Register

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

08 Apr 2018 17:13

carton wrote:There are 89 pages on here about a guy whose biggest results are a Paris-Nice win and a Giro 6th place. For comparison the threads for Thibaut Pinot and Ilnur Zakarin run for 19 pages and 9 pages, respectively. Fat jokes account for about 95% of the Pythagorean difference.

Carlos Betancur is the fat cyclist. For some he's the modern epicurean antagonist of the hackneyed romantic concept of cyclists as hard men aesthetes who stopped at nothing in their relentless pursuit glory, prisoners of the road but masters of their own fate. In that view he has all the exogenous talent but lacks any of the endogenous will. Some of these folk believe they could be better racers than Betancur, but lacked the god-given talent: Betancur is thus the human embodiment of the tragedy that is life.

For others Betancur symbolizes the return of the hackneyed romantic concept of cyclists as literal larger than life bon vivants, moody characters who ate full meals washed down with beer and wine between Tour de France stages; who stopped for coffee amidst Milan-San Remo. His image harkens back to those sepia tinted days where passion and flair were more important than watts/kg. Many of them believe they cycle just like Betancur, but lack the god-given talent: Betancur is thus the human embodiment of the comedy that is life.

In any case given that the fat jokes have only gotten better three years in, I wouldn't hold my breath.

This is why he has so many pages on this forum.
User avatar Saint Unix

Re:

08 Apr 2018 18:38

staubsauger wrote:I don't know pals. His current shape probably still isn't enough to at least contest for the KOM classification at the Giro like Betancur tried in 2015. Only, that this time around it isn't really his fault,since he was back in decent shape at last year's Vuelta. The Giro comes a bit too early after his injury I fear.

The Giro definitely doesn't come to soon for him to hunt the KOM-jersey. He is already in very good shape at this moment - very good in the one day races and decent enough in Pais Vasco. Thats 8 days of proper racing in hard terrain that will benefit him greatly going into the Ardennes and later the Giro - still one month to go. Had it been 2 weeks later it would have been optimal, but it is what it is and he should be able to go into the race in very good shape, possibly still a little undercooked which maybe isn't that bad after all.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

09 Apr 2018 14:13

Popchu wrote:27th in the GC of 'Itzulia Basque Country', which isn't too bad in a high level field and after the work he did for Landa. But there's still work to be done. Sometimes he dropped too early, but he never faded badly. If you compare with 2013, he was 7th in Itzulia (but he was a leader back in the day).

Today Klasika Primavera de Amorebieta. Not much quality on the startlist, but I suppose he will be tired of riding Izulia.

A fine summation. It's nice to remember how good he was back then. (Is this thread an example of saudade?)
phanatic

21 Apr 2018 18:10

Poor performances past week, tomorrow must be better. Last year he was quite active in the Flèche Wallonne with a lot of counter attacks and work in the finale. This year he was pretty fast spent and wasn't very useful for Valverde, which is strange, because his form was better than last year at this point.

Something else, he has a serious scar on his chin after that Vuelta crash.

User avatar Popchu

22 Apr 2018 05:47

He will be ready to lead Movistar at the Giro.
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

Re:

22 Apr 2018 06:19

Hugo Koblet wrote:He will be ready to lead Movistar at the Giro.

Nope. 2013 Betancur would be ready, this version definitely isn't leading Movistar, especially not in a race such as the Giro. Amador will be the leader as he great credentials in exactly this race - rest of the team will go up the road, including Betancur, trying to win stages. Carapaz and Betancur could potentially win a hilly stage, but Im intrigued to see the rest of the team.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

27 Apr 2018 15:14

Very bad uphill ITT, no GC for him in the Giro. Stage win at best.
User avatar Popchu

02 May 2018 20:52

My preparation for the Giro has been very competitive during these last two months. I started later because of the ankle discomfort due to the crash in the Vuelta and afterwards little by little i was finding myself better in each race. I think i arrived in good shape here. I really want to do it well, "said 'Bananito'.

https://www.kienyke.com/deportes/ciclismo/carlos-betancur-giro-de-italia-2018

Rarely have seen a Betancur so motivated for a race
Moviestar

02 May 2018 21:10

I wonder if his bad showings in the Ardennes and Romandie is a result of fatigue and overracing or simply just not being good enough. If the former, he could be doing really well in the Giro and maybe win a stage, but I doubt it.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

02 May 2018 22:28

Valv.Piti wrote:I wonder if his bad showings in the Ardennes and Romandie is a result of fatigue and overracing or simply just not being good enough. If the former, he could be doing really well in the Giro and maybe win a stage, but I doubt it.

I think most people have given up trying to figure him out including his own team. Will he ever get another contract ?
movingtarget
Veteran

02 May 2018 23:16

movingtarget wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:I wonder if his bad showings in the Ardennes and Romandie is a result of fatigue and overracing or simply just not being good enough. If the former, he could be doing really well in the Giro and maybe win a stage, but I doubt it.

I think most people have given up trying to figure him out including his own team. Will he ever get another contract ?

I think this is fairly accurate. He has a contract through next year. However getting another one with anyone is a good question.
User avatar Koronin

03 May 2018 00:53

movingtarget wrote:

IMHO, without the crash at the Vuelta he would have at least top 10. He looked good towards the end so it wasn't bad preparation or motivation last year.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

03 May 2018 00:55

Maybe he is trying to give everyone a false sense of security towards his abilities so he can than suprise them and win a grand tour.
User avatar SHAD0W93

03 May 2018 07:14

Escarabajo wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

IMHO, without the crash at the Vuelta he would have at least top 10. He looked good towards the end so it wasn't bad preparation or motivation last year.

Yes he did look better for a while last year..............
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

03 May 2018 09:09

SHAD0W93 wrote:Maybe he is trying to give everyone a false sense of security towards his abilities so he can than suprise them and win a grand tour.

That’s exactly what he’s doing ;)
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

03 May 2018 10:42

42x16ss wrote:
SHAD0W93 wrote:Maybe he is trying to give everyone a false sense of security towards his abilities so he can than suprise them and win a grand tour.

That’s exactly what he’s doing ;)

Straight do a pereiro and go in the breakaway.
User avatar SHAD0W93

03 May 2018 12:41

Garcia-Acosta has said that they will play out two names for the GC, Carapaz and Betancur. The others will be fighting for a stage win.
Moviestar

03 May 2018 13:35

I knew it initially was the plan to go for GC, but after recent performances, I just don't get it. Unless they know more than we do which they probably do!
Will be interesting for Carapaz, the guy can sneak into the bottom top-10 with some luck and such.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

03 May 2018 19:19

I read today that they (Movistar) are planning on going with no leader/no protected rider and like last year's Vuelta each rider can race it as he sees fit for himself.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

04 May 2018 04:33

Koronin wrote:I read today that they (Movistar) are planning on going with no leader/no protected rider and like last year's Vuelta each rider can race it as he sees fit for himself.

And that worked out so well at the Vuelta. So stupid.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing