Log in:  

Register

Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

30 Sep 2018 21:35

At a quick glance Alaphilippe's wins this year came in either uphill sprints or sprints after steep hills

neither is likely to feature often on a Worlds route
User avatar roundabout
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,189
Joined: 07 Jun 2010 11:43

Re:

30 Sep 2018 21:42

roundabout wrote:At a quick glance Alaphilippe's wins this year came in either uphill sprints or sprints after steep hills

neither is likely to feature often on a Worlds route



One of his Tour stage wins was solo after a long descent. However I would agree that would be a fair assessment of most of them.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,926
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

30 Sep 2018 22:45

Some interesting points...pressure, climbing consistency, so maybe Guimard picked the wrong leader (easy said afterwards - it seemed so obvious), or tactical mistake: destroying the field and your leader. I choose that one. The plan for a French win had to be 1. get Alaphilippe to the final km with the leaders, 2. have another French rider with him to attack and force Valverde to chase and be out-kicked. That rider could have been Thibaut, who when it's all said and done, did all this work for nothing and gets nothing.

That's a bummer, but at least Romain got the silver, and the team showed strength, some dominance, and I don't recall such a display in my long viewing experience. Better than '94, although the end result is 2 vs. 1 and 3. Nothing to be ashamed of. I'm proud of my national team tonight. They made honor to the jersey.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,156
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

30 Sep 2018 23:38

Tonton wrote:Some interesting points...pressure, climbing consistency, so maybe Guimard picked the wrong leader (easy said afterwards - it seemed so obvious), or tactical mistake: destroying the field and your leader. I choose that one. The plan for a French win had to be 1. get Alaphilippe to the final km with the leaders, 2. have another French rider with him to attack and force Valverde to chase and be out-kicked. That rider could have been Thibaut, who when it's all said and done, did all this work for nothing and gets nothing.

That's a bummer, but at least Romain got the silver, and the team showed strength, some dominance, and I don't recall such a display in my long viewing experience. Better than '94, although the end result is 2 vs. 1 and 3. Nothing to be ashamed of. I'm proud of my national team tonight. They made honor to the jersey.


When they got to the Holl with 3 French riders and no other multiples, there was no need to push the pace harder than Alaf could follow. At that point, it was up to other teams (ie, Valverde) to get rid of JA. Even if Valverde was still with them down the other side, you have one man to lead out JA, and another to box in Bala.

I'm typing this with about 8 hours' worth of hindsight of course. At the time, it made perfect sense for Bardet to push the pace and destroy the rest of the field, I just didn't expect him to pop Alaphilippe while doing it.
Leinster
Member
 
Posts: 897
Joined: 10 Jun 2017 06:44

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

30 Sep 2018 23:50

Leinster wrote:
Tonton wrote:Some interesting points...pressure, climbing consistency, so maybe Guimard picked the wrong leader (easy said afterwards - it seemed so obvious), or tactical mistake: destroying the field and your leader. I choose that one. The plan for a French win had to be 1. get Alaphilippe to the final km with the leaders, 2. have another French rider with him to attack and force Valverde to chase and be out-kicked. That rider could have been Thibaut, who when it's all said and done, did all this work for nothing and gets nothing.

That's a bummer, but at least Romain got the silver, and the team showed strength, some dominance, and I don't recall such a display in my long viewing experience. Better than '94, although the end result is 2 vs. 1 and 3. Nothing to be ashamed of. I'm proud of my national team tonight. They made honor to the jersey.


When they got to the Holl with 3 French riders and no other multiples, there was no need to push the pace harder than Alaf could follow. At that point, it was up to other teams (ie, Valverde) to get rid of JA. Even if Valverde was still with them down the other side, you have one man to lead out JA, and another to box in Bala.

I'm typing this with about 8 hours' worth of hindsight of course. At the time, it made perfect sense for Bardet to push the pace and destroy the rest of the field, I just didn't expect him to pop Alaphilippe while doing it.


I don't think he expected Alaphilippe to pop while doing it either.

Pinot did his job and did it very well. They did get a silver medal and actually showed they could work as a team.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,926
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

01 Oct 2018 00:37

Yep. Three more race days for El Tibo. A win would be nice to end a roller-coaster season. A lot of good, not too much bad, and one ugly outcome.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,156
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

01 Oct 2018 02:13

The course is too hard for Alaphilippe.Certainly,the French team did a wrong choose,did Guimard believe Bardet can win this race with a solo win?It's obvious that Pinot is a better choice.He can attack,he have a better sprint than Bardet.Riding for Pinot may not mean beat Valverde and win the title,but it was surely a better tactic.

Pinot is 28 years old now.Next year will be 29.Gold years isn't it?But he has no significant titles on his name.He won't be a GT winner considering his bad TT.he should pay more attention to the One-day race,however,he miss the chance again...GDL,Allez Thibaut and....Madiot
Alpe-Thibaut
New Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 05 Oct 2016 07:28

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

09 Oct 2018 15:57

Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed right now: my homie Tibopino was really strong and fell short today. But all is not bad. So far, El Tibo is having his best Italian fall classics season to date.

Emillia-Begheli-Tre Valli-MT- GDL
'18: 5-54-2-?-?
'17: 8-81-2-8-5
'16: couch and blanket :o
'15: DNS-DNS-12-4-3
'14: DNS-DNS-DNS-DNS-14
'13: DNS-DNS-DNS-DNS-12
'12: DNS-DNS-DNS-82-DNF
'11: 54-9-3-DNS-47

This Thibaut can score a 1. I remain hopeful.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,156
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

10 Oct 2018 14:38

...and he scored a 1. Great job Thibaut. WOW!!!
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,156
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

10 Oct 2018 14:51

His first pro one day victory.
Strawberry_Jams
Junior Member
 
Posts: 157
Joined: 29 Apr 2017 20:16
Location: Northampton

10 Oct 2018 15:32

Great ride by Pinot.. showed who is the boss. He must be the favorite for Il Lombardia now. Maybe with Bardet as a close second.
Velolover2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,366
Joined: 12 Apr 2015 18:16

10 Oct 2018 15:44

Well this was very lucky obviously. I can't see it otherwise that Lopez would've won if this freakish accident didn't happen.

Still Pinot is obviously in smashing form
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,042
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

10 Oct 2018 17:16

So happy that he won this, especially after yesterday’s second place. Best of them all, and I am fairly comfortable with thinking, that even if López didn’t crash, Thibaut would have beaten him in a sprint! Now onwards to Il Lombardia!!
User avatar Simurgh
Member
 
Posts: 697
Joined: 14 Jun 2015 20:48

10 Oct 2018 19:18

Superga climbing times.

2012 | 11:52 | Contador
2013 | 12:30 | Ulissi
2014 | 12:19 | G.Caruso
2015 | 11:49 | Rosa
2016 | 12:03 | Uran
2017 | 11:58 | Uran
2018 | 11:47 | Pinot

Pretty darn good by Pinot.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,675
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

10 Oct 2018 21:14

Good win today and I'm torn because I want Kreuziger, Valverde, or Pinot to win Lombardi. Valverde would have to be gone for Pinot to win and if he does I think that will put him Bove Bardet for now.

Speaking of Bardet, is his and Pinot rivalry more civil than Demare and Bouhani?
User avatar SHAD0W93
Member
 
Posts: 845
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 03:50

10 Oct 2018 21:16

I only just saw the results, so happy Tibo won. Now onto Lombardia ;)
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 30,594
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

10 Oct 2018 21:19

Pinot finishing the season on a high.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,547
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re:

10 Oct 2018 21:53

SHAD0W93 wrote:Good win today and I'm torn because I want Kreuziger, Valverde, or Pinot to win Lombardi. Valverde would have to be gone for Pinot to win and if he does I think that will put him Bove Bardet for now.

Speaking of Bardet, is his and Pinot rivalry more civil than Demare and Bouhani?


I have seen no evidence that there is any hostility between the two beyond the obvious rivalry involved in being the two best French GC riders and the leaders of the two biggest French teams. Their rivalry appears more or less cordial.

They are less often in direct competition than you might expect. Bardet’s top target is the Tour and his second target is the Tour and his third target is the Tour. It’s more or less the Tour all the way down for him, until you get to the Dauphine in about tenth spot. Pinot has a very different approach to the season and, not coincidentally, a better palmares. This year, when he exploded during the Giro, he has added Milano-Torino, Trentino (or the Alps or whatever) and two GT stages. He may or may not ever find the ability to put his best climbing and best TTing together for three weeks, but whether he does or not he has already become a fine rider and very successful one.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,435
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

10 Oct 2018 23:55

Nice win for Pinot.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,926
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

11 Oct 2018 06:19

Great win for Tibopino. FDJ looks very strong and should be aggressive on Saturday.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,136
Joined: 02 Sep 2011 13:38
Location: Milano, Italy

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Eshnar, Google Adsense [Bot], GuyIncognito, Red Rick, Ursus, yaco and 40 guests

Back to top