Register

Esteban Chaves Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

16 May 2018 05:53

Yingge wrote:Chaves loss of time reminded me of the TdF stage back in 2009 (Stage 17) when Cadel Evans lost 29 minutes (he was already about 5 min down) to the Schleck's and Contador for no apparent reason (I suspect his brain had told him on the rest day that 2009 was not his to win and he maybe just gave up). Who knows, Chaves might just bounce back at Innsbruck in September.

I thought he crashed
Scarponi

Re: Re:

16 May 2018 09:52

Scarponi wrote:
Yingge wrote:Chaves loss of time reminded me of the TdF stage back in 2009 (Stage 17) when Cadel Evans lost 29 minutes (he was already about 5 min down) to the Schleck's and Contador for no apparent reason (I suspect his brain had told him on the rest day that 2009 was not his to win and he maybe just gave up). Who knows, Chaves might just bounce back at Innsbruck in September.

I thought he crashed

Evans crashed in TdF 2008 and 2010. In 2009 TdF word is he just had bad form. But I don't think anyone could say Chaves had bad form this Giro with what we saw before stage 10.
Cookster15

16 May 2018 10:13

I remember when Gesink was still a GC rider (seems like eons ago), he also had difficulty when they started the stage straight with a big climb. He'd do specific preperation on the rollers before the stage to avoid getting dropped like a stone. JvdB also had such a problem.
But those guys were both diesels.

Chaves is explosive, so maybe he just had some sort of post restday syndrome
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re: Re:

16 May 2018 10:39

Cookster15 wrote:
Scarponi wrote:

I thought he crashed

Evans crashed in TdF 2008 and 2010. In 2009 TdF word is he just had bad form. But I don't think anyone could say Chaves had bad form this Giro with what we saw before stage 10.

Sounds like hay fever didn't help. Rest day syndrome probably contributed. It always gets one of the GC riders at least.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 12:51

Mayomaniac wrote:Like I said, before the Giro I've never seen him with such a bloated face:
So it wouldn't surprise me if allergies (or something like that) were already bothering him a bit before that and that the combination of that + sore throat was actually too much for him.

That really looks bloated face. Last year I noticed something during the Tour de France and I thought he was over weight and someone in this forum got very upset at me. But probably he is having some serious issues with allergies. It should not have been a factor during the Tour because it was the middle of the summer but you never know.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

18 May 2018 16:46

Last in the stage. He looks sick. Maybe time to retire. I don't see how He can be of any help like this to Yates.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

18 May 2018 17:07

At first I thought he was saving power for Zonc the previous stages (after the blow), but now I think something is clearly wrong here.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

18 May 2018 17:43

There is a silver lining in every cloud - Makes it more likely that MS could retain Yates x 2 with Chaves' issues - You can't have him as a GC leader after his erratic form in the last 12 months
yaco

Re:

18 May 2018 23:11

yaco wrote:There is a silver lining in every cloud - Makes it more likely that MS could retain Yates x 2 with Chaves' issues - You can't have him as a GC leader after his erratic form in the last 12 months

Maybe another go at the Vuelta, If he is sick there is not much that can be done.
movingtarget
Veteran

Previous

Return to Professional road racing