Log in:  

Register

Nairo Quintana discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

10 Sep 2018 11:58

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:And here is another one with a gripe against Quntana.....but it just hate ...isnt it ?? :D

https://twitter.com/JournalVelo/status/1038821529595928577


Since when another rider needs to do the chasing for the little arrogant red jersey?


There’s nothing arrogant about telling the top favorite for the race, a multiple GT winner who still has a teammate with him, that he’s not going to get an armchair ride to the line. It was in both of their interests to chase down Lopez. Nairo is entitled to develop a sudden onset extreme allergy to getting the wind in his face if he likes, but he can’t expect his rivals to tolerate that kind of passivity from the favorite with good grace. He’s the guy with the GTs under his belt, none of the pretenders to a GT throne will allow him to leech.


I really expected more from you as I enjoy your posts and respect your opinion. Here I think you are mistaken. Red jersey and his team has to be responsible for defending his leadership status. Quintana did his share of chasing down some attacks. For Yates to gesticulate that someone should be doing his job is rather comical. Maybe he should be complaining to his ds that he's not getting the support that he needs from his team.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,331
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

Re:

12 Sep 2018 16:19

Moviestar wrote:The most important GT of Quintana, will it be a confirmation that his development stagnates, or is there some future by winning the Vuelta ( and also a future with Movistar). Somehow i can't see Landa and Quintana in one team next year, especially with all the rumours about a troubled relationship between the two.


The end concerning GT's sadly enough. :Neutral:
Moviestar
Member
 
Posts: 463
Joined: 31 May 2015 00:39

Re: Re:

12 Sep 2018 16:31

Moviestar wrote:
Moviestar wrote:The most important GT of Quintana, will it be a confirmation that his development stagnates, or is there some future by winning the Vuelta ( and also a future with Movistar). Somehow i can't see Landa and Quintana in one team next year, especially with all the rumours about a troubled relationship between the two.


The end concerning GT's sadly enough. :Neutral:

I think he's riding a pretty solid race for a guy who went full-on for GC in the Tour and who crashed in the third week there. His form gradually dropping off in the third week as you'd expect.

Not amazing by any means, but he's comfortably the best of the GC guys who went really deep at the Tour. I agree he should probably leave Movistar though if he can - its turning into too much of a circus and they have messed up Quintana's peaking too many times now.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,362
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

12 Sep 2018 16:38

Quintana's future is as clear as mud. No doubt he is sliding down the pecking order. The younger riders are picking up not to mention the likes of his 38 year old teammate doing better.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,547
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

12 Sep 2018 16:42

Froome has weakened the minds of everyone and made it again believable that you should do well in two grand tours. That is not the normal thing to do and anyone who does it especially
The back to back ones is highly suspicious or are the best riders of a generation
Scarponi
Member
 
Posts: 1,671
Joined: 21 Apr 2015 08:56

Re:

12 Sep 2018 16:42

movingtarget wrote:Quintana's future is as clear as mud. No doubt he is sliding down the pecking order. The younger riders are picking up not to mention the likes of his 38 year old teammate doing better.

I think it could be a situation where the sponsors really want him to be at Movistar (as in - are demanding he is leader), but the staff and coaches would prefer to support other riders.

Which has resulted in consistently sub-optimal preparation and questionable team tactics in the last couple of years. He should probably take the decision (and any financial hit) himself to leave.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,362
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

Re:

12 Sep 2018 17:11

hrotha wrote:What you say it's true, but no less true than the fact that the red jersey shouldn't expect cooperation, especially when he has a better kick than the others for the finale. MAL is a small distance down and not as big a favourite on paper as Simon Yates, it's perfectly legitimate for those not in the leader jersey to leave that chase to the guy who has the most to lose, i.e. the leader.

Me, at the time I was thinking there's no way Quintana should pull. Either have Valverde work, or a better option, leave it to Yates before hopefully finishing him off with his own attack. The multiple GT winner thing cuts both ways - can Yates afford to throw away a chance like this when he hasn't won any GTs yet?
Maybe he was bluffing for them to come to the front and would have chased if they hadn't.
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,149
Joined: 15 Apr 2016 16:10

12 Sep 2018 17:56

User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,361
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

Re:

12 Sep 2018 19:30



Too early. Just attack early on saturday, put pressure on yates. Helping someone on the final climb isnt that useful.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,508
Joined: 25 May 2010 05:54
Location: the Netherlands

Re: Re:

12 Sep 2018 19:42

Kwibus wrote:


Too early. Just attack early on saturday, put pressure on yates. Helping someone on the final climb isnt that useful.

He's over 2 minutes behind, and I doubt Quintana is now at a level that Haig amd Adam won't easily bring him back. A solo move makes Quintana useless. A move with another contender can get Quintana 2nd
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,675
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Re:

13 Sep 2018 06:19

Red Rick wrote:
Kwibus wrote:


Too early. Just attack early on saturday, put pressure on yates. Helping someone on the final climb isnt that useful.

He's over 2 minutes behind, and I doubt Quintana is now at a level that Haig amd Adam won't easily bring him back. A solo move makes Quintana useless. A move with another contender can get Quintana 2nd


In fact they'd probably let him go if he does a solo move knowing well that he doesnt have legs to make any big time gaps. Yates will probably focus on Valverde and Mas more than Quintana.
saneguy
Member
 
Posts: 588
Joined: 25 Mar 2013 10:03
Location: Mumbai, India

15 Sep 2018 02:34

The quintana-is-better-in-the-third-week myth is destroyed now.

The quintana-worshippers are humbled now. Thankfully, we will hear less and less of them from now on.
User avatar Iker_Baqueiro
Junior Member
 
Posts: 218
Joined: 25 Jan 2010 01:18

15 Sep 2018 07:33

I was thinking, do we have any real Quintana fans on here, not just ones that support him because of his nationality or his team? Raise your hands folks.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 30,594
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

15 Sep 2018 08:40

Why support him because of nationality? I have supported him since 2012 (partly cause of team I think), but its pretty hard to at times. But I genuinely think that he is a pretty aggressive rider when he actually got great legs, unfortunately he shows that 2-3 times a year at this point.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,577
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

15 Sep 2018 08:47

He is on my third tier of riders I would like to win. I would for GC or mountain stages I have 5-7 riders I would rather win than him.
User avatar SHAD0W93
Member
 
Posts: 845
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 03:50

Re:

15 Sep 2018 08:54

Valv.Piti wrote:Why support him because of nationality? I have supported him since 2012 (partly cause of team I think), but its pretty hard to at times. But I genuinely think that he is a pretty aggressive rider when he actually got great legs, unfortunately he shows that 2-3 times a year at this point.

There are some people on here who support pretty much every Colombian rider.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 30,594
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Re:

15 Sep 2018 09:25

LaFlorecita wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Why support him because of nationality? I have supported him since 2012 (partly cause of team I think), but its pretty hard to at times. But I genuinely think that he is a pretty aggressive rider when he actually got great legs, unfortunately he shows that 2-3 times a year at this point.

There are some people on here who support pretty much every Colombian rider.

Fair enough. I think many people still support him after 12-13, regardless of nationality or whatever..
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,577
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

15 Sep 2018 09:36

Valv.Piti wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Why support him because of nationality? I have supported him since 2012 (partly cause of team I think), but its pretty hard to at times. But I genuinely think that he is a pretty aggressive rider when he actually got great legs, unfortunately he shows that 2-3 times a year at this point.

There are some people on here who support pretty much every Colombian rider.

Fair enough. I think many people still support him after 12-13, regardless of nationality or whatever..

Yeah, of course. I support him too, but he is not one of my favorites and I would not consider myself an actual fan. I've just noticed that there aren't many vocal fans on here, Nibali, Contador, even Froome have many, and the ones that I can think of all seem to mainly like him either because they're interested in Colombian cycling (e.g. Escarabajo) or a fan of the Movistar team (e.g. you)
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 30,594
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

15 Sep 2018 09:39

I agree, we don't seem to have as many vocal fans which mainly comes down to him not really doing great and not being the rider we thought he would be, I think. But yeah, of course Nibali and Contador have more fans (wouldnt call me a fan of either, but I like them both and understand why they have so many supporters). Froome is a different case, him being british and all and catching a pretty big fanbase that way around. I don't think he has that many supporters outside of the borders
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,577
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

15 Sep 2018 09:46

I think Nairo needs a change of scenery, get him away from Movistar
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,455
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], GuyIncognito, Ursus and 39 guests

Back to top