Log in:  

Register

Dan Martin discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Dan Martin discussion thread

11 Jan 2014 17:53

Given that he's a regular fixture in the top 10 WT riders at the end of the year and that I expect big things from him this year I felt he deserved his own thread.

Does anyone know what his race programme this year is? I assume he'll focus on the Ardennes and I heard rumors he'll be doing T-A and not defending his Catalunya title. But what about the GT's?

Given that the Giro starts in Ireland it's a sure bet his team will want him there, but given there's only one TT in the Tour he also has a real chance at a top 10 there. Personally though, I think the Vuelta is probably the route most suited to him. A Giro/Tour or a Giro/Vuelta a possibility?
User avatar happytramp
Member
 
Posts: 978
Joined: 07 Sep 2011 20:44

11 Jan 2014 20:00

He'll lead Garmin at the Giro.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,595
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

11 Jan 2014 21:04

Afrank wrote:He'll lead Garmin at the Giro.


Yes this is already confirmed and its likely he will lead or co lead at the Vuelta. That leaves the Tour and potentially co leadership at the Vuelta for Hesjedal and Talansky. Nowadays these three seem to be the undisputed lead riders at Garmin for GTs. Everybody else who can climb is too old, too young or very much a domestique. That's a bit of a shift from Garmin's usual setup, where they rarely had a clear GC hierarchy.

(I suppose Tommy D may still have a last GT top 10 in him)
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,475
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

11 Jan 2014 22:55

Danielson was climbing better then Horner in Utah, so be afraid, be very afraid!!!

Heared that Hesjedal was doing the Giro again aswell so then it would be Martin/Hesjedal for Giro, Talansky for the Tour and then Martin again for the Vuelta (guess Hesjedal is going to do the Canadian races). He might use it as prepartion for the worlds but he will also try to do a good GC I think, he doesnt come to a race to just prepare for a different race.
User avatar Ruudz0r
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,563
Joined: 09 Jun 2011 17:31
Location: The Netherlands

19 Apr 2014 23:41

He's been very quite so far this year. Hasn't really raced that much. It'll be interesting to see how he goes this week and see if lots of training has the same effect that lots of big races had last year. Certainly podium potential in Leige and F-W.
User avatar happytramp
Member
 
Posts: 978
Joined: 07 Sep 2011 20:44

20 Apr 2014 06:16

happytramp wrote:He's been very quite so far this year. Hasn't really raced that much. It'll be interesting to see how he goes this week and see if lots of training has the same effect that lots of big races had last year. Certainly podium potential in Leige and F-W.


Him and Nibali are the two top riders who've made the least noise thus far in 2014. And I'm expecting big things from both in Liege.

As for the Giro, what will he target? Even in such a weak field he doesn't look like a legit podium contender. Mountain jersey and stage hunting? Or is he looking at a top10?
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,172
Joined: 02 Sep 2011 13:38
Location: Milano, Italy

20 Apr 2014 11:04

happytramp wrote:Given that he's a regular fixture in the top 10 WT riders at the end of the year and that I expect big things from him this year I felt he deserved his own thread.

Does anyone know what his race programme this year is? I assume he'll focus on the Ardennes and I heard rumors he'll be doing T-A and not defending his Catalunya title. But what about the GT's?

Given that the Giro starts in Ireland it's a sure bet his team will want him there, but given there's only one TT in the Tour he also has a real chance at a top 10 there. Personally though, I think the Vuelta is probably the route most suited to him. A Giro/Tour or a Giro/Vuelta a possibility?


He was in WT top ten two times. I doubt that's fixture.
Kokoso
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,563
Joined: 22 Apr 2012 06:45

20 Apr 2014 11:04

SafeBet wrote:As for the Giro, what will he target? Even in such a weak field he doesn't look like a legit podium contender. Mountain jersey and stage hunting? Or is he looking at a top10?


He'll be all out for GC. As to what he can achieve, with Potre gone there's not really many super strong TT'ers that can climb as well as he can. I don't buy into Pozzovivo being a great at TT now and I think that Evans won't stick on the climbs also nout sure Uran looks as strong as last year. I'd say a top 5 could be a possibility.
User avatar happytramp
Member
 
Posts: 978
Joined: 07 Sep 2011 20:44

20 Apr 2014 17:03

happytramp wrote:He'll be all out for GC. As to what he can achieve, with Potre gone there's not really many super strong TT'ers that can climb as well as he can. I don't buy into Pozzovivo being a great at TT now and I think that Evans won't stick on the climbs also nout sure Uran looks as strong as last year. I'd say a top 5 could be a possibility.

Is Dan Martin such a great climber? What's his record on big climbs in GTs?
theyoungest
Veteran
 
Posts: 12,244
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

20 Apr 2014 19:19

"I wasn't feeling good but that's from coming down from altitude. I've not done that before and so I don't know how long my body takes to adapt. I've been down for five days now and by Wednesday I should be feeling great. I'm still feeling a bit lethargic but I'm not worried at all. It was very much a precautionary thing."


Seems Dan has finally had a shot off altitude training despite speaking before about how he doesn't usually use it, will be interesting to see if he goes any differently
CyclingEnthusiast
Junior Member
 
Posts: 254
Joined: 17 Apr 2014 17:24

20 Apr 2014 23:55

Kokoso wrote:He was in WT top ten two times. I doubt that's fixture.


Twice in the last 3 years. That's twice more than Mollema who's got his own gold leaf, laurel wreath thread and and he's yet to win a monument or a tour stage ;) I'd say Dan deserve's his own thread.
User avatar happytramp
Member
 
Posts: 978
Joined: 07 Sep 2011 20:44

23 Apr 2014 18:47

There was definitely already a Dan Martin thread somewhere.

Today's race, although he got beaten into second, may be one of the most important of his career. It seems to be firm evidence that his notorious allergy problems are at least under control and he didn't just get lucky with the weather last year.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,475
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

23 Apr 2014 19:09

Apparently Vaughters sent Martin a narky email after his AGR withdrawal, so it definitely wasn't planned.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,475
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

23 Apr 2014 19:17

Wasn't planned but apparently not allergy-related either. Sounds like his knee issue due to a crash Sunday was resolved pretty quickly and he is back to 100%.
mlafort1
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 25 Jun 2013 21:04

23 Apr 2014 19:39

Looked good today. He'll be the mix on Sunday to most likely. Looking forward to see what he can do in the Giro too.
User avatar happytramp
Member
 
Posts: 978
Joined: 07 Sep 2011 20:44

23 Apr 2014 19:40

Apparently there's some stuff on the radio here stoking up the rivalry between the Martin and Roche families!!! Haven't heard it yet.
User avatar happytramp
Member
 
Posts: 978
Joined: 07 Sep 2011 20:44

23 Apr 2014 19:55

happytramp wrote:Apparently there's some stuff on the radio here stoking up the rivalry between the Martin and Roche families!!! Haven't heard it yet.

I don't see why they would be rivals, Martin is way more talented than Roche.
"I was excited to pass Rui Costa in front of me. I never thought that would be possible in my life."
Tour de France almost-winner, Andy Schleck acknowledges Rui Costa's awesomeness.

"58x11. I do not often use it, but when you need it, it is always there."
Why the hell would you need that Tony?
User avatar trevim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,934
Joined: 26 Oct 2010 09:40
Location: Portugal

23 Apr 2014 20:06

trevim wrote:I don't see why they would be rivals, Martin is way more talented than Roche.


I think it's more to do with their fathers. Paul Kimmage did an interview with Dan's dad last summer that seemed to hint at underlying rivalry between the two of them back when they were on the verge of turning pro back in the late 70's.

Also this... http://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/dan-martin-pours-cold-water-on-family-feud-with-stephen-roche
User avatar happytramp
Member
 
Posts: 978
Joined: 07 Sep 2011 20:44

23 Apr 2014 20:15

Martin commented about it on twitter a few days ago, saying it's just the local media trying to create a story and in fact he's close to his cousin and uncle.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,475
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

23 Apr 2014 21:01

Also whatever about a supposed "rivalry" between Dan and Nicolas being unbalanced, they are at least both upper end of the World Tour riders. With all due respect to Neil, who was a good rider and is by all accounts a good guy, the idea of a "rivalry" between a triple crown winner and a British domestic pro is just otherworldly!
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,475
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dusty red roads, Google [Bot], Jakob747 and 16 guests

Back to top