Register

Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

14 Sep 2018 22:30

lartiste wrote:I am really happy for Tibopino and Tonton :), congratulation both.

Cheers my friend :) . Now let's see what tomorrow brings ;) . His last stage 20 in a GT was what I call 9/11 on wheels for Tibopino. The one before was a win. Fingers crossed...

PS: and sure enough, El Tibo wins and Guimard takes him in the team today.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

15 Sep 2018 13:31

Great ride yesterday! He was probably arguagly as strong as Yates. When he's on one of his days, he's a world class climber and rider, but unfortunately he's not consistent enough for Grand Tours. Let's hope he rides a good WCRR (he very well could) and focuses on one-day races and one-week races instead, where he could be in in the very elite.
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

15 Sep 2018 20:16

Really fun Vuelta for the Pinot fans. He said today it might be the grand tour he enjoyed the most in his career. Hoping for more in 2019 :D
User avatar LeChuck

15 Sep 2018 20:39

At the end of the day, great Vuelta for him and eventhough I cannot still believe it, finished 6th in GC.

If he will improve TT and consistence, he could win a GT. Hope for that!
User avatar lartiste

15 Sep 2018 20:41

Pinot is still my favorite French rider. You want to give him more (in terms of end GC result) but he's too on/off. Still on his good days he is enjoyable to watch
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

16 Sep 2018 06:27

Has been an excellent year for Pinot - I suspect he will ride the TDF in 2019 as his major target - Whether this will be for GC or stage hunting is yet to be seen.
yaco

16 Sep 2018 13:48

With the form of Tibo, and Alaf right now, and the big names from other countries (Bala, Nibali, Uran) looking weak, and proven champs not featuring in the high mountains (Kwiat and Sagan) and the Brits not sending Froome or G, (and maybe Simon threw all his effort into winning red, not rainbow) are France climbing high on the list of favorites for Innsbruck?
Leinster

Re:

16 Sep 2018 14:34

Leinster wrote:With the form of Tibo, and Alaf right now, and the big names from other countries (Bala, Nibali, Uran) looking weak, and proven champs not featuring in the high mountains (Kwiat and Sagan) and the Brits not sending Froome or G, (and maybe Simon threw all his effort into winning red, not rainbow) are France climbing high on the list of favorites for Innsbruck?

...that's a lot of ifs :) .

Even if all are on their A game, Tibo has a chance...not a big one, but race tactics will be crucial. Will Alaf and The Don watch each other? Nibali is playing possum, but he'll be ready. Kwiat scares me. And of course, knowing that final downhill like the palm of his hand will be a must.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re:

16 Sep 2018 14:53

Leinster wrote:With the form of Tibo, and Alaf right now, and the big names from other countries (Bala, Nibali, Uran) looking weak, and proven champs not featuring in the high mountains (Kwiat and Sagan) and the Brits not sending Froome or G, (and maybe Simon threw all his effort into winning red, not rainbow) are France climbing high on the list of favorites for Innsbruck?

Rigoberto Uran and Adam Yates rise into form.
User avatar Alexandre B.

30 Sep 2018 15:07

Would it be too ridiculous to suggest, that he could have been in that select front group at the end, if France rose for him? (And not closing gaps for Bardet/Alaphilippe). Either way, it was a good race and the top 3 definitely deserved their placings, congratulations!
User avatar Simurgh

Re:

30 Sep 2018 15:08

Simurgh wrote:Would it be too ridiculous to suggest, that he could have been in that select front group at the end, if France rose for him? (And not closing gaps for Bardet/Alaphilippe). Either way, it was a good race and the top 3 definitely deserved their placings, congratulations!

Maybe. Pinot was really active and given that he blew himself up pacing the peloton in the end and still finished in the 2nd group tells me he was clearly stronger than Alaphilippe.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

30 Sep 2018 15:12

And if Woods is noted for being a bad descender, maybe Pinot could have kept up as well. Still a great team effort by France and I doubt that he could have beaten Valverde in a sprint.
greenedge
Veteran

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

30 Sep 2018 18:31

...mixed feelings. Thibaut was really strong today. He put team first and his ambitions second. It goes to show that the guys respect Guimard. Unfortunately, Alaf' didn't have a good day. At least, France got that silver medal, so it's not all that bad.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

30 Sep 2018 19:10

Tonton wrote:...mixed feelings. Thibaut was really strong today. He put team first and his ambitions second. It goes to show that the guys respect Guimard. Unfortunately, Alaf' didn't have a good day. At least, France got that silver medal, so it's not all that bad.

In my opinion, the whole thing is problem of Guimard, he would and should know, that this is way too much for @Alafpolak. He would try with Tibopino and Romain... . On the other hand, the last ascent was really, really, really hard and most probably Tibopino would have no chance to win. He rode up his diesel way (was he waiting for @Alafpolak?) and came there in first 10. That is great and the only guy who was really fighting for position from the group was Kreuziger since it is the best Czech result of all the time. I doubt should Tibopino gone with Valverde instead of Bardet, would he keep the pace in the most hard parts of the climb.

For me, team got silver which is success and 3 guys in TOP 10 is even bigger success. Tibopino still young and will have other chance to win, may be 10 more years :) .
User avatar lartiste

30 Sep 2018 19:51

What saddens me the most is that Alaphilippe will have plenty of opportunities to win the rainbow jersey, while Pinot will not have many chances anymore.
User avatar Alexandre B.

30 Sep 2018 19:53

Nah. No fault by Guimard IMHO.

Leclercq once phrased it perfectly. The problem with Alafpolak's climbing is that whenever you expect him to perform on a certain level (2018 WCC, 2017 P-N, etc.) he seems to fail while he suddenly climbs surprisingly well (2016 Dauphine, ToC, 2018 TdF) again, out of the blue. Which then again, raises expectations and pressure on him. That's the issue.
User avatar staubsauger

Re:

30 Sep 2018 20:30

Alexandre B. wrote:What saddens me the most is that Alaphilippe will have plenty of opportunities to win the rainbow jersey, while Pinot will not have many chances anymore.

Alaphilippe won't get that many chances. His niche isn't that big.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

30 Sep 2018 20:36

staubsauger wrote:Nah. No fault by Guimard IMHO.

Leclercq once phrased it perfectly. The problem with Alafpolak's climbing is that whenever you expect him to perform on a certain level (2018 WCC, 2017 P-N, etc.) he seems to fail while he suddenly climbs surprisingly well (2016 Dauphine, ToC, 2018 TdF) again, out of the blue. Which then again, raises expectations and pressure on him. That's the issue.

My feeling was, that today it was very specific race, not for pure climbers, but also not for typical one day racers. Since it was very long and very hard route. Therefore guys with big engine and climbing skills were those to be in front. In my opinion @Alafpolak didn't have problem with climbing, but more with endurance, and what I have seen, he clearly run out of fuel. To the contrary guy with huge engine was able to comeback - I mean Tom Dumoulin.

But still @Alafpolak was only 43s down, it is nothing he did not crack, he was just unable to follow key move. I would not like to be in Guimard shoes .). And agree, that he has to learn how to handle pressure.
User avatar lartiste

Re: Re:

30 Sep 2018 21:07

Red Rick wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:What saddens me the most is that Alaphilippe will have plenty of opportunities to win the rainbow jersey, while Pinot will not have many chances anymore.

He was 10th last year on a very sprinter-oriented course. He needs a route that is tough enough to drop the Sagans and Kristoffs, and then outsprint the remainder.

lartiste wrote:But still @Alafpolak was only 43s down, it is nothing he did not crack, he was just unable to follow key move. I would not like to be in Guimard shoes .). And agree, that he has to learn how to handle pressure.

Wasn't it that he had cramps? That could have hit at any time, it just happened to be at the crucial moment of the final climb.
Leinster

Re: Re:

30 Sep 2018 21:12

Leinster wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

He was 10th last year on a very sprinter-oriented course. He needs a route that is tough enough to drop the Sagans and Kristoffs, and then outsprint the remainder.

lartiste wrote:But still @Alafpolak was only 43s down, it is nothing he did not crack, he was just unable to follow key move. I would not like to be in Guimard shoes .). And agree, that he has to learn how to handle pressure.

Wasn't it that he had cramps? That could have hit at any time, it just happened to be at the crucial moment of the final climb.

Top 10, but more importantly, he was very close to winning after his impressive attack. I don't know what this supposedly little niche is. Good at climbing short hills, extremely punchy, good at handling distances, fast in a sprint. Sounds like an ideal Worlds rider to me.
User avatar tobydawq

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing