Log in:  

Register

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

11 May 2018 10:36

Koronin wrote:
slosada wrote:Why was he going back to the team car by himself? And that late in the stage. I don't know if such extra effort cost him following a wheel or if he ended bad positioned when the attacks started


I don't know if it's changed or not, but from what Movistar said before the Giro started it sounded like they were going into the race without a protected rider and without a race leader. So this may have been why.
I'm fully aware of that, however in a MTF, with the race already on, doesn't seem too wise to get the best placed rider to the team car... Food or drinks? Get Valls or anyone else bar Carapaz or Dayer. Radio doesn't work? Get a teammate to relay the messages.
User avatar slosada
Member
 
Posts: 419
Joined: 29 May 2013 17:36

Re:

11 May 2018 12:00

DFA123 wrote:Epic trolling by Betancur.

I mean, 60kg?!


Maybe he thought he was supposed to write down his ideal weight.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,394
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re: Re:

11 May 2018 18:03

slosada wrote:
Koronin wrote:
slosada wrote:Why was he going back to the team car by himself? And that late in the stage. I don't know if such extra effort cost him following a wheel or if he ended bad positioned when the attacks started


I don't know if it's changed or not, but from what Movistar said before the Giro started it sounded like they were going into the race without a protected rider and without a race leader. So this may have been why.
I'm fully aware of that, however in a MTF, with the race already on, doesn't seem too wise to get the best placed rider to the team car... Food or drinks? Get Valls or anyone else bar Carapaz or Dayer. Radio doesn't work? Get a teammate to relay the messages.


Well we area talking about a team that doesn't actually use the radio as much as other teams. However, you'd think the riders would know they have one. On the other hand, I have seen Valverde go back to the team car to talk with his director because he didn't want to do it through the radio. Of course not when the race is on and typically not in big races. I do agree he could have asked one of his teammates to go back instead. Although I'd say any of them except Carapaz who is also well positioned.

Today, nice flat sprint stage, and somehow he manages to lose a couple of seconds. Go figure.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,068
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Re:

11 May 2018 19:41

Koronin wrote:
slosada wrote:
Koronin wrote:
slosada wrote:Why was he going back to the team car by himself? And that late in the stage. I don't know if such extra effort cost him following a wheel or if he ended bad positioned when the attacks started


I don't know if it's changed or not, but from what Movistar said before the Giro started it sounded like they were going into the race without a protected rider and without a race leader. So this may have been why.
I'm fully aware of that, however in a MTF, with the race already on, doesn't seem too wise to get the best placed rider to the team car... Food or drinks? Get Valls or anyone else bar Carapaz or Dayer. Radio doesn't work? Get a teammate to relay the messages.


Well we area talking about a team that doesn't actually use the radio as much as other teams. However, you'd think the riders would know they have one. On the other hand, I have seen Valverde go back to the team car to talk with his director because he didn't want to do it through the radio. Of course not when the race is on and typically not in big races. I do agree he could have asked one of his teammates to go back instead. Although I'd say any of them except Carapaz who is also well positioned.

Today, nice flat sprint stage, and somehow he manages to lose a couple of seconds. Go figure.


He confirmed today that he had a mechanical (kept on having one). His gears weren't changing and that's why he lost some time. He wasn't happy about it either.
User avatar gospina
Member
 
Posts: 382
Joined: 08 Jan 2013 19:08

Re: Re:

11 May 2018 23:00

gospina wrote:
Koronin wrote:
slosada wrote:
Koronin wrote:
slosada wrote:Why was he going back to the team car by himself? And that late in the stage. I don't know if such extra effort cost him following a wheel or if he ended bad positioned when the attacks started


I don't know if it's changed or not, but from what Movistar said before the Giro started it sounded like they were going into the race without a protected rider and without a race leader. So this may have been why.
I'm fully aware of that, however in a MTF, with the race already on, doesn't seem too wise to get the best placed rider to the team car... Food or drinks? Get Valls or anyone else bar Carapaz or Dayer. Radio doesn't work? Get a teammate to relay the messages.


Well we area talking about a team that doesn't actually use the radio as much as other teams. However, you'd think the riders would know they have one. On the other hand, I have seen Valverde go back to the team car to talk with his director because he didn't want to do it through the radio. Of course not when the race is on and typically not in big races. I do agree he could have asked one of his teammates to go back instead. Although I'd say any of them except Carapaz who is also well positioned.

Today, nice flat sprint stage, and somehow he manages to lose a couple of seconds. Go figure.


He confirmed today that he had a mechanical (kept on having one). His gears weren't changing and that's why he lost some time. He wasn't happy about it either.



Thanks. That's definitely a good reason for it. I can't blame him for being unhappy either.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,068
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Re:

11 May 2018 23:08

gospina wrote: He confirmed today that he had a mechanical (kept on having one). His gears weren't changing and that's why he lost some time. He wasn't happy about it either.

Betancur is no King Boonen...can't ride a fixie ;) .
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,982
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

13 May 2018 14:59

paced by Froome :)
User avatar lartiste
Junior Member
 
Posts: 218
Joined: 29 Jul 2016 21:47

Re:

13 May 2018 15:20

lartiste wrote:paced by Froome :)

Came to post the same, grande Bananito
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 30,271
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

13 May 2018 15:25

Stage win is possible, I even don't count him out for a top 10 in GC. His form is growing.

Edit: Well, top 10 is maybe a bit too optimistic
User avatar Popchu
Member
 
Posts: 822
Joined: 14 Mar 2011 18:17

Re:

13 May 2018 15:52

lartiste wrote:paced by Froome :)


B1 and B2.......
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,201
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

13 May 2018 20:08

Very kind of Betancur to fart in front of Chris' face and without any inhaler Chris was left coughing and gasping for air.
"I have seen many lean riders in the peloton, but very few Tour winners."
User avatar Pantani Attacks
Member
 
Posts: 893
Joined: 07 Jul 2015 11:39

press conference from May 14th, 2018

14 May 2018 17:32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkOQjSoXL7c

Translation (my own, so, self-evident disclaimer that any mistake are mine):
"Yesterday, I thought that if I stayed on Froome's wheel for a little bit I could make up some ground to the leaders but then realized he wasn't having a good day. Regardless, that was my spot, I couldn't be farther up ahead".
It doesn't state that his spot was due to ability or team orders. I think purposely said ambiguously.

"In any case, it was a great stage for me, one of the best results in a mountain stage for me this year and that continues to motivate me".
"This will be a very long Giro, already due to the many transfers, at least, from my career, I never had to do so many transfers, which impacts rest, recuperation, the team, etc. On the 3rd week this all adds up. There are people that will pay for their efforts these first couple of days while I'm more of a diesel engine".

"In hard races I always end up doing better and better and I expect that this Giro will not be the exception to this. On the 2nd week, I believe I will be much closer with the best and on the 3rd week I will be fighting with them (for stage/position)".

"And if I have to help Richard Carapaz, there will be no problem. He is demonstrating that he is currently by far the strongest in the team and there will be no issues in helping".
User avatar gospina
Member
 
Posts: 382
Joined: 08 Jan 2013 19:08

16 May 2018 14:51

His positioning is horrible. 14th, but he looked very strong...
User avatar Popchu
Member
 
Posts: 822
Joined: 14 Mar 2011 18:17

16 May 2018 18:29

I'm keen to see what he's going to do on Zoncolan. If he ends up good there, miracles are possible :D
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,185
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

Re:

17 May 2018 08:27

DFA123 wrote:Epic trolling by Betancur.

I mean, 60kg?!

He's really tiny so it's perfectly possible. I even dare to say he might weigh even less. Sergio Henao who's quite a bit taller and is overally larger framed has 61 kg, at least procyclingstats says that. Or do you think Betancur is 65 kg, same as guys almost head taller such as Nibali or Kreuziger?

Anyway this official number are not much worth. I think most riders say bigger weigth than they actually are.
Kokoso
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,540
Joined: 22 Apr 2012 06:45

17 May 2018 15:01

Betancur attacking in what was gonna be a sprintstage ♥
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan
Member
 
Posts: 1,670
Joined: 27 Dec 2015 16:46
Location: in Flanders fields where poppies blow

17 May 2018 15:11

Zoncolan will be EASY
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,130
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

17 May 2018 15:14

Beast is back! :D really hoping for him to crack top 10 GC (and win a stage in the process)
User avatar Simurgh
Member
 
Posts: 668
Joined: 14 Jun 2015 20:48

17 May 2018 16:16

I only came here to see how much hype there would be. :)
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,520
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

Re:

17 May 2018 17:02

Jspear wrote:I only came here to see how much hype there would be. :)


not too much so far. But with the long ITT still to come a podium will be difficult to achieve indeed ;)
User avatar search
Member
 
Posts: 1,987
Joined: 29 Aug 2009 10:43

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brundd, Cance > TheRest, ecw445, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Jungle Cycle, MatParker117, roundabout, Singer01, Valv.Piti, Warhawk, WKA311 and 74 guests

Back to top