Register

Julian Arredondo discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Julian Arredondo discussion thread

27 Apr 2014 15:47

After watching this fantastic (!) LBL, the only thing i had in mind: creating a thread for Julian Arredondo. The guy is riding fantastic in his first year at the WT. And more important, he's a real attacker who shows he can win a race like this in the near future (if you're asking me). The guy got some balls.

What do you think? Discuss al his activities, rumours and other things you want to put into!

Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo
Veteran

27 Apr 2014 15:58

Great rider and having a great season. He's a rider that's always willing to go on the attack and take a chance. One of the few to do this at LBL. I'm liking him more and more.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

27 Apr 2014 16:01

Might as well create a random ****ty rider discussion thread :o
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

27 Apr 2014 16:21

Arredondo at least had the balls to attack. If he waited he'd probably top 5-ed this race. But I'm glad he didn't. At least he was a joy to watch
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

27 Apr 2014 16:26

Loved him today. I don't know much about him so I'd be glad if someone can offer some knowledge about him. He looks quite bulky to be a climber. How is he in high mountains?
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

27 Apr 2014 16:35

SafeBet wrote:Loved him today. I don't know much about him so I'd be glad if someone can offer some knowledge about him. He looks quite bulky to be a climber. How is he in high mountains?

He is more a classic rider than a pure climber. During his time in the Italian U23 circuit, he was already one of the better riders in the Italian one day races (he won the big GP Folignano for example).

He says by himself that he is more a rider for the short, steep climbs like Fleche and LBL. FW is his dream race. In Tirreno however, he rode really good on the long climbs, and last year he won on Genting Highlands in Langkawi.

Here's a interview from our respected colleague on CN;)

http://www.cyclingupdates.com/interview-julian-arredondo/

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo
Veteran

JArredondo

27 Apr 2014 19:09

From what I have seen a read, he is a climber. As seen by a couple of his wins. I would not go so far as to say he is limited to a "classics" guy only. He was done well in a some short stage races so far.

I am excited to see what he can do at the Giro (I think he is going there). He along with Zoidl are exciting for Trek. I know he has some work to do in in TT, but with what he can do on climbs, maybe he can keep it close.

I am really hoping this guy can be a bright light for Trek, along with Spartacus and Zoidl.
stabbin31

27 Apr 2014 19:14

stabbin31 wrote:From what I have seen a read, he is a climber. As seen by a couple of his wins. I would not go so far as to say he is limited to a "classics" guy only. He was done well in a some short stage races so far.

I am excited to see what he can do at the Giro (I think he is going there). He along with Zoidl are exciting for Trek. I know he has some work to do in in TT, but with what he can do on climbs, maybe he can keep it close.

I am really hoping this guy can be a bright light for Trek, along with Spartacus and Zoidl.

He is. Together with Kiserlovski and Zoidl, he will be the man for Trek. His goal is to get a stage win.

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo
Veteran

27 Apr 2014 20:21

With Jungels, Arredondo, Zoidl, Stuyven, Van Poppel and Watson for the future and Cancellara as the most reliable classics rider around, Trek can definitely get rid of the Schlecks and get someone else.
"I was excited to pass Rui Costa in front of me. I never thought that would be possible in my life."
Tour de France almost-winner, Andy Schleck acknowledges Rui Costa's awesomeness.

"58x11. I do not often use it, but when you need it, it is always there."
Why the hell would you need that Tony?
User avatar trevim

29 Apr 2014 13:50

He's a rising star...
SoeSach
Newly Registered Member

29 Apr 2014 15:29

He seems like a killer to me, who has that natural instinct to finish the job. He seems to like attacking, yes, but he's also not afraid to wheelsuck all the way as he proved in San Luis :D
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Veteran

29 Apr 2014 15:46

Reminds me of Betancur both in build and (attacking) style.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

29 Apr 2014 16:29

This ^... He likes to attack and can climb well. I am very interested to see what he can do in the high mountains. As I said before, I am not sure about his TT'ing and how much that needs to improve.

Does anyone think he can be a factor in one of the Grand Tours?
stabbin31

29 Apr 2014 17:23

Netserk wrote:Might as well create a random ****ty rider discussion thread :o

Why pee on this guy's parade?! :( He's an up and coming rider with exciting potential.

Edit: Ignore the previous version of my post. I flew off the handle.:o
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 03:28

stabbin31 wrote:This ^... He likes to attack and can climb well. I am very interested to see what he can do in the high mountains. As I said before, I am not sure about his TT'ing and how much that needs to improve.

Does anyone think he can be a factor in one of the Grand Tours?

The potential is there I think. He was 5th in TA and 4th in San Luis. Of course a GT is a whole other ball game, but it shows he can place in a stage race.

Will be interesting to see how he goes in the Giro, it'll be his first GT.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 03:47

trevim wrote:With Jungels, Arredondo, Zoidl, Stuyven, Van Poppel and Watson for the future and Cancellara as the most reliable classics rider around, Trek can definitely get rid of the Schlecks and get someone else.

Agreed. Ship Andy and Roulston off to the glue factory and bring in a decent classics dom or two for Cance. Or an Ardennes contender to mentor the likes of Arredondo and Zoidl.
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 08:23

Netserk wrote:Reminds me of Betancur both in build and (attacking) style.

stabbin31 wrote:Does anyone think he can be a factor in one of the Grand Tours?

In the interview posted earlier, he says:

"I don’t lose my sleep over the GTs. I like to win stages and one-day races."

Refreshingly honest, I think
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Veteran

30 Apr 2014 09:00

Christian wrote:Image

In the interview posted earlier, he says:

"I don’t lose my sleep over the GTs. I like to win stages and one-day races."

Refreshingly honest, I think

I really liked that answer, it's good to see someone really focus on the Ardennes and not lose possible power to also content in GCs.
User avatar Ruudz0r

30 Apr 2014 11:06

Betancur is smiling cause he found someone smaller than him and as a bonus someone with an even tackier earring :D
User avatar Arnout

01 May 2014 06:03

So, is it about time Trek gives Arrendondo an extension? Might as well lock up some of these younger guys before other teams wise up.
stabbin31

Next

Return to Professional road racing