Register

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

16%
15%
15%
15%
All of the above
20%
He will only manage the double
19%

Total votes : 1260

Re: Re:

07 Jul 2018 22:12

Jancouver wrote:
del1962 wrote:Should GVA and TJ have dropped back?

Nobody should ever wait for TLMRP.

His teammates knows exactly what is going on and that he is not a true leader and therefore, they never wait for him. You cant blame them.

Its just annoying to come here and read the same “Porte will win the TdF” nonsense over and over and over.

Was hoping I wouldn't see Jan's gloating till at least a bit later in the race :) . I'm a porte fan but man this is a real bummer year after year.
austy37

07 Jul 2018 22:52

All this talking about GvA dropping back and waiting for Porte is a total nonsense. This team is a defacto gone and each rider is riding for themselves.

Just wait for the Roubaix stage, under no circumstances will Greg wait for the little midget as he will be doing his own race and will be going for the W.

As they both probably already signed new contracts with other teams for next year(s), practically, they are not even teammates anymore and for sure Greg does not give a crap about Porte's GC ambitions.

It is given that Porte will lose major time on the Roubaix stage, but honestly, I think he will be completely out of the GC picture by then anyway.
User avatar Jancouver

Re:

07 Jul 2018 23:16

Jancouver wrote:All this talking about GvA dropping back and waiting for Porte is a total nonsense. This team is a defacto gone and each rider is riding for themselves.

Just wait for the Roubaix stage, under no circumstances will Greg wait for the little midget as he will be doing his own race and will be going for the W.

As they both probably already signed new contracts with other teams for next year(s), practically, they are not even teammates anymore and for sure Greg does not give a crap about Porte's GC ambitions.

It is given that Porte will lose major time on the Roubaix stage, but honestly, I think he will be completely out of the GC picture by then anyway.

I'm not entirely sure a good cobbled rider can do a whole lot to help a GC guy who isn't very good on the cobbles anyway.
User avatar Koronin

08 Jul 2018 00:31

Porte wasn’t bad on the cobbles in ‘14.
User avatar Moviefan1203

08 Jul 2018 03:31

hazaran wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:GVA could have dropped back as he is stronger imo than TJ

GVA aint doing anything on GC ....

Either BMC are fully behind Porte or they are not?

And BMC may not win TTT...more likely SKY will win it

So strange to see Porte racing in on the final alone ...

And what was he doing so far back in the bunch anyways ....and where were Shar, Bevin & Kung

BMC is stopping, it's all for themselves in the Tour. Particularly Tejay, god knows he needs a result, it's been what 10 years :lol:

I agree this is all horrible timing for Porte. BMC have been losing staff during the week including Porte's trainer. The team looks like it is winding up and Porte finishes on his own on stage 1. The team already looks like it is disunited. TJVG is only really in the race for the TTT. It's a shame that Dennis already had done the Giro. The team already looks disorganized. Horrible team performance. Porte didn't even hit the deck so he should have been able to get going pretty quickly. This doesn't look good for the stages to come. And Porte was much too far back at that stage of the race. Gerrans for one should have realized that.
movingtarget
Veteran

08 Jul 2018 10:41

The issue for Porte and BMC is looking after Porte on the flat and hilly stages esp where they road narrows or where he can pick up a mechanical

Caruso can be with Porte in the mountains but after that the team that was required is to mind Porte (and do the TTT)

Not sure TJ & GVA are up for this and not sure Gerrans & Bevin are able for the minding part as they need to be there every day esp as the race goes on and have not had alot of experince of doing this at the Tour over 3 weeks or are nor able

BMC left at home some far more experienced GT riders who could look after Porte better
HelloDolly

08 Jul 2018 11:38

Off to Trek - good luck LRP!
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

08 Jul 2018 11:54

Well i suppose if Porte is going ot Trek ...then some BMC riders may not be so eager ot give up their own chances then ...unless they are going with him ?
HelloDolly

Re:

08 Jul 2018 12:24

HelloDolly wrote:Well i suppose if Porte is going ot Trek ...then some BMC riders may not be so eager ot give up their own chances then ...unless they are going with him ?

Exactly.
User avatar perico

08 Jul 2018 12:33

perico wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:Well i suppose if Porte is going ot Trek ...then some BMC riders may not be so eager ot give up their own chances then ...unless they are going with him ?

Exactly.

I imagine TJVG and GVA and others on BMC want to show what they can do.
Bolder

08 Jul 2018 15:37

If he ever gets yellow it will be a weird site with his team members going different ways!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

08 Jul 2018 15:43

Looks like Teuns, Dennis and Caruso are going to Bahrain which is where I thought Porte may have gone. Ciconne and Sosa will be joining Porte at Trek. BMC did a better job today riding much closer to the front.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

08 Jul 2018 16:13

movingtarget wrote:Looks like Teuns, Dennis and Caruso are going to Bahrain which is where I thought Porte may have gone. Ciconne and Sosa will be joining Porte at Trek. BMC did a better job today riding much closer to the front.

Porte may be joining Ewan at Trek - Then Richie no longer has to complain about Mitchelton Scott.
yaco

09 Jul 2018 00:53

yaco wrote:
movingtarget wrote:Looks like Teuns, Dennis and Caruso are going to Bahrain which is where I thought Porte may have gone. Ciconne and Sosa will be joining Porte at Trek. BMC did a better job today riding much closer to the front.

Porte may be joining Ewan at Trek - Then Richie no longer has to complain about Mitchelton Scott.

Looks like Ewan will be freelancing then. No sprint train. But he has the ability to do that. One good lead out pilot like a Renshaw type would have been good. Maybe the money Lotto was offering wasn't good enough.
movingtarget
Veteran

09 Jul 2018 11:36

movingtarget wrote:
yaco wrote:

Looks like Ewan will be freelancing then. No sprint train. But he has the ability to do that. One good lead out pilot like a Renshaw type would have been good. Maybe the money Lotto was offering wasn't good enough.

My info may not be correct but I understand Kluge could be at the same team - Ewan has Mezgec as his lead-out rider, though Mezgec is contracted at MS for 2019 - Mezgec was VERY disappointed at missing the TDF - Anyway if my info is correct Porte could be sharing a team with Porte which will be interesting.
yaco

09 Jul 2018 15:57

Good result for Richie and the team. Hopefully that boosts their morale and keeps their mind on the job now that GVA is in yellow for the moment.
movingtarget
Veteran

09 Jul 2018 16:09

Last time GvA was in yellow he had to go in the break in the mountains the next day to hang onto it! I’m sure the team’s priority is still Porte.
Leinster

Re:

09 Jul 2018 16:29

Leinster wrote:Last time GvA was in yellow he had to go in the break in the mountains the next day to hang onto it! I’m sure the team’s priority is still Porte.

He should hang onto the jersey on stage 4 but stage 5 will be tough for him. Of course Porte is the focus still. But winning the stage should be a boost for team morale considering it's current situation.
movingtarget
Veteran

09 Jul 2018 17:36

movingtarget wrote:
Leinster wrote:Last time GvA was in yellow he had to go in the break in the mountains the next day to hang onto it! I’m sure the team’s priority is still Porte.

He should hang onto the jersey on stage 4 but stage 5 will be tough for him. Of course Porte is the focus still. But winning the stage should be a boost for team morale considering it's current situation.

Yes the boost to team moral is the key. It was looking very shaky two days ago. Porte's Tour is back on track now.
Cookster15

09 Jul 2018 18:01

movingtarget wrote:

Strange, I thought stage 5 really suits him, and he might go for the win there...
User avatar Blanco

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing