Register

Esteban Chaves Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re:

22 Feb 2017 22:55

sQiD wrote:he will have Roman Kreuziguer by his side

It always depends on which Kreuziger turns up. Others like Howson could be just as important for Chaves.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

23 Feb 2017 18:32

Valv.Piti wrote:Not doing at least one WT-race in March or Pais Vasco would be disappointing I can't see why he wouldnt race Catalunya + Pais Vasco.

Doubt Chavez will be back in Europe before April - Chaves should be on a different lead-up schedule to the Yates brothers.
yaco

Re: Re:

23 Feb 2017 19:05

movingtarget wrote:

It always depends on which Kreuziger turns up. Others like Howson could be just as important for Chaves.

Ain't that the truth? You need look no further than the Vuelta last year.
I feel like that moment is gonna get mentioned quite often...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

24 Feb 2017 16:30

RedheadDane wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

Ain't that the truth? You need look no further than the Vuelta last year.
I feel like that moment is gonna get mentioned quite often...

It's all about the podium at the TDF for Orica - Sponsors/Team Managers made the choice - Chaves preferred to ride the Giro and Yates preferred the TDF - Have no idea what the sports directors wanted.
yaco

24 Feb 2017 16:42

Was supposed to start in the ITT today, but for some odd and weird reason didn't show up. Waiting for an explanation.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

25 Feb 2017 21:26

DNP-Old wrote:Was supposed to start in the ITT today, but for some odd and weird reason didn't show up. Waiting for an explanation.

He's been ruled out of the Colombian championships with knee soreness.

http://www.greenedgecycling.com/news/chaves-disappointed-to-miss-colombian-championship

Off the bike for a week.
User avatar claude cat

16 Mar 2017 17:23

Wow!
I guess he is taking the training very seriously because he is not racing at all. He is the only one of the GT contenders that is not racing. He must be very confident of his program.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

16 Mar 2017 18:33

Escarabajo wrote:Wow!
I guess he is taking the training very seriously because he is not racing at all. He is the only one of the GT contenders that is not racing. He must be very confident of his program.

Froome hasn't raced either. And it's not like Chavito needs a lot of race days. Before the Giro last year he had only 16 race days. He finished 2nd. Between the Giro and Vuelta he had only one race day: the Olympics. He finished 3rd.

Dauphiné or Suisa and something like Romandia will probably be enough for him.
User avatar DNP-Old

16 Mar 2017 18:39

I don't quite understand why he doesn't race at all, these are important and prestigious races he is forgoing. Froome not doing them (well, he is doing Catalunya) is understandable since he has won the big thing. Maybe because of his little stint in Down Under, but maybe also because he knows he can't win TdF and wants to be fresh for La Vuelta, Chaves that is.
"This is the Tour that will determine whether I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

16 Mar 2017 18:43

No, he'll be going all out for the Tour. I think the Yates will be leading at the Vuelta and Chaves will go for stages. Chaves isn't ready to lead back-to-back GTs yet.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Re:

16 Mar 2017 18:46

jaylew wrote:No, he'll be going all out for the Tour. I think the Yates will be leading at the Vuelta and Chaves will go for stages. Chaves isn't ready to lead back-to-back GTs yet.

Either way, I think its disappointing. I reckon he would be able to do very well in Catalunya and Pais Vasco, do a mini peak in the spring like pretty much every TdF-rider apart from Froome and go back to train/recover in peace after Pais Vasco
"This is the Tour that will determine whether I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

16 Mar 2017 18:54

Valv.Piti wrote:
jaylew wrote:No, he'll be going all out for the Tour. I think the Yates will be leading at the Vuelta and Chaves will go for stages. Chaves isn't ready to lead back-to-back GTs yet.

Either way, I think its disappointing. I reckon he would be able to do very well in Catalunya and Pais Vasco, do a mini peak in the spring like pretty much every TdF-rider apart from Froome and go back to train/recover in peace after Pais Vasco

Yeah, I'd like to see him more as well as he's one of my favorites.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Re:

17 Mar 2017 15:13

Valv.Piti wrote:I don't quite understand why he doesn't race at all, these are important and prestigious races he is forgoing. Froome not doing them (well, he is doing Catalunya) is understandable since he has won the big thing. Maybe because of his little stint in Down Under, but maybe also because he knows he can't win TdF and wants to be fresh for La Vuelta, Chaves that is.

Main goals for 2017

Chavez TDF
A.Yates Giro
S.Yates Vuelta

Expect Chaves to land in Europe some time in April - Has done 12 race days so far in 2017 - Had a setback in late February and was off his bike for a week.
yaco

20 Mar 2017 12:20

Chaves is racing the Pais Vasco - So he is racing a WT race.
yaco

Re:

29 Mar 2017 16:17

yaco wrote:Chaves is racing the Pais Vasco - So he is racing a WT race.

He isn't starting.
User avatar DNP-Old

29 Mar 2017 17:07

Did he race this year?
portugal11

Re:

29 Mar 2017 17:24

portugal11 wrote:Did he race this year?

Only in Australia.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

29 Mar 2017 18:03

portugal11 wrote:Did he race this year?

12 race days this year.

He is supposed to race Pais Vasco, Fleche Wallone and LBL - Unless he is having a slower than normal recovery from injury or he has reinjured his knee.
yaco

29 Mar 2017 18:14

DNP-Old wrote:

He isn't starting.

What's the matter with him?
I'm starting to worry.
If the knee still bothers him, maybe he should ask around about some treatment certain footballers had here.
User avatar sir fly

29 Mar 2017 18:27

sir fly wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:

He isn't starting.

What's the matter with him?
I'm starting to worry.
If the knee still bothers him, maybe he should ask around about some treatment certain footballers had here.

Yes, it's the same knee.
User avatar DNP-Old

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing