Register

Esteban Chaves Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

14 Apr 2017 09:33

RedheadDane wrote:
dirkprovin wrote:The reference to the state of his legs is very sound evidence that his English language tutors have clearly been Antipodean !

What? Because he said "****"? Nothing's wrong with ****. It's a completely natural thing.

Is the Antipodean way of speaking really that bad?

I'm just wondering why we can't say such words in this forum. I find it completely unnecessary that they need to be converted into series of asterisks. Everybody knows what has been written anyway so I really don't see the point with such censorship.

Regarding Chaves: If he is back to training now, I really don't see why he shouldn't be at his top level at the Tour.
User avatar tobydawq

14 Apr 2017 12:40

42x16ss wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
dirkprovin wrote:The reference to the state of his legs is very sound evidence that his English language tutors have clearly been Antipodean !

What? Because he said "****"? Nothing's wrong with ****. It's a completely natural thing.

:D maybe...... :lol:

You're forgetting that he learned English from the likes of Matt White, Michael Hepburn, Mitch Docker and Sam Bewley!

Was absolutely zero criticism meant. As someone who basically learned English as a teenager in AUS, it was very much the case that the first words you master after your please, thank you & excuse me are the four letter ones !! :D
dirkprovin

14 Apr 2017 15:10

tobydawq wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:

I'm just wondering why we can't say such words in this forum. I find it completely unnecessary that they need to be converted into series of asterisks. Everybody knows what has been written anyway so I really don't see the point with such censorship.

Regarding Chaves: If he is back to training now, I really don't see why he shouldn't be at his top level at the Tour.

Hopefully, but he'll have a real lack of racing miles in his legs. That said, that sometimes works for him.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

14 Apr 2017 18:01

dirkprovin wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:

:D maybe...... :lol:

You're forgetting that he learned English from the likes of Matt White, Michael Hepburn, Mitch Docker and Sam Bewley!

Was absolutely zero criticism meant. As someone who basically learned English as a teenager in AUS, it was very much the case that the first words you master after your please, thank you & excuse me are the four letter ones !! :D

As Neil Stephens put it after the near F-bomb of the 2015 Vuelta: The people who teach him English are... us, so we're partly responsible.

But, hey! At least you learn those phrases before the four-letter words.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

11 May 2017 11:47

Anyone who knows whats up with Chaves?
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

11 May 2017 11:49

Floating like a butterfly and getting ready to sting like a bee, I guess.

Or not.
User avatar lenric

11 May 2017 11:51

He's currently training at home in Colombia and Howson & Bewley have just joined him a few days ago to spend a couple of weeks at altitude with him. He and Howson have posted a couple of snaps on their Twitter
dirkprovin

Re:

11 May 2017 11:57

dirkprovin wrote:He's currently training at home in Colombia and Howson & Bewley have just joined him a few days ago to spend a couple of weeks at altitude with him. He and Howson have posted a couple of snaps on their Twitter

So he's fine I assume and will race Dauphine, Suisse or something?..
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

11 May 2017 13:20

Chaves has proven in the past that he can race a little and still show in top form to a race. So hopefully it will be OK. The only problem with this type of training is the lack of depth for the third week of a GT. Like it happened last year. And don't tell me is because of illness because that is part of the equation as well.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

11 May 2017 15:34

Valv.Piti wrote:
dirkprovin wrote:He's currently training at home in Colombia and Howson & Bewley have just joined him a few days ago to spend a couple of weeks at altitude with him. He and Howson have posted a couple of snaps on their Twitter

So he's fine I assume and will race Dauphine, Suisse or something?..

Yes he's supposed to ride the Dauphine or Suisse - The TDF will be a training ride for the Vuelta.
yaco

Re:

11 May 2017 16:18

Escarabajo wrote:Chaves has proven in the past that he can race a little and still show in top form to a race. So hopefully it will be OK. The only problem with this type of training is the lack of depth for the third week of a GT. Like it happened last year. And don't tell me is because of illness because that is part of the equation as well.

He went into last year's Vuelta very "light-on" racing post Giro having only raced the Olympic RR. He started a little rusty but finished very strongly.

Methinks SY may be ORS's prime GC man at TDF but it will be interesting to see how Chaves progresses through the race.
dirkprovin

11 May 2017 17:35

dirkprovin wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:Chaves has proven in the past that he can race a little and still show in top form to a race. So hopefully it will be OK. The only problem with this type of training is the lack of depth for the third week of a GT. Like it happened last year. And don't tell me is because of illness because that is part of the equation as well.

He went into last year's Vuelta very "light-on" racing post Giro having only raced the Olympic RR. He started a little rusty but finished very strongly.

Methinks SY may be ORS's prime GC man at TDF but it will be interesting to see how Chaves progresses through the race.

Orica's key goal for the season is a podium at the TDF - This was always a chance in normal circumstances but now, it's up to S.Yates to achieve the target.
yaco

11 May 2017 17:50

yaco wrote:
dirkprovin wrote:

Orica's key goal for the season is a podium at the TDF - This was always a chance in normal circumstances but now, it's up to S.Yates to achieve the target.

He will not get it.
It's a shame. I guess I didn't realize Chaves's injury was that bad. I still thought he was their main man for the Tour. He would have had a chance at a podium.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

11 May 2017 18:08

Jspear wrote:
yaco wrote:
dirkprovin wrote:

He will not get it.
It's a shame. I guess I didn't realize Chaves's injury was that bad. I still thought he was their main man for the Tour. He would have had a chance at a podium.

I still think he is. Lets see.
User avatar Valv.Piti

11 May 2017 18:10

Valv.Piti wrote:I still think he is. Lets see.

So do I. He has never needed much racing to be in good condition.
User avatar tobydawq

11 May 2017 18:13

dirkprovin wrote:

That's true, but in the Giro he also came in pretty light (16 race days, no racing for over a month) and then faded quite badly in the last couple of days. I think his real time to shine might come in the Vuelta. If he takes the Tour fairly lightly (assuming he isn't in top shape by then), then he will be excellent at the Vuelta I think.
Brullnux

11 May 2017 18:16

tobydawq wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:I still think he is. Lets see.

So do I. He has never needed much racing to be in good condition.

I guarantee you there was much lots of behind the scenes wrangling to get S.Yates to switch from the Giro - It's worked fine for now with Yates winning a stage and finishing 2nd on GC at Romandie - Chaves will ultimately go into the TDF with 7 race days in the five months before the TDF and 19 race days for 2017.
yaco

01 Jun 2017 17:47

He's back.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

01 Jun 2017 20:39

DNP-Old wrote:He's back.

Yes indeed.. lets hope he can go !
User avatar dolophonic

06 Jun 2017 06:42

Surprised when I saw Chaves being interviewed by Daniel Friebe on ITV 4...he is so chubby in the face (for him)

Also seemed unsure about the Tour ....wants to ride it but not had much racing or indeed training with his knee problems
HelloDolly

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing