Register

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

17 May 2018 17:46

Jspear wrote:I only came here to see how much hype there would be. :)

LOL, that makes two of us
User avatar AlexNYC

Re: Carlos Betancur discussion thread

17 May 2018 17:50

He was looking impressive today. Not sure yet what to think of it but he could definitely enter the top ten if he keeps riding like this.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

20 May 2018 21:27

A pity he got a flat tire in the last km's, +50 sec after the second group.
Moviestar

Re:

20 May 2018 21:36

Moviestar wrote:A pity he got a flat tire in the last km's, +50 sec after the second group.

Thanks for the information.
I was wondering about how he faded the last kilometers. I thought that he couldn't be worse than Froome therefore what happened.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

27 May 2018 12:07

Decent race for Betancur,15 in the final GC.Hopefully he'll find a way to improve even more in the next races.He's not there yet.
User avatar DBotero

27 May 2018 19:52

DBotero wrote:Decent race for Betancur,15 in the final GC.Hopefully he'll find a way to improve even more in the next races.He's not there yet.
Decent indeed, I think it was a performance more or less in line with the expectations. It wasn't a perfect build-up towards the Giro because of his late start of the season due to his ankle injury, everything was a bit rushed. A pity he wasn't in yesterday's breakaway to fight for a stage win (although I'm pretty sure Nieve would've won anyway), a day earlier he was in the breakaway but they stood no chance.

Now I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. I think we don't have to fear another disappearance, he looks really motivated. The only question is, what will his program look like? He's not on the provisional startlist for Suisse or Dauphiné, which is logical because he's basically non-stop racing for three months, but on the other hand he can take advantage of his post-Giro form.

Vuelta + Worlds sounds perfect for me. :)
User avatar Popchu

27 May 2018 21:26

Leadership seems quasi-impossible now in GT's and in one-week stage races, with 5 leaders already within the team.
Moviestar

27 May 2018 22:18

Not a single top-10 on a stage, clinging on to finish 15 in the GC by ninja in the year he turns 29. Please enlighten me to how this can be a beacon for good things to come?
laarsland

Re:

27 May 2018 22:20

Moviestar wrote:Leadership seems quasi-impossible now in GT's and in one-week stage races, with 5 leaders already within the team.

If you're including Carapaz in that it, he makes 6 leaders. Valverde (who is the overall team leader), then Quintana and Landa, and after them you have Amador and Soler, and now Carapaz. I don't think there are enough races for more leaders, other than the cobbled classics or of course a sprinter like Barbero for those few races that are mostly sprint type stages.
User avatar Koronin

Re: Re:

27 May 2018 22:24

Koronin wrote:
Moviestar wrote:Leadership seems quasi-impossible now in GT's and in one-week stage races, with 5 leaders already within the team.

If you're including Carapaz in that it, he makes 6 leaders. Valverde (who is the overall team leader), then Quintana and Landa, and after them you have Amador and Soler, and now Carapaz. I don't think there are enough races for more leaders, other than the cobbled classics or of course a sprinter like Barbero for those few races that are mostly sprint type stages.

Will Amador really get to lead anything important now? My suspicion is that now that Soler and Carapaz have stepped forward there will be no more room for leaders junior to the big three. Two is already a lot of “spare” leaders.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

27 May 2018 22:26

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
Koronin wrote:

Will Amador really get to lead anything important now? My suspicion is that now that Soler and Carapaz have stepped forward there will be no more room for leaders junior to the big three. Two is already a lot of “spare” leaders.

That's still 6 leaders who are all infront of Betancur after this Giro. That's what my point more was. I agree they have an over abundance of leaders on this team.
User avatar Koronin

28 May 2018 06:53

Koronin wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:
Koronin wrote:

That's still 6 leaders who are all infront of Betancur after this Giro. That's what my point more was. I agree they have an over abundance of leaders on this team.

He just needs one performance on his 2013 level and he'll be up there with the leaders.
User avatar Blanco

28 May 2018 18:38

Blanco wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:
Koronin wrote:

He just needs one performance on his 2013 level and he'll be up there with the leaders.

I'm not sure he's capable of them any more, however does a team really want 7 leaders on their team? That would be total overkill.
User avatar Koronin

28 May 2018 20:09

Leaders are Valverde, Quntana and Landa. Others just play the role if the main guys aren't there.
User avatar Blanco

29 May 2018 00:14

Giro stage 12

“She lost the old-fashioned way, by being a terrible candidate. Case closed.”
Beech Mtn

29 May 2018 02:47

His best chance is one of the one week stage races. Too many leaders on the team.
movingtarget
Veteran

30 May 2018 07:17

He might be on the move. La Gazzetta is reporting that UAE are really interested in him. So much so, that he might even ride La Vuelta for them THIS season.
User avatar DNP-Old

30 May 2018 07:46

Oh god no, please not. He finally looks decent again but then the team where riders go to kill their careers wants him. This must not be true, please let this not be true :o
it would add to his narrative though
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

30 May 2018 08:31

I don't really care, it's not like he's good enough to be more than an also ran anywhere anyway.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

30 May 2018 08:52

User avatar Alexandre B.

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing