Register

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

25 May 2013 15:59

Great and gutsy performance today.

Should definitely win a Vuelta someday (specially if the parcours stays like these days)
Hope he can improve his ITT skills,
nevertheless he shouldn't lose his focus on the hilly classics. That is where he'll do best.
User avatar the asian

25 May 2013 16:00

Definitely amongst the three strongest riders in this Giro! _O_
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

25 May 2013 16:22

Inspired ride today. Great stuff.
movingtarget
Veteran

25 May 2013 18:04

when last year I wrote many times that betancur is a very talented rider, good both in the hills and in the cols.
he is an atypical escarabayo: he has very muscular legs, like a sprinter or a pistard, but he already showed in the girobio ( the montegrappa stage) and in his first giro ( the finestre stage) that he has the engine to be strong in the high mountains too.
he has been under evaluated by some colombians and by ryo, who is a really a great expert of south american riders.
now everybody can see how good he is.
in the first year as a pro he had no great work ethic, and he used to come back from colombia overweight and not well trained. than last year , with acqua e sapone he had few chances to shine because of team calendar , but he showed his skill and learnt to arrive to races in good shape.
he has also the capacity of staying in form for long periods.
he did that last year and also in 2013 he was able to be good in the third week of the giro after having shone in the pais vasco and in the ardennes.
i hope he will prepare well for the vuelta and the worlds.
imho he can really win in florence.

i am very happy, i was a fanboy of him since the girobio he won
profff

25 May 2013 18:35

Real pity about the mech and bike change. Without those issues, I think the Colombians would have caught Nibali and the result would have been Betancur as stage winner.

But there will be many more opportunities, no doubt.

Seriously impressive rider.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

26 May 2013 10:24

23 years old - 5th place at Giro and Maglia Bianca & 3rd place at FW...Awesome!:eek:
Now he is my second biggest hope after Quintana.Really looking forward to la Vuelta and Worlds.:)
Vamos Carlos:cool:
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

26 May 2013 10:31

Sign me up. I'm a fan.
[SIZE="2"]Twitter: @Sean_Coker[/SIZE]
UlleGigo

26 May 2013 10:39

The guy surprised me. I thought he was more of a hilly rider and he is in good shape for a fairly long period of time.
User avatar GP Blanco

26 May 2013 10:52

Not suprised by his long mountain performance. As is pointed out by others before me he had shown he can do well on long climbs before. Just not consistent enough yet. This was a great Giro by him. I think he lost nearly all of his time on Nibali in the long time trial, and the rest of the time in the MTT+last mt stage?

If he had a decent ITT he would have finished podium. Amazing!
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

26 May 2013 13:52

ILovecycling wrote:23 years old - 5th place at Giro and Maglia Bianca & 3rd place at FW...Awesome!:eek:
Now he is my second biggest hope after Quintana.Really looking forward to la Vuelta and Worlds.:)

and 4th at lieja
gustavoduncan

26 May 2013 20:47

Can't get over how huge his legs are and how well he did in the bigger climbs. Definitely would have got at least his 14th 2nd place of the Giro without the bike issues on stage 20 :D I[ve had my eye on him but first time I got to watch him through a race.

and an interview in spanish http://youtu.be/pvAz9Du3hdM?t=2m50s
aarononymous

26 May 2013 21:21

aarononymous wrote:Image

Can't get over how huge his legs are and how well he did in the bigger climbs. Definitely would have got at least his 14th 2nd place of the Giro without the bike issues on stage 20 :D I[ve had my eye on him but first time I got to watch him through a race.

Many thanks for that video.

Im assuming "profe" is the name of the interviewer, or is it some Paisa slang?

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Not suprised by his long mountain performance. As is pointed out by others before me he had shown he can do well on long climbs before. Just not consistent enough yet. This was a great Giro by him. I think he lost nearly all of his time on Nibali in the long time trial, and the rest of the time in the MTT+last mt stage?

If he had a decent ITT he would have finished podium. Amazing!

If the weather hadn't destroyed all those stages, Betancur would have finished on the podium.

ILovecycling wrote:23 years old - 5th place at Giro and Maglia Bianca & 3rd place at FW...Awesome!:eek:
Now he is my second biggest hope after Quintana.Really looking forward to la Vuelta and Worlds

gustavoduncan wrote:and 4th at lieja

And Liege and especially FW was despite doing suicide attacks. Usually when someone attacks that far from bottom on Huy they end up like 20th.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

26 May 2013 21:43

aarononymous wrote:Image

Massive legs :D
Thanks for the video,even I understood it with my bad spanish :D...but still wonder(like hitch) what is 'profe'?
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

26 May 2013 21:45

The Hitch wrote:Many thanks for that video.

Yes. Betancur got interviewed by Héctor Urrego alias "El Profe".
Jakob747

26 May 2013 22:34

The Hitch wrote:Many thanks for that video.

I assumed it was short for Profesor a usual term or respect there although I think Doctor is more common. I'm pretty sure this applies kind of like Usted. My wife says Betancur is totally "chirrete" (like a urban street kid:D) which makes me like him even more.

There are a few pics of him from the Giro where it looks like he has Hulk legs but since Henao's legs was a favorite topic of Ryo I figured it was a good comparison.

It's great to see the joy in the interviewer, he appears happier than Carlos.
aarononymous

26 May 2013 23:19

Betancur definitely looks hardcore street, especially with the earring.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

26 May 2013 23:38

http://www.elespectador.com/deportes/ciclismo/articulo-423143-carlos-betancur-me-gustan-los-grandes-retos

"I asked the team if i can do the Vuelta, and they said yes. After that worlds."

Oh lord. the Vuelta is so suited to Betancur. tt is too long as i recall to win overall but he can win so many stages there and probably podium.

In worlds i expect hell attack from far again and cause carnage. Maybe podium as well.

User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

26 May 2013 23:44

Nice! Looking forward to that. He should do great at the Vuelta. Plenty of mountains and short uphill sprints for him. A podium would be a fantastic result and based on his skill-set he would have a good chance of it.

I know one guy who already made a spot on my Vuelta CQ team. :D Although he might be kind of expensive by then. :o
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

27 May 2013 09:14

The Hitch wrote:http://www.elespectador.com/deportes/ciclismo/articulo-423143-carlos-betancur-me-gustan-los-grandes-retos

"I asked the team if i can do the Vuelta, and they said yes. After that worlds."

Oh lord. the Vuelta is so suited to Betancur. tt is too long as i recall to win overall but he can win so many stages there and probably podium.

In worlds i expect hell attack from far again and cause carnage. Maybe podium as well.

Wow thats great!!!
Who are the favourites for la Vuelta?Henao,Porte,Nibali,Sanchez,Majka,1 Movistar guy,Blanco guy, and Betancur?
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

27 May 2013 09:20

ILovecycling wrote:Wow thats great!!!
Who are the favourites for la Vuelta?Henao,Porte,Nibali,Sanchez,Majka,1 Movistar guy,Blanco guy, and Betancur?

Porte's not riding, at least not 100%. He's doing Tour.

It's gotta be Henao, Betancur, and Nibali as the big names. At least fully committed with no Tour.

Basso, Majka others I guess.

Sanchez is too old to challenge for GT podium, Movistar will have someone as you say.

And as it's Vuelta, there may be someone unkown we never heard before challenge the best ;)
Gloin22

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing