Log in:  

Register

Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

03 Feb 2018 12:04

huge wrote:
Tonton wrote:Interview in La Croix: objective at Il Giro: better GC than last year. Worlds, GDL.
Le Parisien: no French Championships...but twitter contradicts this.


Perhaps he'll take part, but not really training and targeting them?
They are inbetween the Giro and the Tour, when he actually needs to rest, not go full gas, if he wants to perform well in July.

Anyway, his participation in the Giro makes the Corsa Rosa more and more interesting. The field of top riders looks quite strong, barring any Froome's ban.

Froome
Dumoulin
Pinot
Chaves

He will not race the Nationals.
User avatar Alexandre B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,591
Joined: 10 Feb 2015 20:04
Location: Paris, France

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

03 Feb 2018 12:10

Alexandre B. wrote:
huge wrote:
Tonton wrote:Interview in La Croix: objective at Il Giro: better GC than last year. Worlds, GDL.
Le Parisien: no French Championships...but twitter contradicts this.


Perhaps he'll take part, but not really training and targeting them?
They are inbetween the Giro and the Tour, when he actually needs to rest, not go full gas, if he wants to perform well in July.

Anyway, his participation in the Giro makes the Corsa Rosa more and more interesting. The field of top riders looks quite strong, barring any Froome's ban.

Froome
Dumoulin
Pinot
Chaves

He will not race the Nationals.


Is he allowed to make such a choice?

In Italy the Nationals are compulsory.
Any rider refusing to participate will be temporary banned from the National team.
huge
Member
 
Posts: 437
Joined: 24 Mar 2015 17:17

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

03 Feb 2018 12:12

huge wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:
huge wrote:
Tonton wrote:Interview in La Croix: objective at Il Giro: better GC than last year. Worlds, GDL.
Le Parisien: no French Championships...but twitter contradicts this.


Perhaps he'll take part, but not really training and targeting them?
They are inbetween the Giro and the Tour, when he actually needs to rest, not go full gas, if he wants to perform well in July.

Anyway, his participation in the Giro makes the Corsa Rosa more and more interesting. The field of top riders looks quite strong, barring any Froome's ban.

Froome
Dumoulin
Pinot
Chaves

He will not race the Nationals.


Is he allowed to make such a choice?

In Italy the Nationals are compulsory.
Any rider refusing to participate will be temporary banned from the National team.

He can do whatever he or his team wants.

FDJ will field 20+ riders anyway.
User avatar Alexandre B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,591
Joined: 10 Feb 2015 20:04
Location: Paris, France

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

03 Feb 2018 13:34

huge wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:
huge wrote:
Tonton wrote:Interview in La Croix: objective at Il Giro: better GC than last year. Worlds, GDL.
Le Parisien: no French Championships...but twitter contradicts this.


Perhaps he'll take part, but not really training and targeting them?
They are inbetween the Giro and the Tour, when he actually needs to rest, not go full gas, if he wants to perform well in July.

Anyway, his participation in the Giro makes the Corsa Rosa more and more interesting. The field of top riders looks quite strong, barring any Froome's ban.

Froome
Dumoulin
Pinot
Chaves

He will not race the Nationals.


Is he allowed to make such a choice?

In Italy the Nationals are compulsory.
Any rider refusing to participate will be temporary banned from the National team.

Afaik, Nibali didn't ride in '16, and he rode the OGRR not long after...
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,999
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

03 Feb 2018 15:55

Nirvana
Member
 
Posts: 1,021
Joined: 28 Jul 2015 18:17
Location: Florence

03 Feb 2018 17:15

Seems like Pinot and FDJ are worried about the first week in the TDF, hence the decision to do the Giro/TDF double.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,469
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re:

03 Feb 2018 20:57

yaco wrote:Seems like Pinot and FDJ are worried about the first week in the TDF, hence the decision to do the Giro/TDF double.

...only one of the reasons, and I agree with Marc Madiot. Not putting all your eggs in this TdF basket makes sense: in '14 the favorites were decimated week 1, and although Tibopino did really well, in '15 he wasn't so lucky. This year, some riders with high GC aspirations will be out of contention comes the first rest day. Even without TP's participation at the nationals, I still don't like the Giro-Tour thing. Fingers crossed...
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,110
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

Re: Re:

03 Feb 2018 21:57

Tonton wrote:
yaco wrote:Seems like Pinot and FDJ are worried about the first week in the TDF, hence the decision to do the Giro/TDF double.

...only one of the reasons, and I agree with Marc Madiot. Not putting all your eggs in this TdF basket makes sense: in '14 the favorites were decimated week 1, and although Tibopino did really well, in '15 he wasn't so lucky. This year, some riders with high GC aspirations will be out of contention comes the first rest day. Even without TP's participation at the nationals, I still don't like the Giro-Tour thing. Fingers crossed...

c'mon... he wasn't so lucky? he was completly off shape, he dropped and lost a lot of time in the mur du huy stage. did he have bad luck? No!!! just bad legs.
portugal11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,963
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 23:15

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

03 Feb 2018 23:30

You are something else portugal11 :) ! Stage 3, Mur de Huy, is when William Bonnet almost dies in this horrific crash, it shook Pinot. Look at his pre-Tour results: he was in great shape. Stage 4, flat on the cobbles, then dead battery. and he found himself at 6'30" in the GC. Then stage 5, crash. I don't under-estimate your cycling knowledge, but on this one, you are wayyyy off. C'mon, man...
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,110
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

04 Feb 2018 08:01

Tonton wrote:You are something else portugal11 :) ! Stage 3, Mur de Huy, is when William Bonnet almost dies in this horrific crash, it shook Pinot. Look at his pre-Tour results: he was in great shape. Stage 4, flat on the cobbles, then dead battery. and he found himself at 6'30" in the GC. Then stage 5, crash. I don't under-estimate your cycling knowledge, but on this one, you are wayyyy off. C'mon, man...

you are always making excuses for his bad performances... I may agree with you in stage 4 and 5 but never in stage 3... if he was so mentally broken he would have quit the tour after that... and after all the crash was ugly but very far of being deadly...
portugal11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,963
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 23:15

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

06 Feb 2018 18:02

Here is a article on Pinot that I always wanted to share, but I lost it, and now find anew !

http://www.liberation.fr/sports/2017/05/07/thibaut-pinot-l-echappee-bele_1567890

Sorry this is in French, I hope that google traduction is pretty accurate.

For those who wants to know more about the man behind the cyclist, this is good stuff, and the anecdotes are funny.
User avatar Chrispol
Junior Member
 
Posts: 152
Joined: 22 Aug 2017 19:24
Location: Toulouse, France

06 Feb 2018 23:02

I wish he would just swerve the Tour. Go all in for Giro, Vuelta as a secondary target.
User avatar Poursuivant
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,045
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 18:19

Re:

06 Feb 2018 23:38

Poursuivant wrote:I wish he would just swerve the Tour. Go all in for Giro, Vuelta as a secondary target.

Thibaut is always very strong beginning at the GP La Marseillaise, remains competitive throughout the spring. With a lighter program, he may show up at Il Giro with the form he had at La Ruta last year, or Tirreno, or Romandie '16. I agree he should go all-in at Il Giro. And rest. I hate the Tour proposition, in spite of the extra week in between and skipping the Nationals. It's a gamble, and even if he goes for (and wins) a stage, for many it won't be enough. Anything short of what Barguil did last year would be criticized. Week one is a lottery. But the sponsors want it. Vuelta would make a lot more sense.

With less mileage in his legs, the extra rest week, there's still a chance to get a top-form PInot to be himself and mix it up for the GC. The extra week makes it just about the same as a TdF-Vuelta bid. The only (and it's a major) difference is that the TdF riders will be fresher and spend more time scouting. Mastering the Portet and knowing each meter of the ITT will make a big difference down the stretch for a podium.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,110
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

07 Feb 2018 13:57

Will Pinot accept offers from other WT teams ? Move and he can fairly much target the Giro every year.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,469
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

07 Feb 2018 19:22

Apparently Bahrain wants him as long term replacement for Nibali that will likely focus more and more on the classics toward the end of his career.
Nirvana
Member
 
Posts: 1,021
Joined: 28 Jul 2015 18:17
Location: Florence

08 Feb 2018 04:46

It's a matter of whether Pinot will accept less dollars or similar dollars - French leader's in French teams are paid extremely well.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,469
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re:

08 Feb 2018 07:49

Nirvana wrote:Apparently Bahrain wants him as long term replacement for Nibali that will likely focus more and more on the classics toward the end of his career.

That sounds not only like a very good solution for both Nibali and Pinot. But for cycling in general!
User avatar staubsauger
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,201
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 18:14

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

08 Feb 2018 17:07

Since FDJ got a increase budget with Groupama and that Pinot is not the type of rider who likes change, for me there is almost no chance for this transfert to happen.
User avatar Chrispol
Junior Member
 
Posts: 152
Joined: 22 Aug 2017 19:24
Location: Toulouse, France

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

09 Feb 2018 03:02

Chrispol wrote:Since FDJ got a increase budget with Groupama and that Pinot is not the type of rider who likes change, for me there is almost no chance for this transfert to happen.

I agree with you, although the other posts are making a ton of sense. Thibaut likes his routine, his farm, animals, fishing, he's a free spirit, living the life he wants, How many people can say that? He could have moved 50 km eastwards and saved millions in taxes. He did not.

At first I was a fan because of the hometown thing: I was born in Haute-Saone from Jurassiens, I'm a Comtois and damn proud of it.

But there's more: the crash when he was 15, broken arms, the human part. I can identify. Doubts. Fear. Demons. How refreshing, in the age of the terminators, he's human. He posted his data, no games like others did, that;s transparent, exemplary.

Tibopino doesn't have the Michael Jordan killer instinct, mental strength... some have more I confess. But to be at his level, you are not weak. You dig deep and suffer: like dropping Valverde and Landa, catching Contador and axe-murdering him. Many more.

I'm digressing here. Throwing stuff at portugal11 maybe.

What's not to like about Thibaut Pinot? Really. A good guy. Just wish him the best...please.

I'm turning into LaFlo :) >
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,110
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

09 Feb 2018 13:40

I just read the Madiot-interview on CN. He sounds very optimistic and I agree on every point he made about Thibaut. Fewer race days before the Giro and 2 more weeks before Tour (when you consider he rode the NCs last year) should do him very well, at least he won't be as dead as last year in the Tour. With the WC in mind I think that is a great schedule.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,539
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DJ Sprtsch, Google [Bot], Leinster, Logic-is-your-friend, Max Rockatansky, Sandisfan, tobydawq, vedrafjord, WKA311 and 48 guests

Back to top