Register

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

16%
15%
15%
15%
All of the above
20%
He will only manage the double
19%

Total votes : 1278

23 Sep 2018 10:12

My post from the 27th August rings true - A national team never should never build a team around Porte.
yaco

Re:

23 Sep 2018 14:53

Red Rick wrote:Portes best years and opportunities have been over for a while.

Sad but true unless he pulls a rabbit out of a hat next year instead of the usual snake. Some people keep referring back to Evans winning the Tour at 34 but Evans was operating on another level and was a completely different type of rider. How many people can honestly say, that they thought Geraint Thomas would win a Tour ? Not me. Sport is full of surprises but I'm not sure Porte will be one of them.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Re:

23 Sep 2018 15:09

movingtarget wrote:

Sad but true unless he pulls a rabbit out of a hat next year instead of the usual snake. Some people keep referring back to Evans winning the Tour at 34 but Evans was operating on another level and was a completely different type of rider. How many people can honestly say they thought Geraint Thomas would win a Tour ? Not me. Sport is full of surprises but I'm not sure Porte will be one of them.

Evans was a gutsy rider too. Plus, in 2011, he didn’t have to deal with a pre-ban Bertie flying on all cylinders that year- not belittling his victory, as there were many instances where Evans could/should have won another TdF.
Before 2011, Evans had 3-4 GT podiums, so really the most shocking thing about him winning was that he beat Bertie and Schleck to win.

Porte, OTOH, has 0 GT podiums and will be 34 years old. He also won’t be facing a weakened opposition like Evans in 2011. On top of that, there was no Sky Train to deal with in those days.
User avatar perico

23 Sep 2018 15:25

Porte could have been Thomas this year if he hadn't left Sky.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

23 Sep 2018 17:30

Red Rick wrote:Porte could have been Thomas this year if he hadn't left Sky.

I am not sure about that

The thing is Porte could match Thomas on climbing ability but that is it
Thomas can take pressure of leadership, can command loyalty and confidence of a team, keeps his head up when down,etc...Wining isn't always about the legs. Porte has been (is?) a top climber but not a top GC leader

I cant see him winning the Tour at Trek...for one thing he doesn't have the team to match SKY and he doesn't have the youth to match Dumoulin or Roglic
HelloDolly

Re:

23 Sep 2018 18:30

rick james

23 Sep 2018 18:41

rick james wrote:

Hahahaha :D :D :lol: :lol:
Eli

24 Sep 2018 00:36

HelloDolly wrote:

I am not sure about that

The thing is Porte could match Thomas on climbing ability but that is it
Thomas can take pressure of leadership, can command loyalty and confidence of a team, keeps his head up when down,etc...Wining isn't always about the legs. Porte has been (is?) a top climber but not a top GC leader

I cant see him winning the Tour at Trek...for one thing he doesn't have the team to match SKY and he doesn't have the youth to match Dumoulin or Roglic

Thomas actually looked comfortable winning the Tour. No falls and riding for the best team in the world helps. It was almost the perfect race from a GT contender. Bernal as the last man standing was obviously a bonus on some of the MTFs. Talent wise I think Thomas and Porte are pretty close but that's not the full picture of course.
movingtarget
Veteran

24 Sep 2018 11:52

rick james wrote:

Now that made me laugh!
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

24 Sep 2018 12:07

rick james wrote:

haha!!! Very good!
Son of Amsterhammer

25 Sep 2018 10:03

Somehow Richie Porte is captain of BMC for the Hammer Series in Hong Kong on October 14 - This is not a joke.
yaco

Re:

25 Sep 2018 17:45

yaco wrote:Somehow Richie Porte is captain of BMC for the Hammer Series in Hong Kong on October 14 - This is not a joke.

Hammer Series has team leaders? Who knew? I can't find anything in the description of the Leader role Hammer Sprint or Hammer Pursuit Are they designated to be the 4th man over the line or the first? Does any of this really matter?

User avatar myrideissteelerthanyours

26 Sep 2018 04:15

myrideissteelerthanyours wrote:
yaco wrote:Somehow Richie Porte is captain of BMC for the Hammer Series in Hong Kong on October 14 - This is not a joke.

Hammer Series has team leaders? Who knew? I can't find anything in the description of the Leader role Hammer Sprint or Hammer Pursuit Are they designated to be the 4th man over the line or the first? Does any of this really matter?

It's a worry that you can't see the relevance of the post - One is that Porte should not be captain of anything after his recent performances and that Porte who doesn't want to race will still racing in Mid October.
yaco

Re:

26 Sep 2018 09:19

He's on his way to become the new Betancur
ice&fire

26 Sep 2018 11:27

ice&fire wrote:

Except Porte races a bit more often.
yaco

26 Sep 2018 15:17

ice&fire wrote:

C'mon it's nowhere near that bad.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

26 Sep 2018 15:53

The Tasmanian is one of the strongest stage racers in the pro peloton, with wins at Paris-Nice, Volta a Catalunya, Tour de Romandie, Tour de Suisse, Tour Down Under and Volta ao Algarve on his considerable CV. After crashing out of this season’s Tour de France in July, Porte returned to competition at the Vuelta a España and will hope to end his time with BMC Racing Team on a high note in Hong Kong.

This sounds funny. :D Actually they will have a good line-up. -> https://www.hammerseries.com/en/hong-kong/news/hammer-hong-kong-team-captains-revealed

But the courses will be pan flat, which is a disgrace for this location.
Max Rockatansky

Re: Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

26 Sep 2018 17:08

Max Rockatansky wrote:
The Tasmanian is one of the strongest stage racers in the pro peloton, with wins at Paris-Nice, Volta a Catalunya, Tour de Romandie, Tour de Suisse, Tour Down Under and Volta ao Algarve on his considerable CV. After crashing out of this season’s Tour de France in July, Porte returned to competition at the Vuelta a España and will hope to end his time with BMC Racing Team on a high note in Hong Kong.

This sounds funny. :D Actually they will have a good line-up. -> https://www.hammerseries.com/en/hong-kong/news/hammer-hong-kong-team-captains-revealed

But the courses will be pan flat, which is a disgrace for this location.

I doubt it will be pan flat though I am trying to work out the logistics of how you race it in one day - I look forward to attending.
yaco

28 Sep 2018 20:14

You guys are so harsh on Porte. He is a very unlucky rider. Amazing how unlucky, really.
barmaher

28 Sep 2018 21:39

myrideissteelerthanyours wrote:

Dear Teams,
Please let us have the name of one fairly well known rider who you are fairly sure will be in the Hong Kong event for our promotional purposes.
With thanks,
Hammer

(although this probably ought to continue in a Hammer thread)
Max Rockatansky wrote:But the courses will be pan flat, which is a disgrace for this location.

I thought the entire concept was predicated on a hilly circuit for Day 2.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing