Register

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

17 May 2015 15:17

How many grand tours will he win? he might be the strongest in this giro.

I think he might be the next Froome.
User avatar the sceptic
Veteran

17 May 2015 15:19

He will win this Giro with + 2 minutes.
User avatar Arredondo
Veteran

17 May 2015 15:22

TT?
TheGreenMonkey

17 May 2015 15:23

Porte, Contador and Aru can just about hang on whilst the climbing is still short and easy and he does all the work on the front. Once we hit the real mountains, Landa is going to show everyone.
User avatar SeriousSam

17 May 2015 15:27

He has a supertalent to climb, but he is not strong in the flat, so it is difficult that way to win a grand Tour. He could do it, but if there is a different situaction playing to his favour.. I said here before Giro started that Landa will be the best climber some days, but he is a totally diferent rider than Froome.

I dont know if he can improve in ITT or in general but is nice just like this.

Otrer thing to have into consideration is that Astana is here not to win the Giro, but to win the Giro with Aru, the same as Saxo is here to win the Giro with Contador, not with other rider.
User avatar Taxus4a

17 May 2015 15:43

New Roberto Heras?
phil-i-am

17 May 2015 16:05

He could easily lose 4 minutes in the ITT.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

17 May 2015 16:06

My best CQ pick ever.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

17 May 2015 16:07

SeriousSam wrote:Porte, Contador and Aru can just about hang on whilst the climbing is still short and easy and he does all the work on the front. Once we hit the real mountains, Landa is going to show everyone.

I think he is going to fade in the last week and he will also lose a lot of time in the TT. Astana should send him out on a long range attack before the TT to put pressure on Tinkoff-Saxo/Contador.
User avatar Metabolol

17 May 2015 16:13

0 :D
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

17 May 2015 16:16

Man, calling Landa a Froome is a no... Always know he's a good climber, to me he's always the biggest climbing potential in Euskaltel last years despite all the Izagirres-will-podium-GTs hype, but he grows so steadily slow, and I believe he will never be a good TT-ist ever, so nothing's Froomey. Yes he looks a bit too strong so far in this Giro, but at least let's wait until the real mountains
User avatar gunara

Re:

17 May 2015 16:17

phil-i-am wrote:New Roberto Heras?

No not possible. The world will never see a climber like Heras ;)
As for the question, none. Why the new trend of starting an individual thread each time a semi-known rider lands a good performance?
Last edited by Cance > TheRest on 17 May 2015 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

Re:

gunara wrote:Man, calling Landa a Froome is a no... Always know he's a good climber, to me he's always the biggest climbing potential in Euskaltel last years despite all the Izagirres-will-podium-GTs hype, but he grows so steadily slow, and I believe he will never be a good TT-ist ever, so nothing's Froomey. Yes he looks a bit too strong so far in this Giro, but at least let's wait until the real mountains

Who the hell was saying the Izagirres would podium GTs? Ion was always the most rounded young talent to come out of the Euskaltel auction and, to me, the star attraction in the lot, but Landa was always going to be the top young climber. He just isn't all-round enough.

He sure isn't a Froome. Lagunas de Neila proves that.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

Re: Mikel Landa

the sceptic wrote:How many grand tours will he win?

I think he might be the next Froome.

He was free on Campitello Matese and didn't gain that much, while the big three at some point even waited for all the others. So I'd say no.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

Re: Re:

17 May 2015 16:39

Libertine Seguros wrote:
gunara wrote:Man, calling Landa a Froome is a no... Always know he's a good climber, to me he's always the biggest climbing potential in Euskaltel last years despite all the Izagirres-will-podium-GTs hype, but he grows so steadily slow, and I believe he will never be a good TT-ist ever, so nothing's Froomey. Yes he looks a bit too strong so far in this Giro, but at least let's wait until the real mountains

Who the hell was saying the Izagirres would podium GTs? Ion was always the most rounded young talent to come out of the Euskaltel auction and, to me, the star attraction in the lot, but Landa was always going to be the top young climber. He just isn't all-round enough.

He sure isn't a Froome. Lagunas de Neila proves that.

Some people said that, Libertine, and I didn't specifically say in this forum. But I remember once hearing people speaking about Ion, and also Gorka, as the next gc men. I agree Ion is the bigger star than Landa, then and now, I just tried to say that nothing is too shocking about Landa climbed that well, unlike when Froome did.
User avatar gunara

Re:

17 May 2015 16:53

SafeBet wrote:He could easily lose 4 minutes in the ITT.

Normaly more, but it in so good shape and motivation that maybe just 4 with the best.
User avatar Taxus4a

17 May 2015 17:00

Astana should of send him up the road today, to try to gain maglia rosa and put some pressure on Contador/Porte. But Aru is apparently afraid of Uran's ITT and he used Landa to gain time on him
User avatar Mr.White

17 May 2015 17:08

Cance > TheRest wrote:

As for the question, none. Why the new trend of starting an individual thread each time a semi-known rider lands a good performance?

Of course Landa has much more natural talent to climb that Heras or Mayo.
He is not good for Tours except Trentino, Cataluña, without ITT.
amyway I was surprised about he didnt losed time in the TTT, I think he didnt push, he was protected, but he could hold the pace in a good performance by his team.
User avatar Taxus4a

Re:

17 May 2015 17:17

You can count the number of times in his first 4 years as a pro when he performed well against top level opposition in high mountains on 1 hand.

His "steady slow" growth resulted in him being the only one capable of following the 3 best riders so far after 1 season with Astana.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

17 May 2015 17:19

Taxus4a wrote:
Cance > TheRest wrote:

Of course Landa has much more natural talent to climb that Heras or Mayo.
He is not good for Tours except Trentino, Cataluña, without ITT.
amyway I was surprised about he didnt losed time in the TTT, I think he didnt push, he was protected, but he could hold the pace in a good performance by his team.

Much more talent than Heras?! You're going too far my friend ;)
User avatar Mr.White

Next

Return to Professional road racing