Register

Leopold Konig discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Leopold Konig discussion thread

24 Jul 2014 20:01

This young Czech rider from the second-class team Netapp has been riding without anybody's help, yet he has been keeping up with the best riders on the Tour.

With clumsy Talansky fallling off his bike more often than not, Konig would not have lost some three minutes. Being a good TT rider, he still has a chance to move one or perhaps two places up, provided that no accidents will occur, of course.

Thumbs up for Konig.....
User avatar doubleaspect
Newly Registered Member

24 Jul 2014 20:10

The Visegrád Group (minus Hungary) is doing well these days with König, Kreuziger, Štybar, Sagan, Majka and Kwiatkowski.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

24 Jul 2014 20:11

Can you please add to the title 'discussion thread'?;)
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

24 Jul 2014 20:21

I'd say König isn't particularly strong tt, maybe about the same level as the Dutch duo, hardly better - but hope he'll prove the very opposite.
User avatar plooton

24 Jul 2014 20:25

I am very very pleased with how he has performed. Showed a lot of guts and determination over the course of the race.

A really great Tour given his interrupted season
User avatar Eclipse

24 Jul 2014 20:28

The best German climber by far, well done Leopold:D:D:D
User avatar Bavarianrider

25 Jul 2014 00:15

Bavarianrider wrote:The best German climber by far, well done Leopold:D:D:D

Claudia Häusler
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

25 Jul 2014 00:23

plooton wrote:I'd say König isn't particularly strong tt, maybe about the same level as the Dutch duo, hardly better - but hope he'll prove the very opposite.

He's better then Ten Dam for sure. Mollema in his best ITT's was 11th in the Tour last year x2.. so that will be tough

However, Bianchi ITT bikes are not so good. They now received new ones that supposed to be more aerodynamic. But they have not been raced, EVER. The Tour ITT will be the FIRST time that Mollema and Ten Dam will ride with the new bianchi ITT bikes..

So good chance of fail there.
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

25 Jul 2014 06:11

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:He's better then Ten Dam for sure. Mollema in his best ITT's was 11th in the Tour last year x2.. so that will be tough

However, Bianchi ITT bikes are not so good. They now received new ones that supposed to be more aerodynamic. But they have not been raced, EVER. The Tour ITT will be the FIRST time that Mollema and Ten Dam will ride with the new bianchi ITT bikes..

So good chance of fail there.

Lol,thats pretty stupid idea then:eek:
Edit: thanks for almost secret information
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

25 Jul 2014 06:45

plooton wrote:I'd say König isn't particularly strong tt, maybe about the same level as the Dutch duo, hardly better - but hope he'll prove the very opposite.

I think he will be in Top 20. Not exceptional TT-list, but very good one.
Lance Armstrong

25 Jul 2014 09:22

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:He's better then Ten Dam for sure. Mollema in his best ITT's was 11th in the Tour last year x2.. so that will be tough

However, Bianchi ITT bikes are not so good. They now received new ones that supposed to be more aerodynamic. But they have not been raced, EVER. The Tour ITT will be the FIRST time that Mollema and Ten Dam will ride with the new bianchi ITT bikes..So good chance of fail there.

wow. is it confirmed they NEVER even tried the bikes?
a bike company is expected to develop a bike with their sponsored team. and I guess Bianchi did not come up let's say.. in June with the new TT bike project...
pastronef

25 Jul 2014 09:24

They said so in an interview in the Avondetappe yesterday at Dutch TV. Mollema literally said they never rode the new ITT bike and it just came in on the 2nd restday
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
Veteran

25 Jul 2014 09:38

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:They said so in an interview in the Avondetappe yesterday at Dutch TV. Mollema literally said they never rode the new ITT bike and it just came in on the 2nd restday

wow, I think Bianchi were prepared to jump ship. then the Dutch Lotto came on board...
back to Leopold
one of the few things to cheer for me in this Tour. together with Haimar 10th place, and Majka polka dot and stages.
I hope he can put a good TT and keep his 9th place
pastronef

25 Jul 2014 12:33

I really hope he joins Stybar at Etixx-Quick Step next year. Was rumored a few days ago. :)
[SIZE="2"]"Life should be a little nuts, otherwise it's just a bunch of Thursdays strung together!"[/SIZE]
User avatar Akuryo

25 Jul 2014 12:41

pastronef wrote:wow, I think Bianchi were prepared to jump ship. then the Dutch Lotto came on board...
back to Leopold
one of the few things to cheer for me in this Tour. together with Haimar 10th place, and Majka polka dot and stages.

No, it's not like that. Bianchi was preparing a new ITT bike since the start of the year, but it had a lot of problems. They wanted to give the new bike before the tour (preferably ahead of dauphine/suissE), but it took them even longer then that...
Veteran

25 Jul 2014 13:04

pastronef wrote:wow, I think Bianchi were prepared to jump ship. then the Dutch Lotto came on board...
back to Leopold

He would have to lose 2 minutes to Zubeldia to lose the 9th place. There is better chance moving up as Ten Dam is just 22 sec ahead of him and Mollema 1:41 ahead of him.

Well, it could go either way as 54km is pretty long TT. :cool:
User avatar Jancouver

25 Jul 2014 13:06

König was 11th in the Vuelta ITT last year
Mollema 11th in both TDF itt's..

it will all depend on form of the day. Normally I think König is the more natural ITT-er. But a 55km ITT after a 3 week Tour, it's hard to say
Veteran

25 Jul 2014 13:09

Jancouver wrote:He would have to lose 2 minutes to Zubeldia to lose the 9th place. There is better chance moving up as Ten Dam is just 22 sec ahead of him and Mollema 1:41 ahead of him.

Well, it could go either way as 54km is pretty long TT. :cool:

Leo Konig is only 41 seconds behind Mollema, it´s going to be real fight on seventh place :)
Sprite0309

25 Jul 2014 13:10

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:König was 11th in the Vuelta ITT last year
Mollema 11th in both TDF itt's..

it will all depend on form of the day. Normally I think König is the more natural ITT-er. But a 55km ITT after a 3 week Tour, it's hard to say

I think Mollema has looked good in the Pyrenees, whereas both Ten Dam and König looked better in the Alpes. So Mollema to hold his spot and König to overtake Ten Dam.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

25 Jul 2014 18:39

Konig is quite confident that he will succeed in tomorrow's time trial despite the crash he happened to have today. He is a very down-to-earth guy who never overestimated his abilities. On the contrary, whatever he claimed only proved to be true so far.

BTW, he posted a comment after today's crash on FB that "he is OK".

Tomorrow's TT will tell.........cheers
User avatar doubleaspect
Newly Registered Member

Next

Return to Professional road racing