Register

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

16%
15%
15%
15%
All of the above
20%
He will only manage the double
19%

Total votes : 1278

28 Oct 2017 13:01

I beg to differ about Porte' s profile in Oz. So many of the non cycling journalists ask about Porte and the TDF and when he will join Orica. Porte is by far the biggest cycling name in the non cycling media. Ewan would be second and A big gap to Matthews.
yaco

Re:

28 Oct 2017 13:46

yaco wrote:I beg to differ about Porte' s profile in Oz. So many of the non cycling journalists ask about Porte and the TDF and when he will join Orica. Porte is by far the biggest cycling name in the non cycling media. Ewan would be second and A big gap to Matthews.

Not saying Matthews is a bigger name just that he is under just as much pressure as Porte and he has had quite a few podiums now in good races but can't crack the win in a classic or at the Worlds. That said I think Matthews is close to breaking through. 2018 could be the year. As for Porte who knows but realistically he probably only has two more chances at the Tour or any other GT. And 2017 will be seen as another wasted opportunity considering his form leading into the race.
movingtarget
Veteran

12 Dec 2017 12:50

I have to admit I am in two minds about Tejay going to the Tour to support Richie. I think he would be motivated more by doing what he did in the Giro last year. Ride for GC and if the wheels fall off, look for a stage win. TJVG doesn't usually last long on the MTFs anymore not with the best riders so he would only be selected for the TTT and maybe medium mountain stages. I think I would rather see a domestique in his place who will give 100% for the team even if it's on the flat stages and medium ones. Tejay seems to do better when he has his own objectives. BMC don't have a good mountain squad and including Tejay isn't going to improve that and with only eight riders now I'm not sure TJVG is the answer for three weeks of solid team support.
movingtarget
Veteran

12 Dec 2017 13:48

That said, TVG best performance in the Tour was as a support for Cadel Evans.
User avatar Alexandre B.

12 Dec 2017 13:56

TJVG's objective for the last Giro was top-5, I guess. The consolation prize was a stage win.

So, he can't achieve his goals, only his consolation prizes. There's really no point in building a team around a rider like TJVG, who happens to not be able to perform according to his goals for several years. What could the motivation be for his team to work for him?
User avatar lenric

12 Dec 2017 15:21

I will wait and see with TVG - He's finally realised after 5+ years that's a good idea to bring his family to Europe to live during the season - This may improve his performance - Porte will need TVG at the TDF because outside of Caruso he has little help - I have no idea why BMC bring GVA to the TDF, seeing he has won two stages in his last four appearances, so it's not like he always 2 stages in each TDF - I'll cry if BMC bring Gerrans who can't stay on his bike in GT's as five DNF's in the last 7 GT's testifies - BMC needs to pick a smart and versatile team for the TDF - Something like

Porte
TVG
Caruso
Wyss
Ventoso
Kung
Schar

Then your 8th position depends on whether you go for mountain support or flat lands support, so you go for either De Marchi or J P Drucker.

BMC and Porte need to decide how serious is their attempt at the TDF - Evans chose a team in 20111 that were solely devoted to his cause - Enough said.
yaco

12 Dec 2017 16:26

I really can't see Porte winning on this route, but lets see...
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

12 Dec 2017 16:35

Valv.Piti wrote:I really can't see Porte winning on this route, but lets see...

I can't see Porte win on any route
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Re:

12 Dec 2017 16:48

Red Rick wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:I really can't see Porte winning on this route, but lets see...

I can't see Porte win on any route

Heh. I was high on him going into this year's Tour de France, but he was never going to win anyways since he didn't do anything on Belles Filles. With cobbles, a team time trial and mountain stages that doesn't really scream Lil Rich I don't really think he can do anything other than a top-3 at the absolute best, probably around 5th.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

12 Dec 2017 17:04

lenric wrote:TJVG's objective for the last Giro was top-5, I guess. The consolation prize was a stage win.

So, he can't achieve his goals, only his consolation prizes. There's really no point in building a team around a rider like TJVG, who happens to not be able to perform according to his goals for several years. What could the motivation be for his team to work for him?

He can give you good results in the one week races that Porte isn't racing and he can go for stage wins in gts, he's not a great gc contender in a gt, but itt's not like he doesn't gett any results.
Maybe they are overpaying him, but that's another story.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

12 Dec 2017 18:06

Porte should be riding the Giro - It's the most predictable in terms of route for any of the 3 GT's which best suit his characteristics.
yaco

Re:

12 Dec 2017 18:07

movingtarget wrote:I have to admit I am in two minds about Tejay going to the Tour to support Richie. I think he would be motivated more by doing what he did in the Giro last year. Ride for GC and if the wheels fall off, look for a stage win. TJVG doesn't usually last long on the MTFs anymore not with the best riders so he would only be selected for the TTT and maybe medium mountain stages. I think I would rather see a domestique in his place who will give 100% for the team even if it's on the flat stages and medium ones. Tejay seems to do better when he has his own objectives. BMC don't have a good mountain squad and including Tejay isn't going to improve that and with only eight riders now I'm not sure TJVG is the answer for three weeks of solid team support.

If his problem is more mental then he can improve in the mountains and be a good domestique for Porte IMHO.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

12 Dec 2017 18:40

yaco wrote:I will wait and see with TVG - He's finally realised after 5+ years that's a good idea to bring his family to Europe to live during the season - This may improve his performance - Porte will need TVG at the TDF because outside of Caruso he has little help - I have no idea why BMC bring GVA to the TDF, seeing he has won two stages in his last four appearances, so it's not like he always 2 stages in each TDF - I'll cry if BMC bring Gerrans who can't stay on his bike in GT's as five DNF's in the last 7 GT's testifies - BMC needs to pick a smart and versatile team for the TDF - Something like

Porte
TVG
Caruso
Wyss
Ventoso
Kung
Schar

Then your 8th position depends on whether you go for mountain support or flat lands support, so you go for either De Marchi or J P Drucker.

BMC and Porte need to decide how serious is their attempt at the TDF - Evans chose a team in 20111 that were solely devoted to his cause - Enough said.

No way Ventoso is going to TDF. I would send Roche instead of him and trust Bettiol for the 8th spot (kind of an all rounder)
Roku

12 Dec 2017 19:08

I just can't see GVA out of the Tour team, as he is their best chance to win a stage (and some of them are really good for him).
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re:

12 Dec 2017 23:44

Alexandre B. wrote:I just can't see GVA out of the Tour team, as he is their best chance to win a stage (and some of them are really good for him).

Tour team

Porte
Tj
Caruso
Gerrans
Kung
Van Avermaet
Dennis
Schar

This tema is for TTT and for cobbles

I would bring Tuens and Roche but dont think they are going to the Tour
HelloDolly

13 Dec 2017 01:07

Mayomaniac wrote:
lenric wrote:TJVG's objective for the last Giro was top-5, I guess. The consolation prize was a stage win.

He can give you good results in the one week races that Porte isn't racing and he can go for stage wins in gts, he's not a great gc contender in a gt, but itt's not like he doesn't gett any results.
Maybe they are overpaying him, but that's another story.

I won't disagree with you regarding one week races, though I'd be surprised if he managed to win any 1 week race... at least, when looking at his resume. But he could definitely achieve podiums.

However, I was speaking about GTs. It's really hard to motivate 7 guys to work for 1 guy who, somehow, can't achieve his goals in GTs.

BMC is a team with a nice budget, they should dump TJVG next year and hire a better all rounder. I bet they can afford a guy like Bardet.
User avatar lenric

Re:

13 Dec 2017 01:15

Alexandre B. wrote:That said, TVG best performance in the Tour was as a support for Cadel Evans.

Five years ago.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

13 Dec 2017 01:31

yaco wrote:Porte should be riding the Giro - It's the most predictable in terms of route for any of the 3 GT's which best suit his characteristics.

I think you make a good point but the marquee GT rider for each team usually does the biggest race in the world : the Tour. But it sounds like BMC won't be around for much longer unless they find some sponsors so all the talk about the future may be academic. Porte probably only has two more shots at the Tour and if BMC don't continue, which teams would pay Porte or TJVG ? GVA would be much easier to place. Or would Richie go and ride for Aru or Dumoulin ? No doubt about him as a quality domestique and he would probably still be given opportunities in shorter races but like Evans, Richie has the Tour fever at least for the short term. The difference is that Evans came close twice before and he and his team were always confident he could win it. Even the BMC management now is saying that are aiming for the podium. The past two years they said they were aiming for the win !
movingtarget
Veteran

13 Dec 2017 04:40

Roku wrote:
yaco wrote:I will wait and see with TVG - He's finally realised after 5+ years that's a good idea to bring his family to Europe to live during the season - This may improve his performance - Porte will need TVG at the TDF because outside of Caruso he has little help - I have no idea why BMC bring GVA to the TDF, seeing he has won two stages in his last four appearances, so it's not like he always 2 stages in each TDF - I'll cry if BMC bring Gerrans who can't stay on his bike in GT's as five DNF's in the last 7 GT's testifies - BMC needs to pick a smart and versatile team for the TDF - Something like

Porte
TVG
Caruso
Wyss
Ventoso
Kung
Schar

No way Ventoso is going to TDF. I would send Roche instead of him and trust Bettiol for the 8th spot (kind of an all rounder)

This is a suggested team with characteristics that can best help Porte - Of course you can change one or two members around - Will say my observation is Roche needs more help in the flats, as opposed to the mountains.
yaco

13 Dec 2017 04:41

HelloDolly wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:I just can't see GVA out of the Tour team, as he is their best chance to win a stage (and some of them are really good for him).

Tour team

Porte
Tj
Caruso
Gerrans
Kung
Van Avermaet
Dennis
Schar

This tema is for TTT and for cobbles

I would bring Tuens and Roche but dont think they are going to the Tour

GVA and Gerrans - These are exactly the type of riders, Porte should not want in his team if he is serious about the TDF.
yaco

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing