Register

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

16%
15%
15%
15%
All of the above
20%
He will only manage the double
19%

Total votes : 1278

09 Jul 2018 18:51

So the good news for Richie is he got time on Froome and the others

The bad news is GVA has the jersey and for the following reasons

1.BMC are still looking for a sponsorso will want that jersey for as long as possible and will work to keep it with GVA both tiring the team and leaviing Richie to his own devices
2. BMC may consider a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush...Richie for soem reason beyond me has decalred for Trek & before 1st August) but GVA has not declared anywhere yet so BMC may wnat to keep him sweet and keep the jersey on him til lthe rest day...lots of sponsors watching
3.So if GVA and KUng etc are defening the jersey on the cobbles who is minding Richie ???
4.Notice the body language between GVA and POrte/Gerrans when the hugs came...not the same as the body language with the others
5. A team with 2 goals as opposed to SKY with one is a hard team to manage
HelloDolly

Re:

09 Jul 2018 19:08

HelloDolly wrote:...Richie for soem reason beyond me has decalred for Trek & before 1st August)

Not hard to figure out if you try to be objective. One in the hand is worth more than two in the bush. Obviously he had the opportunity to sign earlier. But by August 1 that opportunity window might close because Trek sign someone else. BMC are going nowhere. It was a risk I am sure you would do exactly the same if you were in Porte's shoes.
Cookster15

Re: Re:

09 Jul 2018 19:48

Cookster15 wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:...Richie for soem reason beyond me has decalred for Trek & before 1st August)

Not hard to figure out if you try to be objective. One in the hand is worth more than two in the bush. Obviously he had the opportunity to sign earlier. But by August 1 that opportunity window might close because Trek sign someone else. BMC are going nowhere. It was a risk I am sure you would do exactly the same if you were in Porte's shoes.

Talk about missing the point

Whoever Porte declared for next year the rule is its not publisied until after 1st Aug
Porte coulda have kept it to himself and said he was still reviewing options

Now BMC know he is on the way out so backing GVA in the next week may be more attractive

Plus you dont know what I woudl do :rolleyes:
HelloDolly

09 Jul 2018 20:01

Blanco wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
Leinster wrote:Last time GvA was in yellow he had to go in the break in the mountains the next day to hang onto it! I’m sure the team’s priority is still Porte.

He should hang onto the jersey on stage 4 but stage 5 will be tough for him. Of course Porte is the focus still. But winning the stage should be a boost for team morale considering it's current situation.

Strange, I thought stage 5 really suits him, and he might go for the win there...

If gva isn’t in yellow in Quimper it’s because QS will have ganged up on him and BMC are focused on defending Porte.
Leinster

09 Jul 2018 21:38

HelloDolly wrote:
Cookster15 wrote:

Whoever Porte declared for next year the rule is its not publisied until after 1st Aug

Now BMC know he is on the way out so backing GVA in the next week may be more attractive

Backing GVA a classic rider for a stage win verses a possible Podium in Paris? I don't think so.
Cookster15

09 Jul 2018 22:05

Cookster15 wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:
Cookster15 wrote:

Backing GVA a classic rider for a stage win verses a possible Podium in Paris? I don't think so.

backing GVA for 7days in yellow( bird in the hand) versus the possibility of porte finishing on a good GC ( 2 in a bush)
HelloDolly

10 Jul 2018 00:02

Even though one or two of the upcoming stages suit GVA depending on how they are raced he could be out of yellow within a few stages. Doubt he holds it until the first rest day. The Bretagne stage should suit climbers more than classics riders as it has in the past. Also doubt doubt that Tejay survives the same stage re his chances of yellow.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

15 Jul 2018 11:14

Can't believe this crap :( Another chance gone.
User avatar DBotero

15 Jul 2018 11:16

End of another tour for Richie. I think next year he should gun for Giro + Vuelta. Leave the tour to rest for a year. Get the jinx out of the way.
saneguy

Re:

15 Jul 2018 11:46

saneguy wrote:End of another tour for Richie. I think next year he should gun for Giro + Vuelta. Leave the tour to rest for a year. Get the jinx out of the way.

He crashed or got sick In the Giro in 2015, the curse is there too. I find it strange for a guy with zero podiums he has never tried to win the Veulta.
Scarponi

15 Jul 2018 11:56

Scarponi wrote:
saneguy wrote:End of another tour for Richie. I think next year he should gun for Giro + Vuelta. Leave the tour to rest for a year. Get the jinx out of the way.

He crashed or got sick In the Giro in 2015, the curse is there too. I find it strange for a guy with zero podiums he has never tried to win the Veulta.

Maybe it's this year if the shoulder recovers in time ? I simply can't believe it.
movingtarget
Veteran

15 Jul 2018 12:47

I feel so sorry for him. I really hope he's got the mental toughness to bounce back, cos it's a bitter pill to swallow
User avatar PremierAndrew

15 Jul 2018 13:16

I think he does not have the experience of finishing a GT properly as a leader. Each crash, mechanical is a blow to the system leading to more and more nervousness
IndianCyclist

15 Jul 2018 13:57

I can't help but feel sorry for this guy. He obviously works his ars off to win GTs, but something seems to happen every time.
jmdirt

15 Jul 2018 14:51

bigcog

15 Jul 2018 14:52

VUELTA WINNER STATUS: CONFIRMED
MuskyOurSaviour

Re:

15 Jul 2018 15:43

bigcog wrote:https://twitter.com/ridemediaHQ/status/1018503620612927488 ???

You have to think most GC contenders would have ridden on in that situation. Ochowitz doesn't seem too pleased by the tone of that quote - and rightly so.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

15 Jul 2018 15:46

Incredibly bad technician and the opposite of tough. Not a TdF-winner.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

15 Jul 2018 15:49

Yep, it does beg the question why the boy didn't get back on the bike immediately after the incident.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

15 Jul 2018 16:22

If Lawson Craddock can keep riding with a fracture and Dan Martin can go through the cobbles today and take bonus seconds with his injuries ...why or why didnt Richie get back on the bike ...He didnt even try

The more I know about cycling the more I believe that its not your talent at cycling that makes champions ...its your will to win at all costs

Froome has that , Nibali has it...I am afraid Porte does not have it ...He seems to almost court disaster such is his worry that it will befall him

That twitter message from BMC owner did not sound too encouraging for Porte

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde To crash out on one stage 9 may be regarded as a misfortune; to crash on the next looks like carelessness.
HelloDolly

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing