Register

Warren Barguil Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky

Warren Barguil Discussion Thread

09 Sep 2013 15:49

Making my CQ team before the season started I remember deciding to wait on taking Barguil, thinking he might need a season to adjust before he started getting the big results. I guess that was a mistake. :D

First year in the World Tour and in his first GT he already has 2 stage wins. And the competition he has had in those stage wins is by no means low level. He's already becoming one of my favorite riders. And he's showing himself to be a very strong rider, with great panache, and without a doubt a huge talent for the future.

User avatar Afrank
Veteran

09 Sep 2013 15:50

Love him :):p
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Vino attacks everyone
Veteran

09 Sep 2013 15:51

Libertine Seguros cant complain about Argos and it's inability in moutains now :D

Especially as Argos is adding more talents in that department, with Olivier, Haga and especially a very big talent in Craddock! :D
Gloin22

09 Sep 2013 15:52

This quote just about sums it up:

"The DS told me to hang back in the peloton and save myself for next week, but he told me the same in the day I won my first stage so I went anyway."

:cool:
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

09 Sep 2013 15:55

Froome better watch out in a few years time :p
User avatar Duke_S

09 Sep 2013 15:56

RedheadDane wrote:This quote just about sums it up:

:cool:

Sometimes the exuberance and reckless abandon of youth can be a good thing. :D
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

09 Sep 2013 16:04

Afrank wrote:Sometimes the exuberance and reckless abandon of youth can be a good thing. :D

Yup! :D
And yet he wasn't so reckless abandon that he tried to keep Uran behind him, and burned up doing so. When it became clear he'd be caught he kept it cool! :cool:
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

09 Sep 2013 16:06

Great victory, great rider. He will be very interesting to follow the next years. I like his style!
El Pistolero wrote:I don't understand Gilbert's tactics. Does he really think he can beat Kwiatkowski in a sprint?
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

09 Sep 2013 16:10

RedheadDane wrote:Yup! :D
And yet he wasn't so reckless abandon that he tried to keep Uran behind him, and burned up doing so. When it became clear he'd be caught he kept it cool! :cool:

Reckless abandon to attack and go for the win combined with the intelligence and tactical sense to play it smart and sit in if your caught. That's a potent and potentially deadly combination. :cool:
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

09 Sep 2013 16:28

He's chosen an unusual career path for a Frenchman, and he seems to be quite an unusual fellow. Hence I like him.

Argos will dominate the mountains in the years to come :p
theyoungest
Veteran

09 Sep 2013 16:43

Duke_S wrote:Froome better watch out in a few years time :p

Can he TT?
User avatar Contadoraus Schlecks

09 Sep 2013 16:48

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:Can he TT?

He's french... :D
Wigwan

09 Sep 2013 17:40

Where is Hitch? He took Barguil in his CQ team for vuelta, and i was thinking that the choice was only to cover the 9 rider requirement :(

I really liked the calm and collected way in which he dealt with Uran.
The only downside is that the other riders are going to watch him in the next season.
Cycling is interesting only because the line between the improbable and the attainable is not clear.
User avatar murali

09 Sep 2013 18:16

Another great young Frenchman, but we need some of these to step up at the Tour in the next few years.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

09 Sep 2013 18:49

Gloin22 wrote:Libertine Seguros cant complain about Argos and it's inability in moutains now :D

Especially as Argos is adding more talents in that department, with Olivier, Haga and especially a very big talent in Craddock! :D

As long as they don't hire Stapleton and stick him in Kittel's leadout train next season.

Still hate that team, just having a rider who is quite exciting to set apart from their usual tedious tedium doesn't change that, since any race he isn't in they'll just be trying to make it as boring as possible still. I like Rigo and Kiryienka, doesn't mean I can't dislike Sky at the same time.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

09 Sep 2013 18:53

an argos who can climb. i really like the guy, smooth style and clever too
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

10 Sep 2013 02:37

Warren Barguil is truly impressing me:) He's the kind of breed that cycling must embrace & need to offset the current "robotic" approach. Hope he gets well developed & coached to improve more so we can get more wins from him.

Looking forward to this French promise:)
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

10 Sep 2013 02:40

I did not think he would go well CQ wise because i thought riders like Slagter/ Gilbert/ and other puncheurs (which i thought he was- due to his L' Avenir win last year with shortened mountain routes) would stop him from winning.

Pleasantly surprised that he is going well in the mountains- congrats.

Visconti/ Costa better watch out- along with Voeckler.

Next year Ardennes/ TDF would be good.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Veteran

10 Sep 2013 05:16

Yeah, he has showed some real cleverness and patience in his two wins at the Vuelta. The first stage he won, I thought he may have gotten lucky, although I thought he worked well in the break and timed his attack very well. Today's win is kind of like a 'fool me twice' thing for me - it shows me that he's both strong and smart.

I really like the combination of enthusiasm of impetuous youth and cool consideration of one with a level head. After pushing the pace a couple of times in the break on the last climb, he went with 9k to go, and it looked like it might be a little impatient. But he knew he had the legs and got the lead. Then, when Uran came back with a km to go, he chilled out, stuck on his wheel, waited until the chasers were almost caught up but burnt out enough to not really provide a challenge, and then he sprinted vs. Uran. Impatience would have made him that few cm slower, and as he said, Uran's no 'sh*t rider'.

Attacks seemingly recklessly? Check.
Is strong enough to back it up? Check.
Is smart enough to know when to jump to win? Check.
Swears endearingly in English in a post-stage interview? Check.

Love this guy. I've liked the way Argos is organized as a team way more than I've liked the way they've raced in the last 2 years, so it's good to see someone electrifying on board.
skidmark

10 Sep 2013 07:06

greenedge wrote:Next year Ardennes/ TDF would be good.

no TdF, please. let him go to classics, one day races, and return to vuelta.

In the mean time, he can work on improving his climbing skills.

TdF is not good for a young french rider. some get lucky with a win, others are taunted for ever.
Cycling is interesting only because the line between the improbable and the attainable is not clear.
User avatar murali

Next

Return to Professional road racing