Register

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

16%
15%
15%
15%
All of the above
20%
He will only manage the double
19%

Total votes : 1278

Re:

29 Sep 2018 14:50

barmaher wrote:You guys are so harsh on Porte. He is a very unlucky rider. Amazing how unlucky, really.

There are a lot of unlucky riders. A lot of guys that can’t stay upright.
User avatar perico

Re:

29 Sep 2018 17:57

barmaher wrote:You guys are so harsh on Porte. He is a very unlucky rider. Amazing how unlucky, really.

Luck is sometimes a factor for sure, but Porte had so much "bad luck" that one cant help but wonder if he is really just unlucky ...
User avatar Akuryo

Re: Re:

29 Sep 2018 21:09

Akuryo wrote:

Luck is sometimes a factor for sure, but Porte had so much "bad luck" that one cant help but wonder if he is really just unlucky ...

When you are almost 34 years old and you have one top ten TDF result and no one-day race results at all, clearly, it is not about being unlucky.

He should stick to the Willunga Hill race and few other one week races and keep his mouth shut when it comes to grand tours and one-day races.

How is he even able to convince all his fans and even some team managers that he is a GC or Monument/WC worthy rider?

I just don't get it! And yet, year after year, I read these crazy comments here ... God help me to understand this crazy logic :confused:
User avatar Jancouver

29 Sep 2018 23:53

Jancouver wrote:
Akuryo wrote:

When you are almost 34 years old and you have one top ten TDF result and no one-day race results at all, clearly, it is not about being unlucky.

He should stick to the Willunga Hill race and few other one week races and keep his mouth shut when it comes to grand tours and one-day races.

How is he even able to convince all his fans and even some team managers that he is a GC or Monument/WC worthy rider?

I just don't get it! And yet, year after year, I read these crazy comments here ... God help me to understand this crazy logic :confused:

Maybe most are posted by Richie himself in different guises

Afterall he may not have the results but certainly got the money
6 million euros for 2 years at BMC
2 million a year at Trek

Publicity helps
HelloDolly

Re: Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

30 Sep 2018 00:40

He wouldn't be the first rider to be paid well and not deliver racing results to match the salary.

These days its the sponsor(s), and their customers, who determine if a rider is worth what he is being paid.
Yingge

30 Sep 2018 03:05

Yingge wrote:He wouldn't be the first rider to be paid well and not deliver racing results to match the salary.

These days its the sponsor(s), and their customers, who determine if a rider is worth what he is being paid.

Right. TJVG was getting well paid for years and not winning anything. At least Porte was winning some races just not grand tours. Thomas was also getting paid well at Sky and at age 32 he finally had a good year. There are quite a few in the well paid, lack of results category.
movingtarget
Veteran

03 Oct 2018 07:49

yaco wrote:
Max Rockatansky wrote:
The Tasmanian is one of the strongest stage racers in the pro peloton, with wins at Paris-Nice, Volta a Catalunya, Tour de Romandie, Tour de Suisse, Tour Down Under and Volta ao Algarve on his considerable CV. After crashing out of this season’s Tour de France in July, Porte returned to competition at the Vuelta a España and will hope to end his time with BMC Racing Team on a high note in Hong Kong.

This sounds funny. :D Actually they will have a good line-up. -> https://www.hammerseries.com/en/hong-kong/news/hammer-hong-kong-team-captains-revealed

But the courses will be pan flat, which is a disgrace for this location.

I doubt it will be pan flat though I am trying to work out the logistics of how you race it in one day - I look forward to attending.

it is flat, same course as in the Hong Kong challenge. And they only do the "Hammer Sprint" and "Hammer Chase", one after another
User avatar search

03 Oct 2018 13:53

search wrote:
yaco wrote:
Max Rockatansky wrote:
The Tasmanian is one of the strongest stage racers in the pro peloton, with wins at Paris-Nice, Volta a Catalunya, Tour de Romandie, Tour de Suisse, Tour Down Under and Volta ao Algarve on his considerable CV. After crashing out of this season’s Tour de France in July, Porte returned to competition at the Vuelta a España and will hope to end his time with BMC Racing Team on a high note in Hong Kong.

This sounds funny. :D Actually they will have a good line-up. -> https://www.hammerseries.com/en/hong-kong/news/hammer-hong-kong-team-captains-revealed

But the courses will be pan flat, which is a disgrace for this location.

I doubt it will be pan flat though I am trying to work out the logistics of how you race it in one day - I look forward to attending.

it is flat, same course as in the Hong Kong challenge. And they only do the "Hammer Sprint" and "Hammer Chase", one after another

Yeah I found out the course yesterday - Sprints will be interesting as the finishing straight is only around 200 metres at best and the course has almost two dead turns which will make it interesting for the Chase.
yaco

17 Oct 2018 13:41

Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

Re:

17 Oct 2018 14:06

glassmoon wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/richie-portes-time-at-bmc-ends-with-tour-of-guangxi-abandon/

well... :o

At least he's consistent. :p
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

17 Oct 2018 14:27

what a terrible year for Porte...
User avatar Lexman

Re:

17 Oct 2018 14:40

Lexman wrote:what a terrible year for Porte...

He won double the amount of races as in 2014 and 2016. A pretty significant victory too.
User avatar tobydawq

17 Oct 2018 14:46

He'll win Tirreno-Adriatico next year.. I can feel it. :p

One of the few one-week races missing from his palmarès.
Velolover2

17 Oct 2018 15:41

Utterly useless rider outside of TDU, some races before july, and in july until he falls. After that you might as well field Ronald McDonald instead of this clown
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

17 Oct 2018 15:42

Porte lasted one stage longer than expected - His lack of professionalism since the TDF has been staggering.
yaco

Re:

17 Oct 2018 16:14

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Utterly useless rider outside of TDU, some races before july, and in july until he falls. After that you might as well field Ronald McDonald instead of this clown

yaco wrote:Porte lasted one stage longer than expected - His lack of professionalism since the TDF has been staggering.

Pathetic rider.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

17 Oct 2018 18:38

I'll start with, I hope that he has a better go of it moving forward. It is however fitting that he ends his time with BMC by quitting a race. Without going Googlefinger, I'd guess that he has one of the highest drop out rates of any team leader (especially if you count crash out in that figure as well).
jmdirt

17 Oct 2018 19:18

2 million a year at Trek

Publicity helps

Seriously?????
Trek are idiots.
I'd rather give that money to Sosa even if he never wins anything its a better gamble!
saunaking

17 Oct 2018 19:30

saunaking wrote:

2 million a year at Trek

Publicity helps

Seriously?????
Trek are idiots.
I'd rather give that money to Sosa even if he never wins anything its a better gamble!

It's better than paying Aru 3M per year for 3 years, or even Diego Rosa getting 3.5M for 3 years at Sky.
You get a guy that can win a lot of shorter stage races or at least finish top 3.
If you sign him because you want to win the Tour, that's a different thing...
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

17 Oct 2018 23:36

Mayomaniac wrote:
saunaking wrote:

2 million a year at Trek

Publicity helps

Seriously?????
Trek are idiots.

It's better than paying Aru 3M per year for 3 years, or even Diego Rosa getting 3.5M for 3 years at Sky.
You get a guy that can win a lot of shorter stage races or at least finish top 3.
If you sign him because you want to win the Tour, that's a different thing...

But he WAS imho signed to win a the Tour/GT... ;)
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing