Register

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

14 May 2017 17:44

BigMac wrote:
It certainly wasn't (just) about Thomas or Landa being contenders, but the motorbikes influencing race results, whatever they might be. And you didn't know for sure they were not gonna be up there.

Agreed, for the record I don't think Thomas or Landa would beat Quintana in this Giro anyway, but they could have been fighting for the podium. Plus they surely deserved better than what happened today thanks to someone's incompetence.
User avatar Pricey_sky

14 May 2017 17:48

Only bad thing today was what happened to Mikel Landa, your typical Basque climber, always opportunistic and looking for opportunities to attack. Great loss for the race. His performance today was what was the most exciting to me going into Blockhaus, I think he could have stayed with Quintana. Then again Im probably just a fanboy. Well, maybe he couldn't, but I think he would have been great.

Pity, such a shame. Hopefully he will change team (not that Sky has done anything wrong this Giro or are to blame).
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

14 May 2017 17:51

Valv.Piti wrote:Only bad thing today was what happened to Mikel Landa, your typical Basque climber, always opportunistic and looking for opportunities to attack. Great loss for the race. His performance today was what was the most exciting to me going into Blockhaus, I think he could have stayed with Quintana. Then again Im probably just a fanboy. Well, maybe he couldn't, but I think he would have been great.

Pity, such a shame. Hopefully he will change team (not that Sky has done anything wrong this Giro or are to blame).

Yeah the 2 times Landa was expected to perform at last year's and this year's Giro he failed due to external circumstances. I wouldn't go as far as saying he doesn't fit in with the team.
therealthing

14 May 2017 17:58

Nope, I would just prefer him to ride where he is the undisputed leader in GTs.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re: Re:

14 May 2017 17:59

therealthing wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Only bad thing today was what happened to Mikel Landa, your typical Basque climber, always opportunistic and looking for opportunities to attack. Great loss for the race. His performance today was what was the most exciting to me going into Blockhaus, I think he could have stayed with Quintana. Then again Im probably just a fanboy. Well, maybe he couldn't, but I think he would have been great.

Yeah the 2 times Landa was expected to perform at last year's and this year's Giro he failed due to external circumstances. I wouldn't go as far as saying he doesn't fit in with the team.

Hopefully Landa isn't too badly injured, can recover and give it a crack on the remaining mountain stages.
bigcog

14 May 2017 18:02

so sad. i really though we could have seen the landa from giro 2015...
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

Re: Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

15 May 2017 07:17

His left leg looks very swollen last night. Hopefully, if he can just keep riding through it and fully recover by the third rest day and save as much energy as possible, we might yet see his true form in this Giro in the last week?
samhocking

15 May 2017 10:58

If he wants to hunt down the blue jersey now instead, he needs to give it a go on Wednesday already. That might be a bit too early I fear.
User avatar staubsauger

15 May 2017 13:17

Terrible, just terrible.
I fear he'll abandon :(
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

15 May 2017 13:34

Leave, get healthy, win the TdS and then inflict pain on Froome's enemies and grab some stages while he's at it.
MatParker117

Re:

15 May 2017 13:52

MatParker117 wrote:Leave, get healthy, win the TdS and then inflict pain on Froome's enemies and grab some stages while he's at it.

This. I dislike Sky and Landa actually, but I was looking forward to seeing a proper field of climbers battle it out. Now due to outside factors it feels like we've been a bit robbed. I'd rather him recover and heal for TDF or Vuelta and make some of the races then when he's 100%.
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

15 May 2017 15:08

Wondering if Landa has a corked leg - If so doubtful he can continue.
yaco

Re:

15 May 2017 15:35

yaco wrote:Wondering if Landa has a corked leg - If so doubtful he can continue.

The problem is it takes a few days to figure that out and if he overuses in the meantime he risks ossificans. That's assuming it's simply that level of contusion.
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

15 May 2017 18:28

I'm very disappointed about him being robbed of the opportunity to show that he has the level he indicated in 2015. Or even to show that he doesn't.

He has so far proven to be one of Sky's worst investments. They paid for a guy who would seriously contend at the Giro, be the dominant climbing domestique at the Tour and win various other races. All they've got for their money so far is a Giro warm up race in 2016 and the climbing performances of a random Sky climbing helper. It's not all his fault. He has been unlucky. But it has been partly his fault and it's hard to see him staying at Sky. They've no reason to offer him a new contract unless it's on very much reduced terms, while he will know that there will be at least a couple of teams out there willing to take the chance of offering him guaranteed leadership and a commensurate salary again. His is still young after all.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

15 May 2017 18:56

It's very easy for me to see Landa go back to Astana. Unless Astana are in serious money trouble. But then I thought they'd go for Contador and I never heard anything like it.

Many other teams could be interested as well. Landa shouldn't be very expensive for what can do if he gets it right, he doesn't need to go for the Tour, and he's better than every single secondary GT leader on any team. Only problematic teams would be Sky, Movistar, TLJ, Bahrein and Orica.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

15 May 2017 19:42

Red Rick wrote:It's very easy for me to see Landa go back to Astana. Unless Astana are in serious money trouble. But then I thought they'd go for Contador and I never heard anything like it.

Many other teams could be interested as well. Landa shouldn't be very expensive for what can do if he gets it right, he doesn't need to go for the Tour, and he's better than every single secondary GT leader on any team. Only problematic teams would be Sky, Movistar, TLJ, Bahrein and Orica.

If he's cheap enough every team would be happy to have him. But, assuming no big reversal of fortune in the second half of this season, the number of teams prepared to hire him for 2018 on the basis of form shown only in 2015, with money and status reflecting that long past form, is likely to be considerably smaller.

As for whether he's better than "every single secondary GT leader" on any team bar five, that too largely depends on whether we assume that 2015 is his usual level. The closer a rider is to high level performances the more he can demand pay and status based on those performances. The further he gets from them, the less relevant they are in assessing his level. Nobody is going to pay Carlos Betancur a Paris -Nice winning Ardennes contender's wage, nor are they going to hire Thomas de Gendt on the basis that he can podium the Giro.

I would assume that Landa thinks he is still worth the big bucks and that he should be the absolute leader for the Giro (or Tour), so his choices will be more limited than the number of teams he would improve (i.e. All of them)
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

15 May 2017 19:48

Landa's value is lower than in 2015 obviously.
I don't know about Astana, since they already have Aru and with Lopez, I doubt they'd be willing to hire another guy for GC.
I dunno, but if I had to put my money on some WT team, I'd say BMC*

*if we forget the fact that BMC GC riders tend to be all-rounders, instead of pure climbers
User avatar lenric

Re:

15 May 2017 20:04

lenric wrote:Landa's value is lower than in 2015 obviously.
I don't know about Astana, since they already have Aru and with Lopez, I doubt they'd be willing to hire another guy for GC.
I dunno, but if I had to put my money on some WT team, I'd say BMC*

*if we forget the fact that BMC GC riders tend to be all-rounders, instead of pure climbers

The Astana rumour seems premised on another rumour, that Aru will leave, turning out to be true. If Aru stays, it seems unlikely that they would add Landa.

The list of relatively high budget teams with a GC focus that doesn't have their leadership roles allotted isn't all that long. BMC are definitely one. Astana, if Aru leaves. Trek, if Contador leaves. Katusha perhaps. Or Bahrain. Most WT teams aren't really in the market for a well paid second GT leader. They don't have the money (Cannondale) or have other priorities (QS, Bora) or have someone better (Movistar).
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

15 May 2017 20:06

Aru can leave Astana? I didn't know, it kinda surprises me.
But if he's set to leave, I can see him going either to Trek (since Contador may aim the Giro in 2018), or to Bahrain, to be the team leader in 2019.
User avatar lenric

16 May 2017 07:43

https://www.teamsky.com/article/thomas-and-landa-to-fight-on
"to fight on"? Landa should be recovering at home.
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
User avatar Robert5091

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing