Register

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

30 Dec 2017 08:36

chiocciolis_calves wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:As for finishing high as a team mate we have seen several examples of that in recent years

Kreuziger was 5th (and could have been higher) at the 2013 Tour while burying himself for Contador
Tejay was 4th at the 2012 Tour while working for Cadel Evans
Valverde 3rd riding for Quntana at 2015 Tour
Frank Schleck 3rd riding for Andy at 2011 Tour

Being on or near the podium while riding for another is nothig new but it certainly does not herald a GT winner
Afterall you are unmarked and do not carry the responsibility of leadership.. you can attack at times without being chased or gains seconds ..high places are common in these circumstances if a rider is in top form

At no point did any of those four riders you cite look like the strongest rider in the race. Landa did, particularly by the third week. Review the footage if you doubt me.

We have precious few examples of stronger support riders ignoring team orders and winning GTs (Roche, perhaps Cunego and Aitor Gonzalez) over the past 30 years. It's risky, even if you're headed away from the team after the season is over. If Landa had done that, he'd have been savaged. Pillaged if you do, pillaged if you don't.

He looked stronger in the second week.
User avatar Alexandre B.

30 Dec 2017 11:32

People say he is going to lose a lot of time on the cobbles but I wouldn't be surprise if he tried with some hazardous attacks on that stage despite being a pure climber.

He is one of the few riders who is crazy enough to do so.
Velolover2

30 Dec 2017 21:08

movingtarget wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:
movingtarget wrote:Porte needs a change of luck. His form going into the Tour was good but he always seems to find trouble of some sort and time is running out for him. Landa just has to get on with it. After his Giro podium which seems like many years ago now he needs to show that he is capable of putting it together over three weeks after riding in the service of others in recent times.

Valverde saying they can all ride for themselves is all well and good but what if someone needs to chase Porte or Uran or Bardet ??

There has to be some kind of hierarchy ...plus Valverde doesnt care as it lets him off the hook and he has his Tour podium and he knows he will not better that ...Its Quintana who is going to have the issue with the free for all and the no chasing Landa

Valverde's podium days are over. The last thing Quintana will want is a split team especially with the difficult first week. I think Valverde will mainly concentrate on the classics now and the shorter stage races.

There is a hierarachy, Valverde is that team's leader regardless of who they are racing for. When it comes right down to they look to him for direction and instructions. Quintana can have all the issues he wants, but as long as Valverde is there that is who the team will look to for leadership.
At the Tour most likely, however, you're going to have fun trying to convince him he can't podium at la Vuelta which is the one he wants as he wants history there. Truthfully, I think the reason they are sending Valverde to the Tour is to basically play referee between Quintana and Landa and when the war breaks out between those two for him to keep the rest of the team from imploding. Landa has recently said that he and Valverde get along well and are good friends. He and Quintana don't really get along very well.
User avatar Koronin

30 Jan 2018 14:36

How is Landa calender looking like this season?
Salvarani

Re:

30 Jan 2018 14:56

Salvarani wrote:How is Landa calender looking like this season?

Andalucia
Paris-Nice
Pais Vasco
Suisse or Dauphine
Tour
San Seb
Burgos?
Vuelta
Worlds
Lombardia
Velolover2

30 Jan 2018 17:21

Would be suicide to race Burgos after the Tour when he the Vuelta and especially WC also are important goals for him/Movistar. But a very light schedule ahead of the Tour is the right thing to do when you also have Valverde and Quintana in the cards who always are great in the spring.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

30 Jan 2018 17:28

Velolover2 wrote:

Andalucia
Paris-Nice
Pais Vasco
Suisse or Dauphine
Tour
San Seb
Burgos?
Vuelta
Worlds
Lombardia

Nice.
Salvarani

30 Jan 2018 22:11

Velolover2 wrote:

Andalucia
Paris-Nice
Pais Vasco
Suisse or Dauphine
Tour
San Seb
Burgos?
Vuelta
Worlds
Lombardia

You have confirmation for Paris-Nice?
User avatar liamito

Re: Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

13 Feb 2018 09:35

What can we hope for in Ruta del Sol? Top 5 and maybe light the race on fire on stage 2 ?
User avatar Serpentin

13 Feb 2018 11:54

Landa seems up for it at Ruta Del Sol.

Very interesting to see that he will target a few of the classic races. Probably rules out Giro for sure.
Salvarani

13 Feb 2018 14:15

liamito wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:

Andalucia
Paris-Nice
Pais Vasco
Suisse or Dauphine
Tour
San Seb
Burgos?
Vuelta
Worlds
Lombardia

You have confirmation for Paris-Nice?

He'll ride Tirreno.
Nirvana

13 Feb 2018 17:02

I doubt Landa is in shape right now. Don't expect him to win Andalucia. I don't even think he will reach a top 10.

"I think I should be in good condition in Tirreno already, but my main goal is reaching my best form in País Vasco and the Ardennes."
WheelofGear

Re:

13 Feb 2018 20:57

WheelofGear wrote:I doubt Landa is in shape right now. Don't expect him to win Andalucia. I don't even think he will reach a top 10.

"I think I should be in good condition in Tirreno already, but my main goal is reaching my best form in País Vasco and the Ardennes."

Even if his shape is not 100%, it is not like he is starting from scratch. He been a cyclist for years and pretty sure he had a pre-season to train hard. What I mean is Im sure even when he hasnt raced for awhile he still has a solid base-level to stand on. Maybe we shouldnt expect fireworks but Im pretty sure he will be up there in the GC.

Not reaching a top 10 would be wild lol
Salvarani

13 Feb 2018 21:55

Not really sure how he expects to be targeting classics races when the best hilly classics rider in the peloton happens to his team leader.
User avatar Koronin

13 Feb 2018 21:56

Landani will attack like Vino :cool:
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

14 Feb 2018 00:09

Koronin wrote:Not really sure how he expects to be targeting classics races when the best hilly classics rider in the peloton happens to his team leader.

well, Landani doesn't care much about the leaders.
repre

14 Feb 2018 00:16

repre wrote:
Koronin wrote:Not really sure how he expects to be targeting classics races when the best hilly classics rider in the peloton happens to his team leader.

True, although he apparently did say wanting to go to the Ardennes to learn from the master. Of course he should also know he can't beat Valverde is a sprint. Esp since we've all learned that the injury didn't hurt Valverde's sprinting ability.
User avatar Koronin

14 Feb 2018 08:39

Landa could be an excellent number 2 on Movistar in the Ardennes, they have missed such a rider since forever honestly. Still, Valverde hasn't really needed it, but it could take some pressure off of him in a selective Liege where I could imagine Landa being one of the absolute best. The role they envisioned for Moreno when he joined the team and hoped Betancur could take.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

14 Feb 2018 09:02

Koronin wrote:
repre wrote:

True, although he apparently did say wanting to go to the Ardennes to learn from the master. Of course he should also know he can't beat Valverde is a sprint. Esp since we've all learned that the injury didn't hurt Valverde's sprinting ability.

He won't be riding against Valverde, he'll ride with him and for him. He can be very usefull, for example to put the pressure off Valverde late in the race by attacking, or to rip the field on RaF or St.Nicholas, or to pull on the front. In the process he will learn thing or two about these races, so he could be a serious contender in future years.
As for sprinting against Valverde, or riding against him generally, I don't think he would be that dumb. Valverde is Movistar, and if you're against him you're doomed in that team. I'm not saying he couldn't end up winning, but the only scenario is that Valverde allows his attack and others can't reach him. Anything else would be really foolish by Landa.
User avatar Blanco

14 Feb 2018 09:48

Blanco wrote:
Koronin wrote:
repre wrote:

He won't be riding against Valverde, he'll ride with him and for him. He can be very usefull, for example to put the pressure off Valverde late in the race by attacking, or to rip the field on RaF or St.Nicholas, or to pull on the front. In the process he will learn thing or two about these races, so he could be a serious contender in future years.
As for sprinting against Valverde, or riding against him generally, I don't think he would be that dumb. Valverde is Movistar, and if you're against him you're doomed in that team. I'm not saying he couldn't end up winning, but the only scenario is that Valverde allows his attack and others can't reach him. Anything else would be really foolish by Landa.

but foolish is the middle name of landa
portugal11

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing