Register

Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

11 Feb 2018 14:28

Tibopino just completed the 59km cross country skiing race "La Transjurassienne", 50th in 2h42'. Bravo Tibo!

SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

11 Feb 2018 14:40

I didn't know he was spelled with a d.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

11 Feb 2018 15:23

Wary about the fact, that he is to do the Giro-Tour double again. Skipping the Tour would have been better imo, but you can't have it all. Hoping for a Giro podium and some victories in the late Italian autumn races, which I have fallen in love with!
User avatar Simurgh

12 Feb 2018 10:50

He's mainly doing the Tour for pr reasons to please the teams sponsors. He might try to win a stage, but furthermore Giro d'Italia & the Italian fall classics should be the his main season goals.
User avatar staubsauger

13 Feb 2018 04:11

Let's party like it's 1987 lads! And the Pinot is Irish ;) .

"17 was Thibaut back on the GT map, in a very convincing fashion, '18 is the crossroad: as his #1 fanboy here, I get to set the expectations :p .

Three preparation stage races: an early win as a bonus, Trentino (I can't call this TdA) is the first true test. Win or like last year, second and a stage. Build up.

No ifs, no buts, podium at Il Giro. In the predictions thread, I have Tibopino second: I don't want to jinx him. But...

Tour: I hate this, hated it last year. More recup, still...very scary proposition. Week one will be a lottery and luck is fickle: good in '14, bad in '15...I'm happy with a stage, dreaming of a polka-dot in Paris, maybe more.

RRWC: small group for a sprint: Valverde. Pinot to medal?

Late season: one win.

We'll see...
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

22 Mar 2018 00:19

Interesting to read my last on this thread. The GFDJ site states that there wasn't a designated leader in this race, and Thibaut has a maverick role today. In the end, he looked good and easy on the bike, for a fifth day of racing, not bad at all.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

23 Mar 2018 16:11

Softpedaled himself out of the top-10 GC today? (didn't catch the stage)
User avatar Simurgh

23 Mar 2018 16:16

Whatever he did, that was stupid.
User avatar Alexandre B.

23 Mar 2018 16:18

There was a descent.
User avatar Geraint Too Fast

23 Mar 2018 16:22

It was a descent finish and he still can't descend very well.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

23 Mar 2018 23:00

Alexandre B. wrote:Whatever he did, that was stupid.

Stupid is as stupid does, i.e. posting something...excuse me...stupid. The riders came to the finish not as a bunch but as a line, there was a gap...and he lost some time. Go on YouTube. This is a preparation race. Had he taken risks and crashed, now THAT would have been stupid on his part.

http://www.equipecycliste-groupama-fdj.fr/fr/actualites/thibaut-pinot-pris-dans-une-petite-cassure/
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re: Re:

24 Mar 2018 08:39

Tonton wrote:

Stupid is as stupid does, i.e. posting something...excuse me...stupid. The riders came to the finish not as a bunch but as a line, there was a gap...and he lost some time. Go on YouTube. This is a preparation race. Had he taken risks and crashed, now THAT would have been stupid on his part.

http://www.equipecycliste-groupama-fdj.fr/fr/actualites/thibaut-pinot-pris-dans-une-petite-cassure/

Preparation race or not, he's the only contender to have lost time here.
User avatar Alexandre B.

24 Mar 2018 13:26

Alexandre B. wrote:
Tonton wrote:

He's not in Catalunya to contend, but to prepare. He was pleasantly surprised about his performance after stage 3, also stated after stage 4 that he still lacked strength and that "the important thing is to finish the Volta in good condition".

http://www.equipecycliste-groupama-fdj.fr/fr/actualites/thibaut-pinot-repond-deja-present/

The objective is a great Giro and having enough left in the tank comes July. Not being strong in March and mixing it up with Valverde. Lessons from '17...

I still don't understand where that "stupid" thing was coming from...
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

24 Mar 2018 14:10

Tonton wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:
Tonton wrote:

He's not in Catalunya to contend, but to prepare. He was pleasantly surprised about his performance after stage 3, also stated after stage 4 that he still lacked strength and that "the important thing is to finish the Volta in good condition".

http://www.equipecycliste-groupama-fdj.fr/fr/actualites/thibaut-pinot-repond-deja-present/

The objective is a great Giro and having enough left in the tank comes July. Not being strong in March and mixing it up with Valverde. Lessons from '17...

Well I don't spit on a well-earned 6th. :p
Especially at FDJ, who's one of the weaker sides of the WorldTour. They need those points.
User avatar Alexandre B.

25 Mar 2018 23:17

Alexandre B. wrote:
Tonton wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:
Tonton wrote:

Well I don't spit on a well-earned 6th. :p
Especially at FDJ, who's one of the weaker sides of the WorldTour. They need those points.

...see, mature riders with GT ambitions don't crash like Bernal did, fighting for a win in a one-week race in March. I hope that Bernal is OK. Great rider. He went all in, and beating Valverde in Catalunya would have been a massive statement.

We're early in the season, some have ruined or jeopardized 2018. Adam Yates. Tibo has not. Same for Aru.

I hope you read the FDJ site. Thibaut is average at best right now. Strava shows that he really pumped up mileage and intensity two weeks ago. Trentino is the rehearsal. We'll see.

Stupid is as stupid does ;) .
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

16 Apr 2018 20:30

3rd-2nd-5th-2nd-1st (then GC 2nd) in '17, now 4th...Il Tibo likes Trentino and Trentino likes Pinot...the streak continues. He looked pretty good today for his 10th racing day. Last year, his 10th racing day was on February 18th.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

17 Apr 2018 07:13

Bold prediction here: Pinot will win the Giro.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

17 Apr 2018 07:38

Like i said in the prediction thread a couple of months ago he's the favourite for third place.
For the win should happen something (ilness, crash, very bad day) to both Froome and Dumoilin, i think that in normal circumstances they are better than him in both TT and climbing.
Nirvana

Re:

17 Apr 2018 10:38

SafeBet wrote:Bold prediction here: Pinot will win the Giro.

Big call. I wouldn't mind seeing him win but he will need no bad days which is his biggest weakness. His TT can also be pretty variable.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

17 Apr 2018 10:46

SafeBet wrote:Bold prediction here: Pinot will win the Giro.

I'd love it. But his chances are very slim. I really think that if Dumoulin is as good as last year and doesn't fade in the 3rd week then he'll probably win. But I'm doubting Dumoulin for now. For Froome I'm expecting similar form to last year, not impressive but solid enough.

Pinot will have to benefit a lot from the demolition job that Astana are gonna do on the peloton.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing