Register

Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

15 Sep 2018 19:12

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
Red Rick wrote:I don't buy that Yates is ready to win the Tour. I'm not sure he'd be that big of a pain to the Sky train.

I think that the Sky domestiques at this year’s Giro might not agree with your second sentence.

Thats really wasnt a train.. I mean apart from maybe one stage, it was pretty mediocre

I think Simon should Giro + Vuelta again
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

15 Sep 2018 19:40

Sky was full train for like 2 stages in the Giro, and they only needed a few dudes cause that's how it works on climbs like the Zoncolan. I just have a very hard time seeing Yates make up the 2 minutes he drops in TTT(somebody please nuke) and ITT.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

15 Sep 2018 19:58

Don't like him particularly (although he is a really spectacular rider), but this win is well deserved. Congrats Simon!
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

15 Sep 2018 20:03

Good job to Simon on winning. I find it kinda funny that Adam was thought of as the better GT rider and Simon the classic rider at the beginning of their careers and it has kinda swapped.
User avatar SHAD0W93

Re:

15 Sep 2018 20:06

Red Rick wrote:Sky was full train for like 2 stages in the Giro, and they only needed a few dudes cause that's how it works on climbs like the Zoncolan. I just have a very hard time seeing Yates make up the 2 minutes he drops in TTT(somebody please nuke) and ITT.

Froome seemed worse off then admited after the pre-ITT crash at the Giro. The first week was "damage limitations". Apart from battling the Sky A team plus Tommy D, he now has the prospect of Mas who can ITT & climb too. (not to mention Bernal)

The Giro & Vuelta do suit him better generally.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

15 Sep 2018 20:07

SHAD0W93 wrote:Good job to Simon on winning. I find it kinda funny that Adam was thought of as the better GT rider and Simon the classic rider at the beginning of their careers and it has kinda swapped.

Twin magic. ;)
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

15 Sep 2018 20:41

Mayomaniac wrote:
SHAD0W93 wrote:Good job to Simon on winning. I find it kinda funny that Adam was thought of as the better GT rider and Simon the classic rider at the beginning of their careers and it has kinda swapped.

Twin magic. ;)

You know honestly I was thinking of that before in that we would have no idea if they or any other twin switch during a race. I'm not saying any have done it but it was a thought and if that would actually help them during a Grand Tour.
User avatar SHAD0W93

15 Sep 2018 20:47

SHAD0W93 wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:

Twin magic. ;)

You know honestly I was thinking of that before in that we would have no idea if they or any other twin switch during a race. I'm not saying any have done it but it was a thought and if that would actually help them during a Grand Tour.

The first Yates GT win is one they raced together. Coincidence? :lol:
User avatar SlickMongoose

Re: Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

15 Sep 2018 20:56

I think he'll go to the tour next year and although I don't think he is the favorite he will surely be a force to be reckoned with. Let's not forget he dominated Dumoulin and Froome for 17 stages at the giro and they are seen as the favorites for the tour next year. Anyway, although I still wouldn't call myself a fan I just have to say that watching him is a joy. So aggressive, not afraid to take initiative and extremely explosive. In a vuelta where everyone called Enric Mas the new Contador it was Yates who really deserved that title.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

15 Sep 2018 20:58

Don't be so thick. They called Mas the new Contador because he is spanish, so another spanish rider with the style of Contador.

Ofcourse Yates doesn't fit that title because a) he's not Spanish and b) Mas has a time trial in this vuelta much closer than Contador

But mainly, the whole point of being called a new Contador is the spanish passport.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

15 Sep 2018 21:02

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Don't be so thick. They called Mas the new Contador because he is spanish, so another spanish rider with the style of Contador.

Ofcourse Yates doesn't fit that title because a) he's not Spanish and b) Mas has a time trial in this vuelta much closer than Contador

But mainly, the whole point of being called a new Contador is the spanish passport.

I know, hell I have been on the "Mas is the new Contador" hypetrain myself. I just wanted to say that the way Yates rode massively reminded me on Contador
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

15 Sep 2018 22:33

A-ha! I've learned the secret!
Adam warmed up.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

16 Sep 2018 01:12

Red Rick wrote:Sky was full train for like 2 stages in the Giro, and they only needed a few dudes cause that's how it works on climbs like the Zoncolan. I just have a very hard time seeing Yates make up the 2 minutes he drops in TTT(somebody please nuke) and ITT.

I’m not saying that SY will just smash up the Sky train. I do think that it would be great to see the train threatened simultaneously by a superior TTist, who benefits from the train himself, and a superior climber, who crucially is both more aggressive and more explosive than Quintana. I think that creates more tactical difficulties or more opportunities to make the wrong call. Roglic is a wild card.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

16 Sep 2018 04:30

Great win for Yates and what a year for Brit cycling. I wonder what riders like Pinot and Porte are thinking especially after the wins by Thomas and Yates. And both were more dominant wins than Froome's although Froome did win in the old style and also won on Zoncolan. A crazy year for ups and downs so far so I am guessing there will be a surprise winner at the Worlds.........
movingtarget
Veteran

16 Sep 2018 05:45

Immaculate performance over the three weeks. Froome and Dumoulin better watch out next year, there's a new dog in town.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

Re:

16 Sep 2018 05:58

Laplaz wrote:Don't like him particularly (although he is a really spectacular rider), but this win is well deserved. Congrats Simon!

What don’t you like about him?
rick james

16 Sep 2018 06:15

Congratulations to Mitchelton Scott who've identified young potential GC riders in Yates x2 and Chaves, then developed them so they can be at the pointy end in GT's - Next target will be to get A.Yates to the level of S.Yates - My gut feel is S.Yates will ride the Giro and A.Yates will do the TDF in 2019.
yaco

16 Sep 2018 07:05

Chapeau Simon
del1962
Veteran

16 Sep 2018 07:50

Gigs_98 wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Don't be so thick. They called Mas the new Contador because he is spanish, so another spanish rider with the style of Contador.

I know, hell I have been on the "Mas is the new Contador" hypetrain myself. I just wanted to say that the way Yates rode massively reminded me on Contador

Agreed; there are regrettably very few serious GC contenders willing to attack a race these days like Contador was....of the current crop I think Yates is the closest and hence one of the most exciting to watch
brownbobby

Re:

16 Sep 2018 10:28

Exactly^^.

Can SY win the Tour? Of course, but I don't think he can win against a strong TT'er who can climb and who also has a formidable train. I.E. Froomer or Thomas.

I think if he were mano-a-mano against Dumoulin/Sunweb, yes, it would be a tossup. He can take time on Dumoulin in the mountains, but will certainly lose 2+ plus depending on how the TTs are set up. And Sunweb are world champs in TTT. So against an in-form Dumoulin it would be very tough for Yates or another pure climber to win, but possible. But against Sky, with Poels/Bernal/Kwiat leading out Froome or Thomas? I think Yates wouldn't have a chance to attack.
Bolder

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing