Register

Niki Terpstra thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Niki Terpstra thread

03 Mar 2015 22:07

As far as I can tell, Terpstra doesn't have his own thread here -- particularly odd after his successes last year.

I'm sure I'm not alone in really liking him as a rider. And I have the impression that a lot of people (both in the peloton and here in the forum) seem to dislike him. Beyond a video that someone recently posted of him using his elbows, I don't know why, but would be moderately interested to know why those who dislike him do so.

My (entirely fallible) impression is that he's someone who wins more on QS than he would elsewhere, benefiting more from opponents marking his team-mates (and Boonen in particular) than he misses out by riding for someone else. Relatedly, I vaguely (and again fallibly) remember Boonen being disappointed at missing out on Paris-Roubaix last year rather than pleased for his team-mate's win -- was that disappointment greater because Terpstra won than it would have been if, say, ?tybar had?

Anyway: discuss all things Terpstra here!
User avatar scholar

03 Mar 2015 22:14

Because nobody likes him :o

...except me,because he won me so much money last season that I was in the sky :D:D
Thanks for the thread.
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

04 Mar 2015 07:50

I'm a fan of Terpstra. 100+ race days and often competitive. Solid TT'er with a great position on the bike. Capable cobbles rider. Willing to take risks from the distance to try and win (probably the only way he can).

He will be ambitious again this year no doubt.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

04 Mar 2015 07:55

Terpstra can be an incredible pain in the *** and he doesn't mind adding some controversy.

Actually the reason that I start to like him more and more is because the growing dislike toward him. What I like most about him though is that he doesn'thave that typical dutch mentality. Most dutch riders in the bunch are just nice guys, while Terpstra is kind of an *ss and quite selfish. In the end it brings him a lot of sucess so I suggest he keeps on being who he is.

Smart rider as well.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran

04 Mar 2015 09:55

He's definitely a rider any team can use, really valuable. Don't really like him that much though;
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo
Veteran

04 Mar 2015 10:44

I remember his break through in the Tour of Belgium a couple of years ago. Already then he showed to be the type of rider who is not afraid to attack, a characteristic that usually leads to high popularity... Maybe his image really suffered from the elbowing etc. Personally, I think he can be quite funny. For instance when he answered a whole after-win interview by quoting the lyrics of a song.

I think it's beyond dispute that he developed into a quality rider, who also benefits from being on a strong team. If anything, at least he is not boring. By winning another major classic this season he could make a final step up to the top-ranks.
Hjulrytter
Newly Registered Member

04 Mar 2015 11:16

I don't get the hate about this guy,he's an interesting rider,aggressive i like him.Maybe his team is the problem,i personally don't like it.
Netserk wrote:Boonen not able to follow a Stannard attack?

Hahahahahahha:D
User avatar MBotero

04 Mar 2015 11:40

Dazed and Confused wrote:I'm a fan of Terpstra. 100+ race days and often competitive. Solid TT'er with a great position on the bike. Capable cobbles rider. Willing to take risks from the distance to try and win (probably the only way he can).

I know we're in PRR here, but I feel his six-day wins at Rotterdam and Amsterdam are also worth a mention.
User avatar scholar

04 Mar 2015 13:28

Great rider, horrible person.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo
Veteran

04 Mar 2015 13:30

What's wrong with him as a person?
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

04 Mar 2015 14:21

SafeBet wrote:What's wrong with him as a person?

He likes to win - at all costs. To achieve these goals he uses his elbows and stuff like that. He is selfish and also kind of arrogant after his recent success. But I still like him. Hard worker, races from January till December (road and track). Also pretty versatile. He is an excellent rider on cobbles, but also gets over some hills and got a decent time trial. Not to forget his success on the track in recent years. He won a lot of 6-day-races since he joined Quickstep. Most of them with Keisse, but this year also with Havik.
[SIZE="2"]"Life should be a little nuts, otherwise it's just a bunch of Thursdays strung together!"[/SIZE]
User avatar Akuryo

04 Mar 2015 14:35

MBotero wrote:I don't get the hate about this guy,he's an interesting rider,aggressive i like him.Maybe his team is the problem,i personally don't like it.

He is a bit selfish and rude,thats the problem.

Btw I just love your new signature:D
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

04 Mar 2015 14:56

ILovecycling wrote:He is a bit selfish and rude,thats the problem.

Btw I just love your new signature:D

He's just a bit too determined towards winning,but haters gonna hate:)

Courtesy of Netserk,I have no merit:D
Netserk wrote:Boonen not able to follow a Stannard attack?

Hahahahahahha:D
User avatar MBotero

04 Mar 2015 15:10

Akuryo wrote:He likes to win - at all costs. To achieve these goals he uses his elbows and stuff like that. He is selfish and also kind of arrogant after his recent success. But I still like him. Hard worker, races from January till December (road and track). Also pretty versatile. He is an excellent rider on cobbles, but also gets over some hills and got a decent time trial. Not to forget his success on the track in recent years. He won a lot of 6-day-races since he joined Quickstep. Most of them with Keisse, but this year also with Havik.

Can't that be said about most attacking riders though?
User avatar TMP401

04 Mar 2015 15:35

Nothing wrong being selfish as a rider, he's just kinda of ******.
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo
Veteran

04 Mar 2015 18:30

He's not less selfish then any other top rider.

But the way he reacts is really off putting sometimes. So I get why people hate him.

I do not like or dislike Terpstra, kinda neutral. I like his style of racing though. But as a person, not my cup of tea
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

04 Mar 2015 18:42

Terpstra just acts like a prick in interviews and during races. Also in criteriums he shows a really poor attitude. In Dutch we would say a 'eikeltje'

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo
Veteran

04 Mar 2015 18:58

So does Cav, but everyone says he's a great guy. Some people can just be different persons when they do sports or play games.

And of course I like Terpstra as well, wonderful style on a bike.
User avatar Flamin

04 Mar 2015 19:00

Arredondo wrote:Terpstra just acts like a prick in interviews and during races. Also in criteriums he shows a really poor attitude. In Dutch we would say a 'eikeltje'

which means? (use dots:D)
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

04 Mar 2015 19:29

ILovecycling wrote:which means? (use dots:D)

A dickhead;)

~ Mark Twain
User avatar Arredondo
Veteran

Next

Return to Professional road racing