Register

Esteban Chaves Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

15 May 2018 17:36

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:We are all reminded this is a grand tour, a bad day can happen to anyone and no one is safe. This also goes for Yates and Dumoulin and Pinot. Anything can happen.

Nobody expected Froome to be so bad after his fall. Nobody expected Yates to be so good. Nobody expected Chaves to suddenly have an off day.
It's a GT guys.

"It's the beauty of the Giro"

~Esteban Chaves
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Re:

15 May 2018 17:42

hfer07 wrote:
SafeBet wrote:Chaves has done some decent TTs when in shape.
He was even better than Yates in the Vuelta 2016 TT and they both were riding for GC.

The tricky part here is that Yates is likely to be better positioned after the ITT in comparison the Chavito, But Chavito has proved to be a much better 3-week rider than Simon, so if the Team goes all in for Yates while sacrificing Chavito's chances, it could go either way....

I don't know if the team will play the "dual leader" card, which is always risky if both are too close to the GC - just remember the 2015 Giro with Astana forcing Landa to back off in order to allow Aru to get second, well knowing Landa was the better rider to Challenge Contador in all his right.....

I know everyone thinks this, but it just looks daft to me. It's like people forget Chaves is 2 and a half years older, and tends to be favoured by the team. Hardly surprising he's had slightly better results. At the age when Yates had 2 GT top 10s, Chaves had none, so seems pretty unreasonable to keep making a backward looking comparison and ignoring Yates is far more likely to still be getting better (and indeed, has looked better pretty consistently for 15 months now).
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

15 May 2018 17:51

When Chaves was as old as Yates is now, he was still fighting for his career after it had nearly abruptly ended in the Trofeo Laigueglia of 2013(!) and 9 out of 10 doctors failed him. But that doesn't fit your agenda me thinks. Or, who knows, maybe you just forgot to mention it.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

15 May 2018 17:57

DNP-Old wrote:When Chaves was as old as Yates is now, he was still fighting for his career after it had nearly abruptly ended in the Trofeo Laigueglia of 2013(!) and 9 out of 10 doctors failed him. But that doesn't fit your agenda me thinks. Or, who knows, maybe you just forgot to mention it.

It was a great come back up to 2016, but he hasn't shown any signs of taking the final tiny step in to the top tier since then. Not sure if it's because he looks younger than he is, or the general assumption that Colombians are climbing superstars, but I don't get the general assumption that Chaves is and always will be better than Orica's other GC men.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

15 May 2018 18:08

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:When Chaves was as old as Yates is now, he was still fighting for his career after it had nearly abruptly ended in the Trofeo Laigueglia of 2013(!) and 9 out of 10 doctors failed him. But that doesn't fit your agenda me thinks. Or, who knows, maybe you just forgot to mention it.

It was a great come back up to 2016, but he hasn't shown any signs of taking the final tiny step in to the top tier since then. Not sure if it's because he looks younger than he is, or the general assumption that Colombians are climbing superstars, but I don't get the general assumption that Chaves is and always will be better than Orica's other GC men.

I'll put it out there and say Haig will be the best of them all.
yaco

15 May 2018 18:12

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:

What chances has he had since? His whole 2017 season pretty much went up in flames due to a knee tendonitis.
User avatar DNP-Old

15 May 2018 18:12

The irony of having two leaders bit MS today - Have one leader and there is an extra three riders who drop back to bring Chaves back to the peleton -
Especially, seeing they got back to about a minute - Anyway Chaves will need to find out why he's had a bad day if he wants to continue being a leader at GT's.
yaco

Re:

15 May 2018 18:17

yaco wrote:The irony of having two leaders bit MS today - Have one leader and there is an extra three riders who drop back to bring Chaves back to the peleton -
Especially, seeing they got back to about a minute - Anyway Chaves will need to find out why he's had a bad day if he wants to continue being a leader at GT's.

This!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

15 May 2018 18:22

Like I said, before the Giro I've never seen him with such a bloated face:
So it wouldn't surprise me if allergies (or something like that) were already bothering him a bit before that and that the combination of that + sore throat was actually too much for him.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

15 May 2018 18:26

It's not a case of the bloat face that Santambrogio suffered?
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

15 May 2018 18:36

Cycling is sometimes such a cruel sport.
I really feel for Chaves. One of the strongest 2 days ago.
Today had nothing.
Hope he comes back to the Vuelta and wins it.
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

Re: Esteban Chaves Discussion Thread

15 May 2018 18:59

damn it!! that swollen face ain't normal one bit :mad:

....at first glance I thought it was a picture of Carlos Betancur :D :D
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

Re:

15 May 2018 19:16

Netserk wrote:It's not a case of the bloat face that Santambrogio suffered?

Honestly, that was also one of the first things that crossed my mind,there are a few other guys who also have Santa cheeks, but he never had them before when he was at his best, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually just allergies.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

15 May 2018 19:34

Often times I've seen riders have bad days with no warning or prior indication of illness only to fall sick that following night and wake up ill that next morning. Also, as has already been mentioned, is the after-the-rest-day-blues. That is a fairly common occurrence. Maybe he actually rested with little time spent on his bike keeping his legs loose. He's young yet and will have many opportunities in the future. I hope he's riding the Vuelta.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

15 May 2018 20:01

A two-minute toilet break is less devastating and much funnier
ice&fire

15 May 2018 20:30

User avatar Popchu

Re:

15 May 2018 21:16

Popchu wrote:https://twitter.com/SenalDeportes/status/996413628512374785

What is Betancur saying about Chaves?

They saw that he was suffering and that they pulled to eliminate him. Esteban gave them a chance to do so and they made him pay, thus why it was such a demanding stage.
User avatar DNP-Old

15 May 2018 22:38

Chaves loss of time reminded me of the TdF stage back in 2009 (Stage 17) when Cadel Evans lost 29 minutes (he was already about 5 min down) to the Schleck's and Contador for no apparent reason (I suspect his brain had told him on the rest day that 2009 was not his to win and he maybe just gave up). Who knows, Chaves might just bounce back at Innsbruck in September.
Yingge

16 May 2018 04:20

Reckon for some reason he just had bad legs at the start - Usually when a rider is ill they get dropped uphill or when the pace increases - After the first climb he was fine.
yaco

Re:

16 May 2018 04:41

yaco wrote:Reckon for some reason he just had bad legs at the start - Usually when a rider is ill they get dropped uphill or when the pace increases - After the first climb he was fine.

Yup, most likely just this. Unfortunate for Chaves.
Salvarani

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing