Log in:  

Register

Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

16 May 2018 17:29

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:New Purito, but possible better time trial

We still haven't seen if he's as good as Purito in the high mountains, but other than that it's a good comparison.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,368
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

16 May 2018 17:35

Purito had a few great years climbing wise that I don't think Yates will ever replicate - Vuelta 2012 and last week of Tour 2013. But Yates is a more all-round bike rider than Purito, he HAS a better time trial and is quite simply a better rouleur. I would favour Purito any day of the week on a typical murito finish tho.

Great performance.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,538
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

16 May 2018 20:52

Would like to see Simon have a go at LBL. Has he ridden the race?
Andy262
Member
 
Posts: 340
Joined: 27 Sep 2014 18:11

Re:

16 May 2018 20:57

Andy262 wrote:Would like to see Simon have a go at LBL. Has he ridden the race?


I've looked it up: twice apparantly, in 2015 he was 39th 2:41 down to Valverde, and last year he ended up in 153th 16:39 down (and the last rider to finish!)
Stella0596
Junior Member
 
Posts: 156
Joined: 21 May 2017 12:10

Re: Re:

16 May 2018 21:05

Stella0596 wrote:
Andy262 wrote:Would like to see Simon have a go at LBL. Has he ridden the race?


I've looked it up: twice apparantly, in 2015 he was 39th 2:41 down to Valverde, and last year he ended up in 153th 16:39 down (and the last rider to finish!)


Sure he could contend in his current form and with another couple of years under his wheels.
Andy262
Member
 
Posts: 340
Joined: 27 Sep 2014 18:11

Re: Re:

16 May 2018 21:40

Andy262 wrote:
Stella0596 wrote:
Andy262 wrote:Would like to see Simon have a go at LBL. Has he ridden the race?


I've looked it up: twice apparantly, in 2015 he was 39th 2:41 down to Valverde, and last year he ended up in 153th 16:39 down (and the last rider to finish!)


Sure he could contend in his current form and with another couple of years under his wheels.


Yeah, i'm always surprised when the Yates brothers don't ride the ardennes classics. They seem farly well suited.
User avatar SlickMongoose
Member
 
Posts: 692
Joined: 17 Sep 2014 19:26

16 May 2018 23:04

A Yates came 8th last year in LBL
Strawberry_Jams
Junior Member
 
Posts: 156
Joined: 29 Apr 2017 20:16
Location: Northampton

17 May 2018 03:38

I guess the coming weekend will tell us whether Simon can stay with the head of the peleton on the long and high mountain climbs.

No Sky train to contend with so far - if one actually exists and goes to work they may drop their leader.
Yingge
Member
 
Posts: 584
Joined: 10 Aug 2011 12:29
Location: Australia + Taiwan

Re:

17 May 2018 07:31

Strawberry_Jams wrote:A Yates came 8th last year in LBL


I am sure without his injury Adam would have done the Ardennes this year.
del1962
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,793
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

Re: Re:

17 May 2018 08:13

SlickMongoose wrote:
Andy262 wrote:
Stella0596 wrote:
Andy262 wrote:Would like to see Simon have a go at LBL. Has he ridden the race?


I've looked it up: twice apparantly, in 2015 he was 39th 2:41 down to Valverde, and last year he ended up in 153th 16:39 down (and the last rider to finish!)


Sure he could contend in his current form and with another couple of years under his wheels.


Yeah, i'm always surprised when the Yates brothers don't ride the ardennes classics. They seem farly well suited.

How come you say Yates brothers don't ride Ardennes classics when they actually do? :)

Truth is they ride them but aren't very succesful there. There've always been someone better in the team with twins; be it Matthews or Kreuziger or Albasini.
Kokoso
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,545
Joined: 22 Apr 2012 06:45

Re: Re:

17 May 2018 11:54

Kokoso wrote:
SlickMongoose wrote:
Andy262 wrote:
Stella0596 wrote:
Andy262 wrote:Would like to see Simon have a go at LBL. Has he ridden the race?


I've looked it up: twice apparantly, in 2015 he was 39th 2:41 down to Valverde, and last year he ended up in 153th 16:39 down (and the last rider to finish!)


Sure he could contend in his current form and with another couple of years under his wheels.


Yeah, i'm always surprised when the Yates brothers don't ride the ardennes classics. They seem farly well suited.

How come you say Yates brothers don't ride Ardennes classics when they actually do? :)

Truth is they ride them but aren't very succesful there. There've always been someone better in the team with twins; be it Matthews or Kreuziger or Albasini.


I said I'm surprised when they don't, not that they always don't.
User avatar SlickMongoose
Member
 
Posts: 692
Joined: 17 Sep 2014 19:26

17 May 2018 12:09

Pretty funny that the Yates brother won both the tributes to Scarponi in Tirreno and in the Giro respectively
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,308
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

17 May 2018 12:32

You'll find that A.Yates performs better than Simon in the long one day races - They'll get their chances in the Ardennes.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,463
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re:

17 May 2018 12:58

yaco wrote:You'll find that A.Yates performs better than Simon in the long one day races - They'll get their chances in the Ardennes.


He performed better in the GT's also, but that's about to change. I think that Simon is the better one, time will tell...
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,356
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

Re: Re:

17 May 2018 18:16

Blanco wrote:
yaco wrote:You'll find that A.Yates performs better than Simon in the long one day races - They'll get their chances in the Ardennes.


He performed better in the GT's also, but that's about to change. I think that Simon is the better one, time will tell...


Always believed that for GC riders year 5 in the peleton gives you a clearer insight into their future performance - Both are tracking at a similar level - We'll know more at the end of the year.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,463
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

17 May 2018 18:37

I do wonder why Yates reacted to attacks today. He seems kinda throwing his powers around like it's nothing.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,008
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re:

17 May 2018 20:30

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:I do wonder why Yates reacted to attacks today. He seems kinda throwing his powers around like it's nothing.

He can’t let Dumoulin take any easy time with the TT coming.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,901
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

17 May 2018 22:57

I'm surprised that this thread is not staying on top of page 1 of our forum...the dude is dominating Il Giro. We are way past half of the stages, and yes the toughest has yet to come, but man! If my Tibopino was in his place right now, I'd be buying Prosecco by the case. Is it due to a lack of fan base, or some feeling that he'll Kruijswijk it? I don't know what to make of it.

So far, Simon Yates is the boss. A surprise, but what will the other riders do? For Dumoulin, it's pretty clear: smash the ITT, get an insurmountable lead, hang on. What about the rest? Counting on a bad day is putting your destiny in HIS hands (well, legs). Not a good idea IMO.

So it all revolves around the idea that he will crack at some point. I'm not following him much at all. If you do, tell me what you think...please :) .
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,103
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

18 May 2018 07:21

For anyone aside Dumoulin it's simple. Attack from further out. Don't let Yates outpunch you.

Pinot, Pozzo, etc have to try something from further than 3km out.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,008
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re: Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

18 May 2018 07:48

Tonton wrote:I'm surprised that this thread is not staying on top of page 1 of our forum...the dude is dominating Il Giro. We are way past half of the stages, and yes the toughest has yet to come, but man! If my Tibopino was in his place right now, I'd be buying Prosecco by the case. Is it due to a lack of fan base, or some feeling that he'll Kruijswijk it? I don't know what to make of it.

So far, Simon Yates is the boss. A surprise, but what will the other riders do? For Dumoulin, it's pretty clear: smash the ITT, get an insurmountable lead, hang on. What about the rest? Counting on a bad day is putting your destiny in HIS hands (well, legs). Not a good idea IMO.

So it all revolves around the idea that he will crack at some point. I'm not following him much at all. If you do, tell me what you think...please :) .


He's been fantastic so far but I definitely think there's still an underlying suspicion that he'll crack later in the race - even though we're over halfway through you'd still have to say there's more difference making stages coming in the remaining stages. He does seem to start stronger than he's finished in GT's and there's enough varied talent in the race to force him into some awkard positions which could be hard to handle unless he's outright the strongest every single stage.

There's probably also a bit of hesitance to get really excited until after the weekends big challenges too. If he comes through that with flying colours it'll start to look like more of a concrete possibility.

It'll be fun seeing how he handles it all, particularly if the others start really going after him.
User avatar Eclipse
Member
 
Posts: 1,295
Joined: 22 May 2014 20:41

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bardamu, Bolder, Iguana, Majestic-12 [Bot], SHAD0W93, Valv.Piti and 63 guests

Back to top