Register

Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

15 May 2017 18:12

He said he would go for the stage win, but he is aware that he is quite unlikely to beat Dumoulin. But he prefers to be ambitious, he says that if he has monstrous legs why not...
manolo57

Re:

15 May 2017 18:15

manolo57 wrote:He said he would go for the stage win, but he is aware that he is quite unlikely to beat Dumoulin. But he prefers to be ambitious, he says that if he has monstrous legs why not...

Of course he's not saying he will win, but he's not excluding this opportunity. He says he's just behind Dumoulin, Thomas and Jungels.
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

16 May 2017 00:27

My biggest takeaway from his interview is body language: Thibaut smiled on more than one occasion, exuded confidence, projected a great aura. He's having fun.

Whatever happens, barring an incident, Tibopino will be a poison for his opponents. After Quintana, he's the best of the rest IMO. He's a strong rider on week-3. If Pinot is less than a minute from pink at this time next week, watch out...
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

16 May 2017 05:38

Do we already know starting times?
User avatar Krokro

16 May 2017 15:16

And here's the most frustrating rider. Bloody hell.
User avatar Alexandre B.

16 May 2017 15:16

Well, that was disappointing. :(
User avatar Simurgh

16 May 2017 15:21

Not a good day, for sure. I was expecting Thibaut to be a minute faster. If that's his bad day, I'll take it. He's still in the mix for a podium spot.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

16 May 2017 15:23

Tonton wrote:Not a good day, for sure. I was expecting Thibaut to be a minute faster. If that's his bad day, I'll take it. He's still in the mix for a podium spot.

A bad day on a GC day is not good, period :o
User avatar Alexandre B.

16 May 2017 15:27

Hope he can bounce back, but I'm happy that he got a reality check regarding his TT skills.
User avatar lenric

16 May 2017 15:31

Alexandre B. wrote:
Tonton wrote:Not a good day, for sure. I was expecting Thibaut to be a minute faster. If that's his bad day, I'll take it. He's still in the mix for a podium spot.

A bad day on a GC day is not good, period :o

Of course this wasn't ideal, and you don't want to have a bad day, but....Some say Pinot is bound to have a bad day - if this was that, than he'll be okay. If he continues to be one of the top climbers of this Giro, then things could still go his way.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

16 May 2017 15:32

I thought he'd be on Nibali's level, perhaps even better. And it seemed to be the case for most of the TT, but he faded badly in the end.
Disappointing, but he's in the mix.

My only concern is that he might take a mental hit after believing he could do so well in the TT. If you guys hear any interview from him I'd be interested to know how he sounds.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

16 May 2017 15:34

Karma is a bitch. He has to be more humble in interviews
portugal11

Re:

16 May 2017 15:36

portugal11 wrote:Karma is a bitch. He has to be more humble in interviews

He said he would have at least one bad day in the same interview.
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re:

16 May 2017 15:41

portugal11 wrote:Karma is a bitch. He has to be more humble in interviews

...be back to his old self? ;)

In his interview yesterday, Tibopino said that he has not had a long ITT since last year. @lenric, you may have a point there: Thibaut worked hard for the ITT title, but he may not have practiced much since. Not good in Tirreno, not good today.

He'll bounce back as early as tomorrow :cool: . No worries.
User avatar Tonton

16 May 2017 15:41

My thoughts exactly. Rather see him having his bad day today, somewhat early in the race, than throwing away a podium spot in the final days :o
User avatar Simurgh

16 May 2017 16:04

Disappointing ride maybe rest day syndrome got him.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2017 16:59

movingtarget wrote:Disappointing ride maybe rest day syndrome got him.

According to the comments on l'Equipe quoting Pinot, rest day syndrome it is. And the posters piling up on him. The same who were silent on Sunday. The same who will soon be silenced again. Tibopino will be back with vengeance. It's a five horse race for three spots.
User avatar Tonton

Re: Re:

16 May 2017 17:03

Tonton wrote:

According to the comments on l'Equipe quoting Pinot, rest day syndrome it is. And the posters piling up on him. The same who were silent on Sunday. The same who will soon be silenced again. Tibopino will be back with vengeance. It's a five horse race for three spots.

He needs to sort that syndrome out then, one thing is a very mediocre TT, another thing is double Stelvio and Mortirolo after the rest day...
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re: Re:

16 May 2017 17:07

Tonton wrote:

The vengeance thing is very beautiful, but very useless, since the reality is that he won't win **** (GT-wise) if he keeps having bad days.
User avatar lenric

16 May 2017 17:12

Disappointing ride. I expected much better from Pinot. The thing is if his form was good enough to threaten for a podium he would have performed better today. Only 11 seconds faster than Quintana suggests he won't have the strength in the remaining mountains, let alone the final TT even if he has good recovery.
Cookster15

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing