Register

Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re:

25 May 2018 14:24

DNP-Old wrote:Nah, it's Chaves' fault. :)

Lol, stop it
User avatar Valv.Piti

25 May 2018 14:47

Chapeau Simon. What a brilliant, gutsy Giro.
User avatar SlickMongoose

25 May 2018 15:16

Gutted for him, will be out of top ten
del1962
Veteran

25 May 2018 15:26

Three stage wins and shown he definitely has potential to win a Grand Tour. It's been an excellent Giro either way for Simon
User avatar PremierAndrew

Re:

25 May 2018 15:41

PremierAndrew wrote:Three stage wins and shown he definitely has potential to win a Grand Tour. It's been an excellent Giro either way for Simon

Although you're right, I do believe that chances like this will not come often. Maybe being a top 5 rider is his max potential.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu

Re: Re:

25 May 2018 15:42

Bardamu wrote:
PremierAndrew wrote:Three stage wins and shown he definitely has potential to win a Grand Tour. It's been an excellent Giro either way for Simon

Although you're right, I do believe that chances like this will not come often. Maybe being a top 5 rider is his max potential.

He's 25 years old, if he was in his 30s I'd agree with you
User avatar PremierAndrew

25 May 2018 18:05

This is a good opportunity for Simon to understand his body better and to continue to build up his endurance - Ride more conservatively at the Vuelta and a top 5 or a podium is a strong possibility - Fairly certain he will stay with the team.
yaco

Re:

25 May 2018 18:11

I am not sure. If there's no underlying reason apart from fatigue for his difficulties in the last 2 stages, he may not win one at all.

Ok, maybe an early 2010's Vuelta type route would be doable.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

25 May 2018 18:15

Forgot to add my concern pre-race was that both Yates and Chaves were doing a third consecutive GT after the 2017 TDF and Vuelta - This was dodgy planning, though at the same time, both riders chse the Giro as a target in 2018.
yaco

Re:

25 May 2018 18:15

yaco wrote:This is a good opportunity for Simon to understand his body better and to continue to build up his endurance - Ride more conservatively at the Vuelta and a top 5 or a podium is a strong possibility - Fairly certain he will stay with the team.

Thats exactly what he shouldn't do. Ride more conservatively? Heck no, riding a bit more conservatively would have resulted and one stage win and he would have bonked massively today either way.

He peaked a bit too early and suddenly all lights just went off, bad recovery or something. But riding conservatively definitely isn't the answer with the characterics he has.
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re: Re:

25 May 2018 18:37

Valv.Piti wrote:
yaco wrote:This is a good opportunity for Simon to understand his body better and to continue to build up his endurance - Ride more conservatively at the Vuelta and a top 5 or a podium is a strong possibility - Fairly certain he will stay with the team.

Thats exactly what he shouldn't do. Ride more conservatively? Heck no, riding a bit more conservatively would have resulted and one stage win and he would have bonked massively today either way.

He peaked a bit too early and suddenly all lights just went off, bad recovery or something. But riding conservatively definitely isn't the answer with the characterics he has.

You need to ride more conservatively if you wish to podium or win a GT, unless you are classes above the opposition Which means you don,t peak too early - Finally don't underestimate how taxing doing three consecutive GT's cn be.
yaco

25 May 2018 18:44

I have thought for awhile that the best both Yates will do in a GT ever will be 4th

Its not that they are not great riders ...they are ...but just look at the profile of GT winners
Firstly there are better high mountain climbers out there who are already good in the 3rd week by 25

But the Yates twins can win many races and stages .they are explosive and can climb .....just not GT imo
HelloDolly

Re: Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

25 May 2018 18:45

He probably wasted a bit of his energy with completely unnecessary pulls on stages like the one to Imola. No way however that was the reason for cracking so badly. I'd be surprised if this doesn't have anything to do with illness. To think that two days ago it seemed impossible for him not to win and all of a sudden he isn't even in the top ten anymore. This giro really has been insane
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

25 May 2018 18:46

Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

25 May 2018 18:46

Yates has several things working against him. Peaked early. Spent a ton of energy gaining time on Dumoulin and Froome. After Chaves lost form he missed a true super helper. And after the TT he was just empty and done. If he timed his peak differently and counted on his ability for the final 3 stages it might have gone differently. But then the TT gap might have been too big. It's hard to tell. Maybe he just has poor recovery over 3 weeks
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

25 May 2018 18:48

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Yates has several things working against him. Peaked early. Spent a ton of energy gaining time on Dumoulin and Froome. After Chaves lost form he missed a true super helper. And after the TT he was just empty and done. If he timed his peak differently and counted on his ability for the final 3 stages it might have gone differently. But then the TT gap might have been too big. It's hard to tell. Maybe he just has poor recovery over 3 weeks

Maybe

But this isn't your average case of fading in the 3rd week.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

25 May 2018 19:37

Anyway, hopefully he can bounce back from this. This is the Giro and I stuff like this just happens more there.

At least he has 3 great stage wins to show for it. He's not leaving empty handed.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

25 May 2018 20:13

The stage 19 backstage pass is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTwi97SGjs4

Inspirational words from the team despite losing the jersey.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

25 May 2018 20:14

S.Yates had a great race and he should be proud of it.It was expected to fade a bit at some point but this was rather strange,complete collapse :( Talent is there,hopefully he'll get a GT win in the future.
User avatar DBotero

25 May 2018 20:44

DBotero wrote:S.Yates had a great race and he should be proud of it.It was expected to fade a bit at some point but this was rather strange,complete collapse :( Talent is there,hopefully he'll get a GT win in the future.

I agree, I'm sure it will hurt for a while but he can take the positives from these last 3 weeks. Today just seemed too bad to be a standard third week fade, I'm sure something will come to light.

He's 25 and has plenty of time of time on his side to try and go that step further and win a GT. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up next season.
User avatar Pricey_sky

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing