Log in:  

Register

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

2014
201
16%
2015
196
15%
2016
193
15%
2017
192
15%
All of the above
251
20%
He will only manage the double
245
19%
 
Total votes : 1278

Re: Re:

13 Dec 2017 04:46

movingtarget wrote:
yaco wrote:Porte should be riding the Giro - It's the most predictable in terms of route for any of the 3 GT's which best suit his characteristics.


I think you make a good point but the marquee GT rider for each team usually does the biggest race in the world : the Tour. But it sounds like BMC won't be around for much longer unless they find some sponsors so all the talk about the future may be academic. Porte probably only has two more shots at the Tour and if BMC don't continue, which teams would pay Porte or TJVG ? GVA would be much easier to place. Or would Richie go and ride for Aru or Dumoulin ? No doubt about him as a quality domestique and he would probably still be given opportunities in shorter races but like Evans, Richie has the Tour fever at least for the short term. The difference is that Evans came close twice before and he and his team were always confident he could win it. Even the BMC management now is saying that are aiming for the podium. The past two years they said they were aiming for the win !


Porte will feel his career is satisfied if he podium's at the TDF - Break it down into pure talent and he has enough podium - He needs to select the correct support team to achieve his goals - Reckon TVG will have a better season now that he's bitten the bullet and moved his family to Europe - Can win one of the lead up stage races before the Giro or the TDF - He will be widely sought at the end of 2018.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,492
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re:

13 Dec 2017 04:49

Alexandre B. wrote:I just can't see GVA out of the Tour team, as he is their best chance to win a stage (and some of them are really good for him).


GVA has won 2 stages in 5 appearances at the TDF - Far too many resources are allocated to help him for little results.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,492
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

13 Dec 2017 05:26

^ Sounding like DP there, Yaco :)
User avatar swuzzlebubble
Member
 
Posts: 583
Joined: 02 Nov 2009 00:30

Re: Re:

13 Dec 2017 09:21

yaco wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
yaco wrote:Porte should be riding the Giro - It's the most predictable in terms of route for any of the 3 GT's which best suit his characteristics.


I think you make a good point but the marquee GT rider for each team usually does the biggest race in the world : the Tour. But it sounds like BMC won't be around for much longer unless they find some sponsors so all the talk about the future may be academic. Porte probably only has two more shots at the Tour and if BMC don't continue, which teams would pay Porte or TJVG ? GVA would be much easier to place. Or would Richie go and ride for Aru or Dumoulin ? No doubt about him as a quality domestique and he would probably still be given opportunities in shorter races but like Evans, Richie has the Tour fever at least for the short term. The difference is that Evans came close twice before and he and his team were always confident he could win it. Even the BMC management now is saying that are aiming for the podium. The past two years they said they were aiming for the win !


Porte will feel his career is satisfied if he podium's at the TDF - Break it down into pure talent and he has enough podium - He needs to select the correct support team to achieve his goals - Reckon TVG will have a better season now that he's bitten the bullet and moved his family to Europe - Can win one of the lead up stage races before the Giro or the TDF - He will be widely sought at the end of 2018.


Would be good to see TJVG perform. I was happy for him to win a stage of the Giro. If he rides to his ability, no problem. Hopefully last season's stage win and his family relocating will give him a boost.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,509
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re:

13 Dec 2017 10:58

swuzzlebubble wrote:^ Sounding like DP there, Yaco :)


It will be interesting to see what Sunweb do with Matthews if Dumoulin rides the TDF - I think you can ride for GC and chase the green jersey, though my suspicion is Sunweb will send Matthews to the Giro - Let's wait and see.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,492
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: Re:

13 Dec 2017 11:50

yaco wrote:
swuzzlebubble wrote:^ Sounding like DP there, Yaco :)


It will be interesting to see what Sunweb do with Matthews if Dumoulin rides the TDF - I think you can ride for GC and chase the green jersey, though my suspicion is Sunweb will send Matthews to the Giro - Let's wait and see.


If the sprinter ranks are thin at the Giro as they sometimes are then Matthews has a chance for a jersey. Gaviria might do the Tour.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,509
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

13 Dec 2017 14:12

Now that Porte won't have to work for his leader Froome in the next Tour, one might only expect great things...
User avatar lenric
Member
 
Posts: 1,337
Joined: 19 May 2014 21:52

Re: Re:

13 Dec 2017 15:15

movingtarget wrote:
yaco wrote:
swuzzlebubble wrote:^ Sounding like DP there, Yaco :)


It will be interesting to see what Sunweb do with Matthews if Dumoulin rides the TDF - I think you can ride for GC and chase the green jersey, though my suspicion is Sunweb will send Matthews to the Giro - Let's wait and see.


If the sprinter ranks are thin at the Giro as they sometimes are then Matthews has a chance for a jersey. Gaviria might do the Tour.


Gaviria is riding the TDF, hence Kittel's decision to leave.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,492
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: Re:

27 Dec 2017 15:37

Escarabajo wrote:
movingtarget wrote:I have to admit I am in two minds about Tejay going to the Tour to support Richie. I think he would be motivated more by doing what he did in the Giro last year. Ride for GC and if the wheels fall off, look for a stage win. TJVG doesn't usually last long on the MTFs anymore not with the best riders so he would only be selected for the TTT and maybe medium mountain stages. I think I would rather see a domestique in his place who will give 100% for the team even if it's on the flat stages and medium ones. Tejay seems to do better when he has his own objectives. BMC don't have a good mountain squad and including Tejay isn't going to improve that and with only eight riders now I'm not sure TJVG is the answer for three weeks of solid team support.

If his problem is more mental then he can improve in the mountains and be a good domestique for Porte IMHO.


TeJay is a Julich clone, who was strong enough to be a superdom for Basso at CSC after his early TDF podium.
User avatar perico
Member
 
Posts: 1,211
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 21:57

27 Dec 2017 19:35

he`s on Strava......I preferred him when he was JP
https://www.strava.com/pros/6072239
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,430
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

25 Mar 2018 22:14

Who knows what's up with Porte? Will he ride Pais Vasco or other race soon?
repre
Junior Member
 
Posts: 115
Joined: 31 Dec 2017 05:28
Location: Kiev, Ukraine

Re: Re:

25 Mar 2018 22:29

yaco wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:I just can't see GVA out of the Tour team, as he is their best chance to win a stage (and some of them are really good for him).


GVA has won 2 stages in 5 appearances at the TDF - Far too many resources are allocated to help him for little results.


What has Porte won in his time with BMC?
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,255
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

Re: Re:

26 Mar 2018 07:02

El Pistolero wrote:
yaco wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:I just can't see GVA out of the Tour team, as he is their best chance to win a stage (and some of them are really good for him).


GVA has won 2 stages in 5 appearances at the TDF - Far too many resources are allocated to help him for little results.


What has Porte won in his time with BMC?


TDU and Tour de Romandie and a Stage in Paris-Nice in 2017 is about all that I can find.
Yingge
Member
 
Posts: 584
Joined: 10 Aug 2011 12:29
Location: Australia + Taiwan

26 Mar 2018 11:50

All Porte has done is give BMC hope that he'll podium in a GT one time, but due to failure and bad luck he has never managed.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu
Member
 
Posts: 646
Joined: 13 Jul 2016 20:36
Location: Paris

Re:

26 Mar 2018 13:05

Bardamu wrote:All Porte has done is give BMC hope that he'll podium in a GT one time, but due to failure and bad luck he has never managed.


Sounds like a category many riders fall into from different teams. If BMC are still willing to support TJVG then there is no doubt that Porte will also be supported.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,509
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re:

26 Mar 2018 13:26

repre wrote:Who knows what's up with Porte? Will he ride Pais Vasco or other race soon?

He is on the startlist
http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=MjgzNjQ=
Tim Booth
Member
 
Posts: 366
Joined: 18 Aug 2017 08:13

Re: Re:

26 Mar 2018 18:21

El Pistolero wrote:
yaco wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:I just can't see GVA out of the Tour team, as he is their best chance to win a stage (and some of them are really good for him).


GVA has won 2 stages in 5 appearances at the TDF - Far too many resources are allocated to help him for little results.


What has Porte won in his time with BMC?


You give your GC rider the best possible support in the TDF - GVA adds little support and is hardly a consistent stage winner at the TDF.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,492
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

26 Mar 2018 19:33

Yeah, lets send 7 domestiques to help Richie Porte crash out on the cobbles. Lmao.

Of course Greg should be on the team, there can't seriously be any doubt about that (as long he wants to go himself). There are a few very good stages for him and the guy has won 2 stages in the last 3 years.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,569
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re:

27 Mar 2018 00:14

Valv.Piti wrote:Yeah, lets send 7 domestiques to help Richie Porte crash out on the cobbles. Lmao.

Of course Greg should be on the team, there can't seriously be any doubt about that (as long he wants to go himself). There are a few very good stages for him and the guy has won 2 stages in the last 3 years.


Valverde might stay upright in the ITT of course.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,509
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

27 Mar 2018 09:59

any hopes for Porte to deliver in Pays Basque?
User avatar Lexman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,864
Joined: 02 Jul 2011 20:34
Location: Oise (France)

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Back to top