Register

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

16%
15%
15%
15%
All of the above
20%
He will only manage the double
19%

Total votes : 1278

18 Oct 2018 00:07

Not sure he was ever worth that amount.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

18 Oct 2018 00:26

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Utterly useless rider outside of TDU, some races before july, and in july until he falls. After that you might as well field Ronald McDonald instead of this clown

Why don't you say what you really mean..........
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

18 Oct 2018 00:29

yaco wrote:Porte lasted one stage longer than expected - His lack of professionalism since the TDF has been staggering.

You mean his lack of motivation ?
movingtarget
Veteran

18 Oct 2018 00:45

After reading the CN news article about the first transgender world champion cyclist, it just occurred to me that perhaps the ladies version of the Giro, "Giro Rosa' (as there is no ladies TdF equivalent) may be the ideal length and the only "Grand Tour" that Porte has a chance to win.
User avatar Jancouver

18 Oct 2018 01:05

Richie Porte & Tejay Van Garderen the two riders Cyclingnewsfeed love to write about because they so much reaction...just look at all the comment they get

Have to say while I think Porte is a talented if doomed rider I think his lack of motivation and racing since the Tour has been totally unprofessional
Doesn't give 2 hoots about BMC even though they paid him a very big wage ...and we all know how Jim O thinks about Porte
But a poor showing by Porte ...could have made some effort...obviously he has already moved on to the 2019 season and his prep for that while still on the BMC payroll
HelloDolly

Re: Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

18 Oct 2018 07:18

I thought past it riders only went to Trek to sell bikes, hence the decent wages for someone not expected to win anything of significant. I'm sure he'll win next year but not on the GT front. Shame he went down hill/ran out of luck since leaving SKY.
wheresmybrakes

18 Oct 2018 09:57

wheresmybrakes wrote:I thought past it riders only went to Trek to sell bikes, hence the decent wages for someone not expected to win anything of significant. I'm sure he'll win next year but not on the GT front. Shame he went down hill/ran out of luck since leaving SKY.

So he will do better than the rest of the Trek team then........
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

18 Oct 2018 10:08

HelloDolly wrote:Richie Porte & Tejay Van Garderen the two riders Cyclingnewsfeed love to write about because they so much reaction...just look at all the comment they get

Have to say while I think Porte is a talented if doomed rider I think his lack of motivation and racing since the Tour has been totally unprofessional
Doesn't give 2 hoots about BMC even though they paid him a very big wage ...and we all know how Jim O thinks about Porte
But a poor showing by Porte ...could have made some effort...obviously he has already moved on to the 2019 season and his prep for that while still on the BMC payroll

I think Porte probably decided on a "go slow" after the quick comments during the Tour about him NOT breaking his collarbone and his bags being left at the hotel for him. I don't think that comment from Ochowicz was any more professional than Porte's behavior and not exactly helping a rider who was probably stressed out and in a bad state after another early exit from his main goal for the season. Both of them let their frustration show and going in opposite directions was the best decision for all I think.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Re:

18 Oct 2018 13:48

movingtarget wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:Richie Porte & Tejay Van Garderen the two riders Cyclingnewsfeed love to write about because they so much reaction...just look at all the comment they get

I think Porte probably decided on a "go slow" after the quick comments during the Tour about him NOT breaking his collarbone and his bags being left at the hotel for him. I don't think that comment from Ochowicz was any more professional than Porte's behavior and not exactly helping a rider who was probably stressed out and in a bad state after another early exit from his main goal for the season. Both of them let their frustration show and going in opposite directions was the best decision for all I think.

Porte has gone next level since the TDF - Somehow got drafted in as team leader for the Worlds, after not being on the long list, could and should have done better at the Vuelta if he didn't spit the dummy and of course was late withdrawal form the World's and of course HK Hammer Series was farcical - Organisers interviewed him for + 5 minutes shortly before the start of the race - I'm eating tapas 200 metres from the start line when I hear the gun to start the race, then at the same time I feel something brushing past my arm which is Porte being frantically led through the crowd towards the start line - So he missed the start which means you are no use in that part of the Hammer Series and then lasts less than 2kms in the TTT - And of course he was never going to finish the Tour of Guangxi - The media has been exceedingly kind to Porte.
yaco

Re: Re:

18 Oct 2018 21:13

yaco wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

Porte has gone next level since the TDF - Somehow got drafted in as team leader for the Worlds, after not being on the long list, could and should have done better at the Vuelta if he didn't spit the dummy and of course was late withdrawal form the World's and of course HK Hammer Series was farcical - Organisers interviewed him for + 5 minutes shortly before the start of the race - I'm eating tapas 200 metres from the start line when I hear the gun to start the race, then at the same time I feel something brushing past my arm which is Porte being frantically led through the crowd towards the start line - So he missed the start which means you are no use in that part of the Hammer Series and then lasts less than 2kms in the TTT - And of course he was never going to finish the Tour of Guangxi - The media has been exceedingly kind to Porte.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it was a disgrace leaving Matthews out of the Australian team and Porte mentioning Cadel Evans winning the Tour at 34 makes me wince. Evans was on a different level as a professional. Yes Porte always had talent but you aren't born with character, that has to develop over time.......
movingtarget
Veteran

20 Oct 2018 23:24

movingtarget wrote:
Yingge wrote:He wouldn't be the first rider to be paid well and not deliver racing results to match the salary.

These days its the sponsor(s), and their customers, who determine if a rider is worth what he is being paid.

Right. TJVG was getting well paid for years and not winning anything. At least Porte was winning some races just not grand tours. Thomas was also getting paid well at Sky and at age 32 he finally had a good year. There are quite a few in the well paid, lack of results category.

Be fair to G. He helped the team win 4 TdFs, so he pulled his weight. He didn’t actually win that many races, but he had a big hand in making it happen. TJ and Richie don’t even have the mitigating factor of either of them helping the other to a good result.
Leinster

21 Oct 2018 04:23

Leinster wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
Yingge wrote:He wouldn't be the first rider to be paid well and not deliver racing results to match the salary.

These days its the sponsor(s), and their customers, who determine if a rider is worth what he is being paid.

Right. TJVG was getting well paid for years and not winning anything. At least Porte was winning some races just not grand tours. Thomas was also getting paid well at Sky and at age 32 he finally had a good year. There are quite a few in the well paid, lack of results category.

Be fair to G. He helped the team win 4 TdFs, so he pulled his weight. He didn’t actually win that many races, but he had a big hand in making it happen. TJ and Richie don’t even have the mitigating factor of either of them helping the other to a good result.

Well you could say that Thomas had less opportunities than Porte to team lead in a grand tour. Porte also did some great work at Sky as a domestique. TJ just isn't a good domestique because he is too inconsistent and his climbing level now has plummeted compared to what it used to be. Even his TT isn't what it was.
movingtarget
Veteran

21 Oct 2018 04:57

Leinster wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

You are missing the point with Porte while Tejay is a totally separate issue- Porte 'cracked the shits' after his unfortunate incident at the TDF - Didn't train as well as should have, didn't want to ride any races after the TDF, refused to try his best at the Vuelta, said he would ride at the World's when he had little form, motivation or pedigree,treated the Hammer Series with contempt by missing the start of the race and dropping out of the TTT after 2kms and of course withdrew from Guangxi after stage 2 - The last few months has been UNPROFESSIONALISM at its finest by Porte.
yaco

21 Oct 2018 07:27

Well his treatment of the Hammer Series is something I can get behind
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

21 Oct 2018 10:28

But that is just his treatment of every race past July.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

21 Oct 2018 13:01

Red Rick wrote:Well his treatment of the Hammer Series is something I can get behind

Can't see it lasting. Even this website can barely cover it.
movingtarget
Veteran

21 Oct 2018 13:13

yaco wrote:
Leinster wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

You are missing the point with Porte while Tejay is a totally separate issue- Porte 'cracked the shits' after his unfortunate incident at the TDF - Didn't train as well as should have, didn't want to ride any races after the TDF, refused to try his best at the Vuelta, said he would ride at the World's when he had little form, motivation or pedigree,treated the Hammer Series with contempt by missing the start of the race and dropping out of the TTT after 2kms and of course withdrew from Guangxi after stage 2 - The last few months has been UNPROFESSIONALISM at its finest by Porte.

You could also say that the past four months doesn't define Porte's career. I think the Tour disappointment was just too much for Porte and Ochowicz's reaction to the fall just ensured that Porte's season was done there and then. Unprofessional from both of them, yes, but worse that Porte didn't have the brass to to tell the Australian selectors that he wasn't up for the Worlds and his form was not there either. Too bad that Porte's time at BMC ended on a sour note. The fact that he got in a break at the Vuelta and said after that stage that it was easy also indicates that he could have tried harder in the Vuelta but couldn't be bothered.
movingtarget
Veteran

21 Oct 2018 14:56

movingtarget wrote:
yaco wrote:
Leinster wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

You could also say that the past four months doesn't define Porte's career. I think the Tour disappointment was just too much for Porte and Ochowicz's reaction to the fall just ensured that Porte's season was done there and then. Unprofessional from both of them, yes, but worse that Porte didn't have the brass to to tell the Australian selectors that he wasn't up for the Worlds and his form was not there either. Too bad that Porte's time at BMC ended on a sour note. The fact that he got in a break at the Vuelta and said after that stage that it was easy also indicates that he could have tried harder in the Vuelta but couldn't be bothered.

My understanding is that Porte's form should have been OK at the Vuelta BUT he lacked motivation - Its crazy thinking when you consider at his age he needs to make every post a winner and of course he has never won a GT stage - A fair dinkum Porte should have at least won a stage at the Vuelta - I guess Trek Segafreddo will have some trepidation about Porte's move for the next two years - The support riders even more so - I am management at Trek and I am telling Porte two things - No TDU and the Giro is your number one target.
yaco

21 Oct 2018 15:06

No TDU, Porte's already puclicly said so even before this year's Tour.
Giro? I doubt Porte would sign for a team that wouldn't promise him Tour leadership, even if it meant taking a bigger pay cut than he already did.
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re:

21 Oct 2018 17:24

GuyIncognito wrote:No TDU, Porte's already puclicly said so even before this year's Tour.
Giro? I doubt Porte would sign for a team that wouldn't promise him Tour leadership, even if it meant taking a bigger pay cut than he already did.

He has also moved to the team with maybe the least amount of competition for Tour leadership. No GC threat, no sprinter.
User avatar Squire

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing