Register

Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

18 Apr 2018 20:23

What the hell are they doing this week?

We wouldn't want El Pisti to become right about his thesis that the best riders skip the Ardennes.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

19 Apr 2018 12:32

tobydawq wrote:What the hell are they doing this week?

We wouldn't want El Pisti to become right about his thesis that the best riders skip the Ardennes.

A.Yates is recovering from a broken pelvis while S.Yates is preparing for the Giro - Though Simon may have ridden Fleche or LBL - Unless Simon is a last minute addition for LBL.
Last edited by yaco on 20 Apr 2018 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
yaco

20 Apr 2018 10:11

Juul-Jensen said in an interview with danish media yesterday, that he is not riding the tour, but giro instead, because Mitchelton-Scott is basing their tour squad around Caleb Ewan, and he is not part of the sprint train.

Sounds odd, that the team would just give up all GC hope for the tour?
Broccolidwarf

Re: Re:

20 Apr 2018 10:31

yaco wrote:

A.Yates is recovering from a broken collarbone while S.Yates is preparing for the Giro - Though Simon may have ridden Fleche or LBL - Unless Simon is a last minute addition for LBL.

Wasn't it the pelvis? Or did he get injured again?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

20 Apr 2018 11:54

Broccolidwarf wrote:Juul-Jensen said in an interview with danish media yesterday, that he is not riding the tour, but giro instead, because Mitchelton-Scott is basing their tour squad around Caleb Ewan, and he is not part of the sprint train.

I posted this months ago - There are a couple of factors at play - One the GC rider's were unhappy in 2017 with the teams choice of GC - Each of the GC riders have been given their choice of target - So the Giro and the Vuelta will have strong climbing squads - There are several factors why Ewan is riding the TDF - Being he is ready for the race, MS has an underwhelming record in the TDF, especially stages so they expect Ewan to win a stage and MS is looking for a new sponsor. Related to this is MS needs a marquee Australian rider - Also A.Yates is happy to ride the TDF with limited support, though Kreuziger will be a valuable ally - MS can do a good TTT which can place A.Yates in a good position in the early stages of the GC battle.
Last edited by yaco on 20 Apr 2018 11:56, edited 1 time in total.
yaco

20 Apr 2018 11:55

RedheadDane wrote:
yaco wrote:

A.Yates is recovering from a broken collarbone while S.Yates is preparing for the Giro - Though Simon may have ridden Fleche or LBL - Unless Simon is a last minute addition for LBL.

Should be pelvis.
yaco

21 Apr 2018 09:50

yaco wrote:
Broccolidwarf wrote:Juul-Jensen said in an interview with danish media yesterday, that he is not riding the tour, but giro instead, because Mitchelton-Scott is basing their tour squad around Caleb Ewan, and he is not part of the sprint train.

I posted this months ago - There are a couple of factors at play - One the GC rider's were unhappy in 2017 with the teams choice of GC - Each of the GC riders have been given their choice of target - So the Giro and the Vuelta will have strong climbing squads - There are several factors why Ewan is riding the TDF - Being he is ready for the race, MS has an underwhelming record in the TDF, especially stages so they expect Ewan to win a stage and MS is looking for a new sponsor. Related to this is MS needs a marquee Australian rider - Also A.Yates is happy to ride the TDF with limited support, though Kreuziger will be a valuable ally - MS can do a good TTT which can place A.Yates in a good position in the early stages of the GC battle.

...Adam Yates is there for GC is enough to understand they would not give up all GC hopes for the Tour. And the main reason why team supports more Caleb than A. Yates might be Adam's possible lack of form because of injury.
Kokoso

21 Apr 2018 09:51

yaco wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
yaco wrote:

Should be pelvis.

Collarbone should be pelvis? :)
Kokoso

21 Apr 2018 11:54

Kokoso wrote:
yaco wrote:

...Adam Yates is there for GC is enough to understand they would not give up all GC hopes for the Tour. And the main reason why team supports more Caleb than A. Yates might be Adam's possible lack of form because of injury.

Please read my previous post and others of a similar vein from the previous few months - This was a pre-ordained plan that was made in October and November, no matter whether A.Yates broke his pelvis - AFAIK, Yates is progressing well from injury and should be in tip-top shape for the TDF.
yaco

10 May 2018 17:08

Simon Yates - "I said to him as soon as I caught him that he could take the stage because if I had enough time then I would take the jersey. He'd been out on the road all day so I think he deserved it."

Class
saunaking

10 May 2018 17:22

It is. I really hope that wasn't his last chance at a Giro stage win though. Chaves already had one.
Strawberry_Jams

10 May 2018 17:25

There has been much discussion trying to find a point of difference between the two brothers - Reckon Adam is stronger in the long one day races like LBL.
yaco

10 May 2018 20:02

Adams gonna have a lot to live up to in the Tour.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

10 May 2018 20:35

I've been seriously confused about the "Philip" part during this Giro, but I'm going to assume the Giro organisers didn't just randomly add a middle name.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

10 May 2018 20:52

Yeah Philip is his middle name.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re: Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

10 May 2018 20:55

In case Simon's performances getting better has anything to do with age, would that automatically mean Adam will improve this year to? I mean, they are genetically identical, and they have always been on a very similar level in terms of strength before, so it would kinda make sense if Adam improves.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

10 May 2018 20:55

Pure class today. Classy ride and classy act at the end.
User avatar Blanco

10 May 2018 21:00

Gigs_98 wrote:In case Simon's performances getting better has anything to do with age, would that automatically mean Adam will improve this year to? I mean, they are genetically identical, and they have always been on a very similar level in terms of strength before, so it would kinda make sense if Adam improves.

Are they, though? From what I understand they're actually fraternal twins, just looking somewhat alike.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

10 May 2018 21:07

RedheadDane wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:In case Simon's performances getting better has anything to do with age, would that automatically mean Adam will improve this year to? I mean, they are genetically identical, and they have always been on a very similar level in terms of strength before, so it would kinda make sense if Adam improves.

Are they, though? From what I understand they're actually fraternal twins, just looking somewhat alike.

They're not identical twins, so basically regular brothers born on the same day.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

10 May 2018 21:17

Adam would have to improve a hell of a lot in order for him just to consider to attack in TdF..
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing