Register

Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

14 May 2017 17:33

Very surprising, i naver see him so strong in a GT stage. Bravissimo. I just hope he doesn't have his classic bad day
User avatar Matteo.

Re:

14 May 2017 19:02

Matteo. wrote:Very surprising, i naver see him so strong in a GT stage. Bravissimo. I just hope he doesn't have his classic bad day

I'm not surprised one bit. I have been following Il Grandissimo Tibopino for quite some time. And I disagree with your statement: in '14, Pinot didn't have a bad day and he was impressive when he dropped Nibali on Port de Bales. Having said that, I see where you are coming from: in years past, Thibaut was mostly following wheels. He's more confident now: the win at La Ruta (dropping Valverde, catching/beating Contador) was key, in my opinion.

For some reason, Thibaut races well in Italy. He loves the country, the tifosi, participating in Il Giro was his dream: I hope he makes the best of it. The tattoo on his arm says "solo la vittoria è bella". Forza Tibopino!
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

14 May 2017 19:47

Not only that, but also the lack of pressure the french media usually puts on their riders prior to the Tour. Particularly all the fuzz about Pinot vs Bardet. It's really not healthy.

I still think that he may have a bad day, but I honestly hope not for his sake and for the sake of the race.
User avatar lenric

14 May 2017 19:54

Yes, strong show by Pinot today. He has a shot at the podium in this Giro. I don't think he has the weapons to win it, but top 3 seems realistic.
La fatica in montagna per me è poesia (Fatigue in the mountains is poetry to me) - Marco Pantani
Van een ezel kunt ge geen koerspaard maken (You can't turn a donkey into a race horse) - Patrick Lefevere
User avatar Pantani_lives

14 May 2017 21:10

"I didn't have the best sensations."

Once the weather cools, be afraid. Be very afraid.
User avatar Alexandre B.

14 May 2017 21:16

Pinot along with Tom D are Quintana's biggest challengers, hope Pinot takes two minutes on Nairo in the ITT on tuesday
del1962
Veteran

Re:

14 May 2017 21:25

Alexandre B. wrote:"I didn't have the best sensations."

So he will demolish everyone on stlevio :D
portugal11

14 May 2017 23:22

I'm not surprised by his performance. I always thought he is just behind the first tier (Quintana, Froome, Contador, Nibali at his absolute peak) in terms of climbing ability. Now he needs to show consistency in the following stages.
User avatar johnymax

Re: Re:

14 May 2017 23:22

portugal11 wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:"I didn't have the best sensations."

So he will demolish everyone on stlevio :D

Where do I sign? ;)

This could be the day. But before, Tuesday's ITT is big. We need the '16 Romandie Pinot.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

Re:

15 May 2017 02:58

johnymax wrote:I'm not surprised by his performance. I always thought he is just behind the first tier (Quintana, Froome, Contador, Nibali at his absolute peak) in terms of climbing ability. Now he needs to show consistency in the following stages.

This exactly. His top form is excellent. Just finished watching the last 10 K. He looked pretty good. Very excited for the coming days.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

15 May 2017 06:55

:cool:
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re: Re:

15 May 2017 09:12

Tonton wrote:
Matteo. wrote:Very surprising, i naver see him so strong in a GT stage. Bravissimo. I just hope he doesn't have his classic bad day

I'm not surprised one bit. I have been following Il Grandissimo Tibopino for quite some time. And I disagree with your statement: in '14, Pinot didn't have a bad day and he was impressive when he dropped Nibali on Port de Bales. Having said that, I see where you are coming from: in years past, Thibaut was mostly following wheels. He's more confident now: the win at La Ruta (dropping Valverde, catching/beating Contador) was key, in my opinion.

For some reason, Thibaut races well in Italy. He loves the country, the tifosi, participating in Il Giro was his dream: I hope he makes the best of it. The tattoo on his arm says "solo la vittoria è bella". Forza Tibopino!

We'll see: this is his proof of maturity and I hope he will overcome it. If he does not have a bad day, the podium is certainly in its reach for what has shown this season
User avatar Matteo.

15 May 2017 09:16

Anyone got a link to the stage or just the Blockhaus climb? I missed it yesterday, but I was pleasantly surprised by the result.
User avatar Simurgh

Re:

15 May 2017 09:30

Simurgh wrote:Anyone got a link to the stage or just the Blockhaus climb? I missed it yesterday, but I was pleasantly surprised by the result.

http://tiz-cycling.racing/ !
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re:

15 May 2017 09:58

Alexandre B. wrote:Image
:cool:

Ironically that stage was won by Pinot :D
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

15 May 2017 13:21

Tibopino :cool:

I'm so happy he chose the Giro. He's finally unleashing all of his potential.
I'm pretty sure he'll do a great TT.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

15 May 2017 17:40

Strange how many think he is inconsistent in terms of day-to-day recovery, while he has actully been susceptible to being thrown off his game by external or unforseen circumstances. This too only happened in the pressure cooker environment of the Tour de France. From what was on show yesterday, he has the kind of confidence and maturity that he hasn't show before in a GT.

It was magnificent contrast of climbing styles between him and Dumoulin yesterday. One riding constant tempo, the other constantly accelerating and decelerating depending on how he felt at any given moment. And in the end both finished on same time.
User avatar Põhja Konn

15 May 2017 17:43

Less pressure and likely low temperatures in the Alps next week, its not looking too bad for Pinot I must admit. Podium pretty likely.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

15 May 2017 18:04

Thibaut aims the stage win tomorrow.

On such a parcours and at his best, I've little doubt he can challenge even Tom Dumoulin.
User avatar Alexandre B.

15 May 2017 18:11

I guess it depends whether Dumoulin was able to keep his power or not. I think they will be very close to each other.

I just want him to have at least one day in pink. I really need an avatar :D
carolina

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing