Register

Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

16 May 2017 17:28

Damn, quite disappointing. I expected more from Tibo :(
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

16 May 2017 21:04

As far as I've seen in the post-race interview, he had such a hard day because of the break. He immediatly knew that it was a day off and that he did not have the mojo today. No need to be salty, at least he is aware of his weakness. Still its hard keeping the rythm with such days inbetween, kinda tricky.
As Tonton said, if its his bad day I'll take it and he still has a shot at it. We are mid-Giro, carefull with drawing conclusions already !
Krokro

Re: Re:

16 May 2017 22:40

Valv.Piti wrote:
Tonton wrote:
movingtarget wrote:Disappointing ride maybe rest day syndrome got him.

According to the comments on l'Equipe quoting Pinot, rest day syndrome it is. And the posters piling up on him. The same who were silent on Sunday. The same who will soon be silenced again. Tibopino will be back with vengeance. It's a five horse race for three spots.

He needs to sort that syndrome out then, one thing is a very mediocre TT, another thing is double Stelvio and Mortirolo after the rest day...

We'll see...

To me it's unfortunate, but flat after a rest day has happened before to other riders, it's not new. Not everyone is Armstrong. It's too bad that Pinot was the victim this time, but not as bad as what happened to the Sky guys and Yates. This happen in a GT...

One so-so day, OK, but 4th after 10 stages, seconds from second and third, that's not a bad spot to be in. He's strong week-3, and there's a lot of climbing left. Forza Tibopino! Show them...
"Finally, the last thing I'll say to the people who don't believe in cycling, the cynics and the skeptics: I'm sorry for you. I'm sorry that you can't dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles."
User avatar Tonton

17 May 2017 15:17

Good performance today, he gave it a try and it was convincing to me.

I'll be hugely disappointed if Mollema finishes ahead of him in GC.
Now, to reach the podium he wants, it won't be easy. Nibali is not climbing better than him at the moment, but it's Nibali. Quintana will likely beat him on climbs, and Dumoulin - well, we'll see the multi-mountains stages.
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re:

17 May 2017 16:05

Alexandre B. wrote:Good performance today, he gave it a try and it was convincing to me.

Now, to reach the podium he wants, it won't be easy. Nibali is not climbing better than him at the moment, but it's Nibali. Quintana will likely beat him on climbs, and Dumoulin - well, we'll see the multi-mountains stages.

I truly believe that Pinot will beat Mollema, but....Mollema is the type of guy who is just always there - Pinot should be a little careful.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re:

17 May 2017 16:48

Alexandre B. wrote:Good performance today, he gave it a try and it was convincing to me.

Spot on.

Today was a good day for Il Grandissimo Tibopino. Good for morale: still a lot of climbing left. He'll beat Mollema IMO. For the podium, it could get dicey. Nairo is Nairo, Dumoulin has a huge lead, and with Nibali you never know. "All" he needs is to beat one of these three. He'll keep fighting. Next is Oropa.
"Finally, the last thing I'll say to the people who don't believe in cycling, the cynics and the skeptics: I'm sorry for you. I'm sorry that you can't dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles."
User avatar Tonton

17 May 2017 19:18

Seemed like a pointless attack on the final climb - Maybe he wanted to show his strength.
yaco

17 May 2017 21:34

Anybody have the full video of the stage? I need to re-watch Pinot's attack.
WheelofGear

17 May 2017 21:50

manolo57

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

17 May 2017 22:32

Good for the morale, and with two meh stages coming up, it's not like he depleted his energy reserves and will pay the price tomorrow. Pretty nice attack actually (not that you expected me to write otherwise ;) )...

Oropa...
User avatar Tonton

Re:

18 May 2017 01:44

yaco wrote:Seemed like a pointless attack on the final climb - Maybe he wanted to show his strength.

I think it was more about his time losses in the TT and being a bit angry but I agree he should have left it alone. Being good over three weeks is about not wasting energy and picking the right time to attack.
movingtarget
Veteran

18 May 2017 07:41

I'm glad he gave it a try. Nothing to lose considering there are two flat stages next, and you never know if a rider gets in trouble you can easily gain one minute on him.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

20 May 2017 15:01

De Gent v2.

Overhyped.
User avatar lenric

20 May 2017 15:05

Diesel style today.

It could be weird to some of you, but I wasn't particularly confident when FDJ took the reins, and his body language was a bit worrying to me. He's on the podium now, and has showed once again that Nibali is an inferior climber at the moment.

I feel a bit sad seeing Dumoulin, whom I don't consider superior to Pinot in term of capabilities, doing extraordinary well.
User avatar Alexandre B.

20 May 2017 15:05

At least he got some time on Nibali.
carolina

20 May 2017 15:11

Tonton, I will win our bet
portugal11

20 May 2017 15:15

He look somewhat bad to me at the run-in to the climb (and before the GC contenders drove away), so I wasn't really shocked to see him dropped. But he did catch up. I think it is safe to say, that two of the three podium spots have the names "Quintana" and "Dumolin" written all over them (barring crashes and mechanicals), so the biggest threat to the last podium spot is going to be Nibali (and Zakarin too, I'd imagine).
User avatar Simurgh

Re:

20 May 2017 15:20

lenric wrote:De Gent v2.

Overhyped.

Don't come here and behave portugal11 style. He still gained time on Nibs, Yates, Mollema and Jungels. I guess he blew up when it accelerated brutally.
He managed the end of the climb in a better way than the riders i mentionned, so not that terrible at the end of the day.
Krokro

Re: Re:

20 May 2017 15:35

Krokro wrote:
lenric wrote:De Gent v2.

Overhyped.

Don't come here and behave portugal11 style. He still gained time on Nibs, Yates, Mollema and Jungels. I guess he blew up when it accelerated brutally.
He managed the end of the climb in a better way than the riders i mentionned, so not that terrible at the end of the day.

Might as well delete the forum
kingjr

20 May 2017 15:36

Sad to see that when it matters he is on the back foot and when it is not required, he attacks. Still on for a podium spot but now cannot afford any mistakes and rest day blues etc.
IndianCyclist

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing