Register

Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

17 Sep 2018 12:59

sprints n stones wrote:Re new blood, is there in anyone from Aqua blue that would fit?

Looking for a rouleur and a mountain dom, Dunne and Denifl would fill each role. Nobody’s going to be able to swap bikes with Dunne, is the only thing.
Leinster

Re: Re:

17 Sep 2018 13:33

Leinster wrote:
sprints n stones wrote:Re new blood, is there in anyone from Aqua blue that would fit?

Looking for a rouleur and a mountain dom, Dunne and Denifl would fill each role. Nobody’s going to be able to swap bikes with Dunne, is the only thing.

Yep, that could be a problem.Think Conor's said to be tallest cyclist in the world, 2.04 m or 6ft8ins!!
sprints n stones

17 Sep 2018 16:40

S.Yates must be one of the few riders in recent times to win a GT as their first ever stage race victory.
Last edited by yaco on 17 Sep 2018 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
yaco

Re:

17 Sep 2018 16:59

yaco wrote:S.Yates must be one of the few riders in recent times to win a GT as there first ever stage victory.

I think your sentence is a bit incomplete (do you mean stage race?), but if I understand it correctly, I can tell you that both Dumoulin and Aru had not won a stage race before their GT wins either. So it's actually more common than you would think. I think Hesjedal and Sastre did it too but PCS is not always reliable on retired riders' career victories.
User avatar tobydawq

17 Sep 2018 17:21

tobydawq wrote:
yaco wrote:S.Yates must be one of the few riders in recent times to win a GT as there first ever stage victory.

Andy Schleck too, although some people will tell you he never won a stage race at all.

I think your sentence is a bit incomplete (do you mean stage race?), but if I understand it correctly, I can tell you that both Dumoulin and Aru had not won a stage race before their GT wins either. So it's actually more common than you would think. I think Hesjedal and Sastre did it too but PCS is not always reliable on retired riders' career victories.
King Of The Wolds

17 Sep 2018 17:26

King Of The Wolds wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

Andy Schleck too, although some people will tell you he never won a stage race at all.

I certainly never saw him win a stage race, and I've watched all GTs since 2007.
User avatar tobydawq

18 Sep 2018 05:02

tobydawq wrote:
King Of The Wolds wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

I certainly never saw him win a stage race, and I've watched all GTs since 2007.

So Bjarne, Floyd and Lance did win stage races ? The Chicken looked like he was going to win one.........
movingtarget
Veteran

18 Sep 2018 05:59

movingtarget wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
King Of The Wolds wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

So Bjarne, Floyd and Lance did win stage races ? The Chicken looked like he was going to win one.........

Yes.

Or do you think Ullrich won five Tours?
User avatar tobydawq

18 Sep 2018 11:18

Leinster wrote:

He’d be useful in a crosswind and TTTs, also not afraid to attack and can climb ok for such a huge guy.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

18 Sep 2018 13:41

42x16ss wrote:
Leinster wrote:

He’d be useful in a crosswind and TTTs, also not afraid to attack and can climb ok for such a huge guy.

I wonder how many watts it saves to sit on his wheel instead of someone elses
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

18 Sep 2018 17:13

Red Rick wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
Leinster wrote:

Pretty sure it matters quite a lot, especially if its windy and flat. I certainly can feel it. The disadvantage is that you cant see what the **** is going on up ahead.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

18 Sep 2018 17:23

Red Rick wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
Leinster wrote:

User avatar tobydawq

18 Sep 2018 19:34

Valv.Piti wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
Leinster wrote:

Pretty sure it matters quite a lot, especially if its windy and flat. I certainly can feel it. The disadvantage is that you cant see what the **** is going on up ahead.

It’s one of the reasons he makes so many breaks of the day. Everyone wants him in it and the other guys try to get in the place in the line immediately after him.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re: Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

23 Sep 2018 13:37

Darek Baranowski (Banesto) talked with Matthew White yesterday. And he admitted Simon would target Giro'2019 to finally win it.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

01 Oct 2018 08:07

Dissapointing result from the twins @ WC.
Simon struggling with the length of the race I guess?
User avatar Oliver

01 Oct 2018 13:19

Warehouse them for the rest of the season as they already have close to 80 race days - Kreuziger and Nieve showed good form in the World's and will be viable options for the Italian fall races.
yaco

Re:

01 Oct 2018 13:21

yaco wrote:Warehouse them for the rest of the season as they already have close to 80 race days - Kreuziger and Nieve showed good form in the World's and will be viable options for the Italian fall races.

Yeah Kreuziger surprised me a little bit again with finally being super solid in the hardest one day races again out of nowhere.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

01 Oct 2018 13:28

Now I'm imagining a giant warehouse with cyclists in some kind of stasis.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

01 Oct 2018 13:30

RedheadDane wrote:Now I'm imagining a giant warehouse with cyclists in some kind of stasis.

Now I'm on my way to find mythical peak Contador.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

01 Oct 2018 16:33

Red Rick wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Now I'm imagining a giant warehouse with cyclists in some kind of stasis.

Now I'm on my way to find mythical peak Contador.

What exactly do you plan to do with him?
User avatar GuyIncognito

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing