two in the group, that he’s the favorite and Valverde is the fastest sprinter, that Lopez is a direct rival and that they can’t let him ride away. So Movistar did start pulling.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,422
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re: Re:

09 Sep 2018 23:35

Koronin wrote:
hrotha wrote:What you say it's true, but no less true than the fact that the red jersey shouldn't expect cooperation, especially when he has a better kick than the others for the finale. MAL is a small distance down and not as big a favourite on paper as Simon Yates, it's perfectly legitimate for those not in the leader jersey to leave that chase to the guy who has the most to lose, i.e. the leader.

Me, at the time I was thinking there's no way Quintana should pull. Either have Valverde work, or a better option, leave it to Yates before hopefully finishing him off with his own attack. The multiple GT winner thing cuts both ways - can Yates afford to throw away a chance like this when he hasn't won any GTs yet?



Why should he force Valverde to work when he should be working for Valverde.

Valverde did start pulling after Nairo went through himself.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,422
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re: Re:

09 Sep 2018 23:37

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
Koronin wrote:
hrotha wrote:What you say it's true, but no less true than the fact that the red jersey shouldn't expect cooperation, especially when he has a better kick than the others for the finale. MAL is a small distance down and not as big a favourite on paper as Simon Yates, it's perfectly legitimate for those not in the leader jersey to leave that chase to the guy who has the most to lose, i.e. the leader.

Me, at the time I was thinking there's no way Quintana should pull. Either have Valverde work, or a better option, leave it to Yates before hopefully finishing him off with his own attack. The multiple GT winner thing cuts both ways - can Yates afford to throw away a chance like this when he hasn't won any GTs yet?



Why should he force Valverde to work when he should be working for Valverde.

Valverde did start pulling after Nairo went through himself.


Valverde's comment after the stage was he wasn't willing to give up time that everyone else seemed happy to give up or something to that effect.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,808
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Nairo Quintana discussion thread

09 Sep 2018 23:43

Correct call from Quintana with Yates, not having the legs combined with not wanting to drag the 800m sprinter to the end to cede another 12 seconds even though you are equal.
Scarponi
Member
 
Posts: 1,670
Joined: 21 Apr 2015 08:56

Re: Re:

09 Sep 2018 23:53

Koronin wrote:Why should he force Valverde to work when he should be working for Valverde.

Yeah, I don't actually think Valverde should have worked in that situation, but I was trying to empathize with what forumers with more conservative racing instincts might posit.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,745
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

10 Sep 2018 06:22

The "siempre a rueda"-message from Quintana might have reached Yates as well, therefore causing Yates to overly react like he did.

But whoever should or shouldn't pull in that situation, it was quite an effective technique from Yates to invite Movistar to help him out. A calm and simple elbow probably wouldn't have had the same effect.
User avatar Flamin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,705
Joined: 04 Jan 2011 00:31

Re: Nairo Quintana discussion thread

10 Sep 2018 07:42

Scarponi wrote:Correct call from Quintana with Yates, not having the legs combined with not wanting to drag the 800m sprinter to the end to cede another 12 seconds even though you are equal.


No. Correct thing would be to work that last downhill part for superior sprinter from your team.
This way he lost 8 sec, and had he worked, Bala would out sprint Yates and he would lose less to him.
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,384
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

Re: Nairo Quintana discussion thread

10 Sep 2018 08:44

Blanco wrote:
Scarponi wrote:Correct call from Quintana with Yates, not having the legs combined with not wanting to drag the 800m sprinter to the end to cede another 12 seconds even though you are equal.


No. Correct thing would be to work that last downhill part for superior sprinter from your team.
This way he lost 8 sec, and had he worked, Bala would out sprint Yates and he would lose less to him.

Valverde didn't do that much work in the last 2km. He lost that sprint because he was more roasted than Yates, despite Yates spending way more energy on the final climb.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,555
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Nairo Quintana discussion thread

10 Sep 2018 09:50

Red Rick wrote:
Blanco wrote:
Scarponi wrote:Correct call from Quintana with Yates, not having the legs combined with not wanting to drag the 800m sprinter to the end to cede another 12 seconds even though you are equal.


No. Correct thing would be to work that last downhill part for superior sprinter from your team.
This way he lost 8 sec, and had he worked, Bala would out sprint Yates and he would lose less to him.

Valverde didn't do that much work in the last 2km. He lost that sprint because he was more roasted than Yates, despite Yates spending way more energy on the final climb.


He was on the front from the moment Yates waved at Quintana, and that was some 1.3-1.5 km from the finish. Although it's not about how he spent himself there, because he didn't, but about how Quintana should led that descent so Valverde could comfortably sit on Yates wheel and jumped him in that last 200m. This way he was jumped by Yates. Roasted or not he usually always have the strength for that last sprint.
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,384
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BullsFan22, MatParker117 and 35 guests

Back to top