Log in:  

Register

UCI to trial disc brakes?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

28 Feb 2017 23:18

LaFlorecita wrote:Adam Hansen believes Specialized are pushing disc brakes and forcing their riders to advertize them
http://road.cc/content/news/218136-lotto-soudal-pro-adam-hansen-says-specialized-trying-force-disc-brakes-peloton
“The other teams, they all have the option to use them but no-one is. I don’t want to be picking on sponsors or anything, but this is Specialized riders that are using them.”


The CPA isn't going to let the UCI off the hook.
http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/news/cpa-lawyers-challenge-ucis-disc-brake-rules_431446
Lawyers from rider organization Cyclistes Professionnels Associés (CPA) have sent a “legal warning” to the Union Cycliste International (UCI) on the issue of disc brakes in pro racing.

The letter reiterates the CPA’s position that the UCI did not properly vet disc brake technology, and states that the UCI is responsible for any “damage or accident that should happen to the riders.” The statement references EU employment law that requires employers to a safe working environment for workers.


This is precisely the issue. In a curious way, the business model of pro cycling hinges on this - because, big bike brands are now key sponsors, and their business model depends upon constantly updated new tech. Disc brakes on top end carbon road bikes is the next big tech update.

Sagan and Kittel riding discs translates to direct increases in sales; none of this is merely 'progress' - it is an intentional and carefully planned marketing/sales strategy.

Therefore, the issue is that these commercial interests are actually very powerful, and they are/will continually override any kind of impartial and open ended dialogue on the matter. And that is especially appalling when the riders believe their safety is threatened. They're not idiots; if that's what they believe, everyone should be listening.
User avatar The Hegelian
Member
 
Posts: 856
Joined: 06 Jul 2014 09:18

Re: Re:

01 Mar 2017 00:53

The Hegelian wrote:......Therefore, the issue is that these commercial interests are actually very powerful, and they are/will continually override any kind of impartial and open ended dialogue on the matter. And that is especially appalling when the riders believe their safety is threatened. They're not idiots; if that's what they believe, everyone should be listening.


Interesting how the pros put up with all those structural failures of carbon in the early 2000's. Many crashes and injuries as result. The risk was more than tolerated, and for years. You ever get a carbon shard in your skin from crashing? I have. It's as if you're being burnt by a propane torch. Remember the great helmet protest of 1991 at Paris-Nice? [golf clapping]

There's a long and sordid history of idiocy in our sport regarding the safety of the riders at the highest levels, especially road. Everybody is at fault. The riders and the CPA, the manufacturers, and the bureaucrats of the UCI. This is by no means a one way street.
Last edited by Giuseppe Magnetico on 01 Mar 2017 02:13, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 726
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re: Re:

01 Mar 2017 01:30

The Hegelian wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:Adam Hansen believes Specialized are pushing disc brakes and forcing their riders to advertize them
http://road.cc/content/news/218136-lotto-soudal-pro-adam-hansen-says-specialized-trying-force-disc-brakes-peloton
“The other teams, they all have the option to use them but no-one is. I don’t want to be picking on sponsors or anything, but this is Specialized riders that are using them.”


The CPA isn't going to let the UCI off the hook.
http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/news/cpa-lawyers-challenge-ucis-disc-brake-rules_431446
Lawyers from rider organization Cyclistes Professionnels Associés (CPA) have sent a “legal warning” to the Union Cycliste International (UCI) on the issue of disc brakes in pro racing.

The letter reiterates the CPA’s position that the UCI did not properly vet disc brake technology, and states that the UCI is responsible for any “damage or accident that should happen to the riders.” The statement references EU employment law that requires employers to a safe working environment for workers.


This is precisely the issue. In a curious way, the business model of pro cycling hinges on this - because, big bike brands are now key sponsors, and their business model depends upon constantly updated new tech. Disc brakes on top end carbon road bikes is the next big tech update.

Sagan and Kittel riding discs translates to direct increases in sales; none of this is merely 'progress' - it is an intentional and carefully planned marketing/sales strategy.

Therefore, the issue is that these commercial interests are actually very powerful, and they are/will continually override any kind of impartial and open ended dialogue on the matter. And that is especially appalling when the riders believe their safety is threatened. They're not idiots; if that's what they believe, everyone should be listening.

Hansen also ignores the fact that the most extensive tester so far was probably Markel Irizar at the 2015 Vuelta. On a Trek...
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,929
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

01 Mar 2017 01:58

User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,929
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

01 Mar 2017 02:49

Right? Watch me burn myself now! :surprised: :lol: :rolleyes:
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 726
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

01 Mar 2017 04:42

I think discs provide much more danger as a strike injury (like being hit by a blunt axe) than they do as a spinning cutting injury. Most of the objects being shown cut by a (standard, non rounded) disc have to be held there for a considerable time and often with considerable force to do any damage. Hold a shoe against a spinning tire for long enough and it will cut through it eventually too.
Tim B
Junior Member
 
Posts: 77
Joined: 23 May 2015 23:49

01 Mar 2017 05:46

User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 726
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re:

01 Mar 2017 08:55


Now let's see him try that on a bike going 50km/h with a 70kg rider on top. Or after braking heavily numerous times in the last 10 minutes, so that the discs are almost glowing hot.

This anecdotal evidence is just more spin, and quite possibly marketing driven again. An independent body (I would say the UCI, but then again...) really needs to conduct thorough safety testing based on a road racing environment. Or just put a big ugly cover on them - the discs will still brake as well as without one.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,356
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

Re:

01 Mar 2017 09:01

Tim B wrote:I think discs provide much more danger as a strike injury (like being hit by a blunt axe) than they do as a spinning cutting injury. Most of the objects being shown cut by a (standard, non rounded) disc have to be held there for a considerable time and often with considerable force to do any damage. Hold a shoe against a spinning tire for long enough and it will cut through it eventually too.


Exactly the cutting issue is really one of injury from impact not friction. Really those tests need to be done with riders weight through the wheels and at 40mph to simulate what happens in a crash, just like it is for bar ends without plugs, or QR levers with the pointy end sticking the wrong way. A better test would be to fire a leg of pork into a disc at 40mph to accurately simulate a rider crashing worst case scenario into a rider down on the road.

Besides all this, I'm not even sure safety is the real issue. Riders simply want 3 points addressed and then everyone will be on discs and Neutral Service needs standards and tolerances addressing too for them to do their job as fast as rim brakes too.
samhocking
Member
 
Posts: 1,945
Joined: 13 Mar 2013 22:44

Re: Re:

01 Mar 2017 16:30

samhocking wrote:A better test would be to fire a leg of pork into a disc at 40mph to accurately simulate a rider crashing worst case scenario into a rider down on the road.


I'm all for the pork cannon! More testing is very good. If it turns out that disc rotors are no more or less dangerous than any other part of a bike in a crash, then I request that Adam Hansen serve that pork leg raw to Ventoso, Maes, and Doull, who should all be forced to eat it.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 726
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

01 Mar 2017 18:11

The problem is that they want to force us to buy a new bike with disc brakes. You want to sell disc-brake bikes? ok, but let me choose if I want a disc-brake bike or not. Specialized is one of the brands that are not going to sell any bike without disc brakes from 2018.

They want us to buy, yes or yes, a new complete bike. That's the key and the main reason of the "disc-brake battle". It's the perfect business. I don't want disc brakes, let me buy a bike without them, and don't force me to buy a new one with disc brakes because I don't have any component in case I need it for my bike.
GambadiLegno
New Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 15 Jan 2017 08:04
Location: Spain

Re:

01 Mar 2017 22:27

GambadiLegno wrote:The problem is that they want to force us to buy a new bike with disc brakes. You want to sell disc-brake bikes? ok, but let me choose if I want a disc-brake bike or not. Specialized is one of the brands that are not going to sell any bike without disc brakes from 2018.

They want us to buy, yes or yes, a new complete bike. That's the key and the main reason of the "disc-brake battle". It's the perfect business. I don't want disc brakes, let me buy a bike without them, and don't force me to buy a new one with disc brakes because I don't have any component in case I need it for my bike.


deng-fu, hong-fu, nextie-bike, yishun. get 2-3 rim brake frames and wheels. and 2 groups on ebay.
we´ll be fine for the next 10 years.
then we´ll buy disc frames
pastronef
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,348
Joined: 19 Aug 2011 08:25
Location: Italia

Re:

01 Mar 2017 23:06


Yet another person who failed their high school physics class.

The energy involved in stopping that is approximately 0.3% of the energy required to stop a bike + rider travelling at speed.

An analogy to put it into terms people can reasonably relate to. Most of us, with a wheel spinning when a bike is in a stand, have stopped the wheel using our hand on the tyre. It might sting a little but no big deal right?

Now try using your hand on the tyre to stop you when on the bike travelling at high speed and doing so at the same braking rate. You would do yourself a serious injury due to the friction causing large amount of heat and deformation of your hand, if you were capable of withstanding the pain.
User avatar Alex Simmons/RST
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,274
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 23:47
Location: Australia

02 Mar 2017 00:06

So they should ban tyres too as you are much more likely to land on a tyre in a crash than a disc :-) just joking...
The thing with any of this is that any contact with a disc (or tyre for that matter) in a crash is momentary. You are not going to have your hand or foot or whatever on the disc from 60kph and decelerate down to zero on a weighted bike. In most pileups riders are travelling at the same speed in the same direction and bikes are usually off their wheels and unweighted almost immediately. Like with Doull, any contact with Kittel, if there even was any, was a split second at best.
Tim B
Junior Member
 
Posts: 77
Joined: 23 May 2015 23:49

Re: Re:

02 Mar 2017 03:34

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

Yet another person who failed their high school physics class.

The energy involved in stopping that is approximately 0.3% of the energy required to stop a bike + rider travelling at speed.

An analogy to put it into terms people can reasonably relate to. Most of us, with a wheel spinning when a bike is in a stand, have stopped the wheel using our hand on the tyre. It might sting a little but no big deal right?

Now try using your hand on the tyre to stop you when on the bike travelling at high speed and doing so at the same braking rate. You would do yourself a serious injury due to the friction causing large amount of heat and deformation of your hand, if you were capable of withstanding the pain.


How do you figure that a 3.5mm thick rotor with rounded edges duller than a butter knife can make cut from tongue to toe of a shoe that looks like was done with a box cutter? How about the feet of the fencing that Doull went into? After initial concat with their bars Doull feel to the left into the barriers and Kittel landed on his chest sliding by himself under the 1k banner, untouched other than his bike landing on his back. He should be sliced bacon, no? That video and the two from Velonews were made to simply debunk Doull's absurd claims that a rotor like this:
Image

Can do this:
Image

Didn't even have to see those demonstrations after seeing overhead footage of the crash. Sorry, professor. Not even the most ardent disc brake hater(it's a thing, really it is) can explain themselves out of this one.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 726
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re:

02 Mar 2017 09:32

Tim B wrote:So they should ban tyres too as you are much more likely to land on a tyre in a crash than a disc :-) just joking...
The thing with any of this is that any contact with a disc (or tyre for that matter) in a crash is momentary. You are not going to have your hand or foot or whatever on the disc from 60kph and decelerate down to zero on a weighted bike. In most pileups riders are travelling at the same speed in the same direction and bikes are usually off their wheels and unweighted almost immediately. Like with Doull, any contact with Kittel, if there even was any, was a split second at best.

Even if the bike is unweighted in a crash, it will still be moving at high speed until either it hits something (or someone) or the friction from the road slows it down enough. A spinning rotor hitting someone at 40km/h+ seems likely to cause some significant injuries imo. If it somehow gets near the face, neck, wrists or other soft body part then it could be very dangerous. This is the understandable fear from the riders - and a mechanic stopping a stationary brake with his hand is obviously not appeasing anyone.

I also the Doull thing is a bit of misdirection. It doesn't really matter whether his explanation is true or not - whether that cut was caused by a disc in this instance - what matters is whether or not a disc has the potential to cause such a cut, and how likely that is to happen. To understand that, thorough safety tests need to be done and independently reviewed. Specialized say they stand behind the safety of their product - so why don't they fund this and publically release the tests to back up their marketing spiel?

Alternatively, put on a big bulky cover that won't come off in a crash. But of course then they would look ugly and no-one would buy them, plus they would be unaerodynamic and take an age to change a wheel, so the riders wouldn't want them. The manufacturers really have to make a decision. Either put on the cover and accept that it's not a great marketing look, or prove that they are safe for riding in a pro peloton by funding extensive independent research.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,356
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

Re: UCI to trial disc brakes?

02 Mar 2017 09:49

With the way positions on both sides are becoming more and more entrenched the only solution is thorough testing. And preferably by an independant party.

I side on the pro disc side personally. As with most parts of a bicycle crashing into hard metal bits at 50+ km/h is going to pose a significant injury risk but i don't think the spinning disk part will be significantly more dangerous. Especially now that they have a rounded profile.

The only thing that could be more dangerous of discs in my opinion is the risk of severe burns when very hot discs come into contact with skin. Having burned my fingers on the brake track of a rim brake wheel on a super hot day out in the alpes cote d'azur i see that as the major issue to investigate.
User avatar gerundium
Member
 
Posts: 599
Joined: 01 Jan 2012 22:26

03 Mar 2017 01:42

Image
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,929
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: Re:

03 Mar 2017 01:45

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

Yet another person who failed their high school physics class.

The energy involved in stopping that is approximately 0.3% of the energy required to stop a bike + rider travelling at speed.

An analogy to put it into terms people can reasonably relate to. Most of us, with a wheel spinning when a bike is in a stand, have stopped the wheel using our hand on the tyre. It might sting a little but no big deal right?

Now try using your hand on the tyre to stop you when on the bike travelling at high speed and doing so at the same braking rate. You would do yourself a serious injury due to the friction causing large amount of heat and deformation of your hand, if you were capable of withstanding the pain.

From the article:

“I maintain that they are not dangerous. I’ve dared to stop a wheel at 60 kilometres an hour with my hand”, responded Boonen. "It’s absurd. Disc brakes seem at the moment to be the biggest problem in the world.” Het Nieuwsblad newspaper put Boonen’s theory to the test. A video shows Veranda’s Willems Crelan team mechanic, Tim Dejonghe, stopping the wheel at full speed with no injury to his hand.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,929
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: UCI to trial disc brakes?

03 Mar 2017 02:32

gerundium wrote:With the way positions on both sides are becoming more and more entrenched the only solution is thorough testing. And preferably by an independant party.

I side on the pro disc side personally. As with most parts of a bicycle crashing into hard metal bits at 50+ km/h is going to pose a significant injury risk but i don't think the spinning disk part will be significantly more dangerous. Especially now that they have a rounded profile.

The only thing that could be more dangerous of discs in my opinion is the risk of severe burns when very hot discs come into contact with skin. Having burned my fingers on the brake track of a rim brake wheel on a super hot day out in the alpes cote d'azur i see that as the major issue to investigate.


Think for a moment when in a race the most crashes happen with the most riders involved. Bunch sprints, and out on the flats when attention is waining. No brakes being used in either scenario until the crash happens. You have be on the hard on the brakes trough a few sharp turns or switches on some very steep descending in order to get a rim or rotor hot enough to burn. Crashing while descending is usually limited to one or a few riders, almost never do you see mass pile ups. When I first changed over to road disc a few years ago that was a big point of contention at the shop because we all knew how hot rotors get on the mountain bike and cross. So we went out and uncorked a couple 65kph sprints and came to very sudden stops to replicate panic braking in a crash. They get warm but not nearly hot enough to burn anyone.
Last edited by Giuseppe Magnetico on 03 Mar 2017 02:34, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 726
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ataraxus, Google Adsense [Bot], SafeBet, Tim Booth and 52 guests

Back to top