Register

Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

13 May 2018 15:35

He looked good today, could respond to any attack. A bit disappointed that he didn't win the sprint for the line..oh well, you can't have everything :D All in all, a good day and a step closer to the podium in my opinion, but he needs to drop/take time on Yates and Chaves sooner or later. Still sure that Dumoulin will at least podium. And for now, I don't feel like discarding Froome.
User avatar Simurgh

13 May 2018 16:30

Pinot is looking strong - The crucial stage will be the ITT where he should take time from the likes of Yates and Chaves.
yaco

13 May 2018 16:35

Dumoulin
Pinot
Yates

:)
Climber123

13 May 2018 16:38

Actually I thought he looked bad today.

At the top of Calascio he was grimacing as if he was going to drop at any moment. Looked a bit better at the end, but when he is in good shape, he attacks, so I am a little worried at the moment. I think the same statement can be done for Dumoulin. Last year they were good from start to finish, not "peaking for the third week" bullshit.

I don't like to say that, but the team was bad today. At 7km from the finish, when I saw Thibaut replacing himself alone in the wind with Reichenbach cruising at the back of the peloton for whatever reason, I was pretty pissed.

Yates look mighty strong at the moment, hope he can reverse the situation, but I am not to optimistic. Last year we all thought that Dumoulin was going to crack in the third week, we know the rest. Especially with Yates who is a young rider, he has improved in all areas, climbing, recuperation, and even ITT. I'm sure he'll surprise us on the road to Rovereto...
User avatar Chrispol

Re:

13 May 2018 22:13

yaco wrote:Pinot is looking strong - The crucial stage will be the ITT where he should take time from the likes of Yates and Chaves.

His TT as shown in the final one in last year's Giro can be very unpredictable.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

14 May 2018 14:53

...not unpredictable, rather back to his '15 level after a great '16 that raised expectations. FDJ put a lot of time and efforts, gained a lot in TTT and ITT, but in Pinot's case there was a clear trade-off: he became even more of a diesel. For '17, Thibaut/Julien went for a more explosive Tibopino, and the ITT power was gone. TP lost roughly 3 seconds per km at each of the two ITT in Il Giro, and again this year in Jerusalem. Although stage 1, with all that dust on the road, after Froome's crash, some played it safer than others.Not unlike last year's TdF opener.

So far so good for Tibopino. In order to beat Dumoulin, he needs to gain 1'45" in the mountains to offset ITT losses. I trust him to beat Pozzo, Yates (but not by much), and Chaves in the said ITT. Aru seems to be out of the picture, Froome still is a threat, he needs to be finished off next week-end.

That's on paper. We'll see what happens on the road. Vai Tibopino!

Edit: rest day management was a big issue last year. I hope that lessons were learned. At least one of the two after-rest-day stages, tomorrow' stage, isn't a Giro-defining day. The other is the ITT, and it really scares me, because that stage will shape the podium picture. "Only" 34 km of ITT left instead of 70: Pinot is in a better situation than last year.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

14 May 2018 15:16

It's a TT after a rest day. Wouldn't be shocked if Pozzovivo takes 1 minute from Pinot, like in the 2013 Vuelta a España! Be prepared..
User avatar staubsauger

Re:

14 May 2018 15:25

staubsauger wrote:It's a TT after a rest day. Wouldn't be shocked if Pozzovivo takes 1 minute from Pinot, like in the 2013 Vuelta a España! Be prepared..

Yeah I must admit I am not entirely convinced Pinot will deliver a strong TT, although on paper he should be the best behind Dumo and Froome. It just seems like the kind of moment everyone is expecting a good performance, and he just cracks under the pressure a little. Hope I'm wrong. Still firmly seated on the Tibo hypetrain though.
The stage I am worried about the most is Saturday's stage. Not sure what we can expect from Pinot on the Zonc.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

14 May 2018 19:45

I hope that M S doesn't become the new Saunier-Duval and pulls a '07 on us :D . If so, I expect Tibopino to be the new Schleck (I can't believe I wrote that :o ).
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

14 May 2018 20:05

Tonton wrote:I hope that M S doesn't become the new Saunier-Duval and pulls a '07 on us :D . If so, I expect Tibopino to be the new Schleck (I can't believe I wrote that :o ).

LOL :D :lol:
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

Re: Re:

14 May 2018 20:11

LaFlorecita wrote:
staubsauger wrote:It's a TT after a rest day. Wouldn't be shocked if Pozzovivo takes 1 minute from Pinot, like in the 2013 Vuelta a España! Be prepared..

Yeah I must admit I am not entirely convinced Pinot will deliver a strong TT, although on paper he should be the best behind Dumo and Froome. It just seems like the kind of moment everyone is expecting a good performance, and he just cracks under the pressure a little. Hope I'm wrong. Still firmly seated on the Tibo hypetrain though.
The stage I am worried about the most is Saturday's stage. Not sure what we can expect from Pinot on the Zonc.

I don't think he has any problem with very high gradient :

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-suisse/2015/stage-5
http://www.climbing-records.com/2015/06/pinot-pulverizes-rettenbachferner-record.html

He was pretty good on Angliru in the Vuelta 2013 too.
User avatar Chrispol

Re:

14 May 2018 22:23

Which means there is going to be some strange results anyway. Rest days never sit well with a hard stage the next day for at least some of the GC riders. Tejay not riding so the parameters narrow........
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Re:

14 May 2018 23:39

movingtarget wrote:

Which means there is going to be some strange results anyway. Rest days never sit well with a hard stage the next day for at least some of the GC riders. Tejay not riding so the parameters narrow........

...no need to go back to 2013. Last year, stage 10 after a rest-day at Il Giro, as bad as he was, Pinot beat Pozzo by 25".
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

15 May 2018 15:26

Chaves down. One step closer to the podium.

1. Yates
2. Pinot
3. Pozzo

would be a cool podium. A time trialist-free podium.
WheelofGear

15 May 2018 15:40

A great day for his podium aspirations.
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re:

15 May 2018 15:41

WheelofGear wrote:Chaves down. One step closer to the podium.

1. Yates
2. Pinot
3. Pozzo

would be a cool podium. A time trialist-free podium.

He's already on the podium.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

15 May 2018 20:47

Alexandre B. wrote:A great day for his podium aspirations.

Yes, and the "MS puzzle" is much less of a puzzle with Chaves out of the GC picture.

10 down and 10 to go, with the most difficult yet to come.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

15 May 2018 21:17

Until now his team didn't have to do a lot of work, he'll need them on stage 14, a diesel like Pinot will be at his best if the tempo is already high on Passo Duron, but you can say the same about Astana and MAL.
The descents on stage 15 could be a bit tricky for him (I think they recently fixed some potholes on Passo di San Antonio, but I have't ridden it since they did some roadwork, mainly for the Giro).
The ITT after the rest day could also be a bit problematic, but it should be easier to prepare for than a normal road stage, do a similar length effort on you TT bike on the rest day, maybe not as intense, about 45min at FTP on your TT bike should be a good preparation.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

15 May 2018 21:43

45 min FTP on your TT-bike, are you out of your mind? Thats basically 15 less than what you would do in a full blown hour record assault :D Thats some real manly **** if he does that the day before the actual ITT as that stage actually requires right around 45 min FTP.

Rettenbach is a lot different than Zonc as well. Well, Zonc is just different to any climb, but I'd definitely say that a climb like Rettenbach suits Pinot a lot more than Zonc.

Good day for Pinot, he needs the contenders to eliminate themselves and stay his consistent self, then he'll probably win.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

15 May 2018 21:46

Valv.Piti wrote:45 min FTP on your TT-bike, are you out of your mind? Thats basically 15 less than what you would do in a full blown hour record assault :D Thats some real manly **** if he does that the day before the actual ITT as that stage actually requires right around 45 min FTP.

Rettenbach is a lot different than Zonc as well. Well, Zonc is just different to any climb, but I'd definitely say that a climb like Rettenbach suits Pinot a lot more than Zonc.

Good day for Pinot, he needs the contenders to eliminate themselves and stay his consistent self, then he'll probably win.

Yeah, I messed that one up, it should probably be 45min at lower intensity.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing