Log in:  

Register

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

2014
201
16%
2015
196
15%
2016
193
15%
2017
192
15%
All of the above
251
20%
He will only manage the double
245
19%
 
Total votes : 1278

15 Aug 2018 15:18

Depends. Some people have an easier time remembering who won GTs compared to even the biggest one day races like the Worlds - that includes me as I get a lot more attached to a race over 3 weeks which I more or less watch every day.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,577
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

15 Aug 2018 17:46

Tim Booth wrote:
yaco wrote:
Tim Booth wrote:
yaco wrote:That's a good squad for Australia - Will add that Storer,Hamilton and Hindley should not be riding the under23's RR.

?
thought they had announced HAMILTON, HINDLEY, SCOTSON, STANNARD, STORER & WHELAN.


Yes - The three mentioned are WT riders - They should not be allowed to ride in the under 23's.

21 January 2016
Articles 2.14.018, 9.2.013 and 9.2.020 of the UCI Regulations related to the Men Under 23 category have recently been amended to clearly redefine that the U23 category is open to all men riders from 19 to 22 years, no matter their team affiliation.
Therefore, riders aged 19-22 who belong to a UCI WorldTeams are now allowed to participate in both the U23 road race and time trial of the UCI Road World Championships
http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/amendments-regulations-related-the-uci-u23-category/


I understand the rules allow them to ride but i disagree with the rules.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,509
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

23 Aug 2018 20:55

Apparently Little Richie Porte has a bad tummy.
hazaran
Member
 
Posts: 424
Joined: 14 Jul 2015 00:37

Re: Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

23 Aug 2018 23:30

Can BMC send someone to Haiti, find the doll? I'm no fan of his (as in indifferent), but come on! Damn...
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,155
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

Re: Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

24 Aug 2018 10:02

Tonton wrote:Can BMC send someone to Haiti, find the doll? I'm no fan of his (as in indifferent), but come on! Damn...

But what if there's more than one?
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,497
Joined: 17 Apr 2013 18:38
Location: Denmark

Re: Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

24 Aug 2018 11:33

Cance > TheRest wrote:
Tonton wrote:Can BMC send someone to Haiti, find the doll? I'm no fan of his (as in indifferent), but come on! Damn...

But what if there's more than one?


One is certainly located somewhere close to Lugano in master's collections. ;)
bambino
Member
 
Posts: 847
Joined: 24 May 2013 10:37

26 Aug 2018 18:21

Was it crazy that Porte was most heavily favored to win according to the punters in the week before Vuelta start?

[Screen cap I made of the outright odds:
https://ton.twitter.com/i/ton/data/dm/1030209902545911813/1030209895583375360/gdZlcZ62.jpg ]
joepa

"All is ephemeral - fame and the famous as well."
* read my Twitter
User avatar joe_papp
Member
 
Posts: 1,463
Joined: 13 May 2009 15:57
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Re:

26 Aug 2018 18:28

joe_papp wrote:Was it crazy that Porte was most heavily favored to win according to the punters in the week before Vuelta start?

[Screen cap I made of the outright odds:
https://ton.twitter.com/i/ton/data/dm/1030209902545911813/1030209895583375360/gdZlcZ62.jpg ]

Heavily favoured, definitely, but was he ever heavily favoured? I thought of him as the favourite tbh, but when you do that you gotta remember that Porte is in fact Porte and therefore is going to mess it all up over three weeks as per usual. This time, he did it before the race even begun. Chapeau!
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,577
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

26 Aug 2018 18:32

Valv.Piti wrote:
joe_papp wrote:Was it crazy that Porte was most heavily favored to win according to the punters in the week before Vuelta start?

[Screen cap I made of the outright odds:
https://ton.twitter.com/i/ton/data/dm/1030209902545911813/1030209895583375360/gdZlcZ62.jpg ]

Heavily favoured, definitely, but was he ever heavily favoured? I thought of him as the favourite tbh, but when you do that you gotta remember that Porte is in fact Porte and therefore is going to mess it all up over three weeks as per usual. This time, he did it before the race even begun. Chapeau!


In fairness Porte has not fully recovered from his crash and has gastroenteritis ...I think he didn't want to be at the Vuelta from his interviews...BMC must have made him attend....still looking for their moneys worth
HelloDolly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,228
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 00:12
Location: Birmingham

26 Aug 2018 18:49

Porte needs to toughen up and end his fixation with the TDF - He should be using every GT as an opportunity to achieve a good GC result.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,509
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: Re:

26 Aug 2018 18:52

HelloDolly wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
joe_papp wrote:Was it crazy that Porte was most heavily favored to win according to the punters in the week before Vuelta start?

[Screen cap I made of the outright odds:
https://ton.twitter.com/i/ton/data/dm/1030209902545911813/1030209895583375360/gdZlcZ62.jpg ]

Heavily favoured, definitely, but was he ever heavily favoured? I thought of him as the favourite tbh, but when you do that you gotta remember that Porte is in fact Porte and therefore is going to mess it all up over three weeks as per usual. This time, he did it before the race even begun. Chapeau!


In fairness Porte has not fully recovered from his crash and has gastroenteritis ...I think he didn't want to be at the Vuelta from his interviews...BMC must have made him attend....still looking for their moneys worth

Maybe, but I cannot not think that Porte is just a softie. And soft guys don't win GCs. Its not a great attitude IMO.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,577
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

26 Aug 2018 19:42

He only lost 13 ish minutes so he's still fine. :rolleyes:
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,230
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

26 Aug 2018 21:13

He can always go in a breakaway and do a Pereiro.
User avatar SHAD0W93
Member
 
Posts: 844
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 03:50

26 Aug 2018 22:12

he hasn't finished a race past July since 2013. That says it all, basically
User avatar search
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,044
Joined: 29 Aug 2009 10:43

Re:

27 Aug 2018 00:32

yaco wrote:Porte needs to toughen up and end his fixation with the TDF - He should be using every GT as an opportunity to achieve a good GC result.

On this we can agree!

I smell DNF in one of these hard stages.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,361
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

Re: Re:

27 Aug 2018 05:27

Escarabajo wrote:
yaco wrote:Porte needs to toughen up and end his fixation with the TDF - He should be using every GT as an opportunity to achieve a good GC result.

On this we can agree!

I smell DNF in one of these hard stages.


Riders preparing for the Worlds sometimes drop out of the Vuelta early but Porte needs to finish this race and said before the start he hopes to come out of the race in better form so it sounds like he at least wants the kms in his legs. I don't know anyone that would perform well with gastro and no racing since stage nine of the Tour. Porte has learned to be a realist and his own expectations are never on the level of some of his fans and the media. Even when he made it clear before the race started some people still treat his performance as if he is lining up at the start of the Tour. He admitted that crashing out of the Tour took a mental toll. No surprise there. Even Contador got exasperated by constantly crashing. I don't think Porte is mentally soft otherwise he would have wrapped his season already and BMC couldn't have cared less. But he still wants to do well in the Worlds which is a good sign.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,544
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Re:

27 Aug 2018 05:34

Valv.Piti wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
joe_papp wrote:Was it crazy that Porte was most heavily favored to win according to the punters in the week before Vuelta start?

[Screen cap I made of the outright odds:
https://ton.twitter.com/i/ton/data/dm/1030209902545911813/1030209895583375360/gdZlcZ62.jpg ]

Heavily favoured, definitely, but was he ever heavily favoured? I thought of him as the favourite tbh, but when you do that you gotta remember that Porte is in fact Porte and therefore is going to mess it all up over three weeks as per usual. This time, he did it before the race even begun. Chapeau!


In fairness Porte has not fully recovered from his crash and has gastroenteritis ...I think he didn't want to be at the Vuelta from his interviews...BMC must have made him attend....still looking for their moneys worth

Maybe, but I cannot not think that Porte is just a softie. And soft guys don't win GCs. Its not a great attitude IMO.


Porte doesn't set the odds for the races. Maybe if people had been through what he has been through they wouldn't be making ridiculous comments about him. Even so called hard men succumb to illness sometimes. Porte was even criticized when he won the TDS. No wonder many sportsmen refuse to read about themselves. What is the point ?
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,544
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re:

27 Aug 2018 06:15

search wrote:he hasn't finished a race past July since 2013. That says it all, basically

This is the first stage race he has been in post July since 2013, and is still in progress, what a bizarre argument.
Singer01
Member
 
Posts: 1,130
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 19:04

Re: Re:

27 Aug 2018 06:24

movingtarget wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
joe_papp wrote:Was it crazy that Porte was most heavily favored to win according to the punters in the week before Vuelta start?

[Screen cap I made of the outright odds:
https://ton.twitter.com/i/ton/data/dm/1030209902545911813/1030209895583375360/gdZlcZ62.jpg ]

Heavily favoured, definitely, but was he ever heavily favoured? I thought of him as the favourite tbh, but when you do that you gotta remember that Porte is in fact Porte and therefore is going to mess it all up over three weeks as per usual. This time, he did it before the race even begun. Chapeau!


In fairness Porte has not fully recovered from his crash and has gastroenteritis ...I think he didn't want to be at the Vuelta from his interviews...BMC must have made him attend....still looking for their moneys worth

Maybe, but I cannot not think that Porte is just a softie. And soft guys don't win GCs. Its not a great attitude IMO.


Porte doesn't set the odds for the races. Maybe if people had been through what he has been through they wouldn't be making ridiculous comments about him. Even so called hard men succumb to illness sometimes. Porte was even criticized when he won the TDS. No wonder many sportsmen refuse to read about themselves. What is the point ?
I understand Porte doesn't set the odds for races. I was just commenting on the massive disconnect b/w how the punters must've been wagering and the reality of Porte's form, for him to have been so heavily favored at the time when I screen-grabbed the odds.

And Porte is obviously a talented and accomplished elite euro pro. I don't know anything about his character, and honestly don't have a good idea of whether or not he has a history of mental softness and discretionary race abandons. He seems to crash and/or get sick at critical moments, and his GT results since 2011 aren't such that I would've thought he really merited being hyped to the level that he was before the Vuelta.

This wasn't meant to be a criticism of Porte as a person or rider - just commenting on how seriously unrealistic expectations seem to have been raised by the fans who were betting on him for the Vuelta.
joepa

"All is ephemeral - fame and the famous as well."
* read my Twitter
User avatar joe_papp
Member
 
Posts: 1,463
Joined: 13 May 2009 15:57
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

27 Aug 2018 07:29

Now he's saying he has no intentions to go for the Vuelta GC from the beginning. Yeah right, why is he riding then? Can't see him winning any stage in this shape. Will go home early I believe.
User avatar Oliver
Member
 
Posts: 343
Joined: 29 Jan 2012 20:38

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fus087, Red Rick and 36 guests

Back to top