Register

Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

07 Apr 2018 16:05

Slightly hampered by Quintana's participation in the race, but overall fantastic performance by Landa in this years Pais Vasco.

In general a very encouraging spring progression, 6th in Andalucía, 6th in Tirreno and 2nd in Pais Vasco.

And always that very special sensation that as stages go on, he just keeps getting stronger.
User avatar KyoGrey

07 Apr 2018 16:07

If only he'd had 6 teammates.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re: Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

07 Apr 2018 16:24

He might have been able to win had he gone all in early. But it's understandable he didn't especially as the stage win seemed to be up for grabs.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re: Mikel Landa Discussion Thread

07 Apr 2018 16:26

Gigs_98 wrote:He might have been able to win had he gone all in early. But it's understandable he didn't especially as the stage win seemed to be up for grabs.

Yeah. That's not understandable
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

07 Apr 2018 16:27

Netserk wrote:If only he'd had 6 teammates.

Landa dropping Quintana though :D
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

07 Apr 2018 16:51

KyoGrey wrote:Slightly hampered by Quintana's participation in the race, but overall fantastic performance by Landa in this years Pais Vasco.

In general a very encouraging spring progression, 6th in Andalucía, 6th in Tirreno and 2nd in Pais Vasco.

And always that very special sensation that as stages go on, he just keeps getting stronger.

I wouldn't call it fantastic, but generally good performance. Roglic had way too big head start because of that ITT, and Landa's bad day on stage 1. What was lacking is stage win, with a stage I would call his performance very good. Only one who had a phenomenal performance in this year's Pais Vasco is Primoz Roglic by the way...
User avatar Blanco

07 Apr 2018 16:58

He had a good performance. No stage win and no overall win so not fantastic. Quickstep as a team had a fantastic race as they were apparently only going after stages.
User avatar Koronin

07 Apr 2018 17:27

Wasn't Landa supposed to win this race? As in primary objective in the first part of the season? Good performance but anything else than winning with the team he had at his disposal is not quite fantastic.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re:

07 Apr 2018 17:30

Rollthedice wrote:Wasn't Landa supposed to win this race? As in primary objective in the first part of the season? Good performance but anything else than winning with the team he had at his disposal is not quite fantastic.

Landa was clearly strong, but so was Roglic (more so) - and the flat TT helped him a lot. Add to that the fact that Landa has rarely in the past been team leader and still doesn't know how to use his team very well. Tactics wise he's not the greatest yet.
Brullnux
Veteran

Re:

07 Apr 2018 17:44

Rollthedice wrote:Wasn't Landa supposed to win this race? As in primary objective in the first part of the season? Good performance but anything else than winning with the team he had at his disposal is not quite fantastic.

Yes this was his main objective for the Spring. I think he may be headed to the Ardennes in support of Valverde. However he was supposed to win this one as it's his home race. He doesn't have a lot of races where he's been the leader so he's still learning. He definitely doesn't understand tactics very well, however, not sure sending Quintana to help him was of much actual help either since Quintana also seems to have a lack of understanding race tactics. Truthfully of Movistar's younger riders Soler seems to have a bit better understanding of race tactics with not having been a race leader for very many races either.
User avatar Koronin

07 Apr 2018 18:03

Not winning this was more a testament of how strong Roglic was. The parcours fit him better than Landa. Landa looked OK IMO. Hes is not the best of TT's anyway.

I would not blame the team for not winning. This is just a 1 week race. Not the Tour.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

08 Apr 2018 00:55

So the climbing /wining sensation that is Landa lives on....jeez you guys give us a break

If Landa is such a phenomonal climber and in such a team a as Movistar why didnt he win the Tour of the Basque Country

I was very disappointed by Landa and Quintana today ....they atatcked too late and couldnt even drop the Bora riders earlier on

Climbing sensation my posterior

But I guess the hype live son on here
HelloDolly

Re:

08 Apr 2018 03:34

HelloDolly wrote:So the climbing /wining sensation that is Landa lives on....jeez you guys give us a break

If Landa is such a phenomonal climber and in such a team a as Movistar why didnt he win the Tour of the Basque Country

I was very disappointed by Landa and Quintana today ....they atatcked too late and couldnt even drop the Bora riders earlier on

Climbing sensation my posterior

But I guess the hype live son on here

Simple, Landa needs more experience as a race leader. For this reason he hasn't had many opportunities to learn to read a race or understand race tactics.

As for why didn't Landa win, he's a poor time trialist as is Quintana. Actually Landa is or should be a bit more of an all rounder than what Quintana is. Quintana is a pure climber.
User avatar Koronin

08 Apr 2018 08:32

Wow, thats some negativity going on there. Landa is hyped because he is a fun rider that many of us likes and admittedly, he gets hyped too much sometimes - but lets not forget that its now the second race in a row where he has been the strongest climber on proper climbs, longer efforts, which is pretty uncommon for him so early on. Thats good signs. And we all know that if he hits that peak shape at the perfect time, like he did in the Giro in 2015 and partly during 2017, he is extremely hard to handle in proper mountain stages in GTs
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

08 Apr 2018 08:35

KyoGrey wrote:Slightly hampered by Quintana's participation in the race, but overall fantastic performance by Landa in this years Pais Vasco.

Yeah, I also like the consistency so far without(?) even being in top shape yet. He has looked far more impressive than other GC-riders.
Salvarani

20 May 2018 08:12

Any news on Landas program before the tour ? My body is ready for some real Landa-hype again. :cool: July is going to epic! All the movistar drama and the #Freelanda hashtags all over social media.
User avatar Serpentin

20 May 2018 09:16

Suisse. Just like Nairo and Piti.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

20 May 2018 18:49

Serpentin wrote:Any news on Landas program before the tour ? My body is ready for some real Landa-hype again. :cool: July is going to epic! All the movistar drama and the #Freelanda hashtags all over social media.

His next race is Suisse, along with Quintana and Valverde. Still not entirely sure that's the smartest thing to do, but I also don't run that team.
User avatar Koronin

20 May 2018 20:20

I haven't looked at the tour route yet. How many proper mountain stages are there for Movistar to take on the better tters?
Vino attacks everyone
Veteran

20 May 2018 20:42

Here's a stage by stage annalist of the route:
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/tour-de-france-route-192041

two time trials, first a TTT, 2nd an ITT, plus the cobbled stage.

Here's a profile for the entire race:
https://www.cyclingstage.com/tour-de-france-2018-route/
User avatar Koronin

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing