Log in:  

Register

Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

21 Jun 2015 16:22

I saw there wasn't one yet, somehow.

Another ITT win under the belt and within 19 seconds of a win in a Tour de Suisse with the Rettenbachferner. I think he should remain focussed on the ITT's, and just take the Tours who happen to have a long time trial as nice extra once they pop up.

Hope he doesn't get the idea to suddenly start focussing on becoming the next Zubeldia
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,233
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

21 Jun 2015 16:25

First maillot jaune of this year's Tour, I hope.
User avatar Alexandre B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,095
Joined: 10 Feb 2015 20:04
Location: Paris, France

21 Jun 2015 16:26

There's still T. Martin
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,233
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

21 Jun 2015 16:33

i hope he will crush wiggo's hour in two years time
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,715
Joined: 08 Sep 2009 18:00

21 Jun 2015 16:40

A big one-week stage race win would be nice before his records begin to contain too many near misses.
User avatar gunara
Member
 
Posts: 594
Joined: 06 Dec 2012 14:42

Re:

21 Jun 2015 16:40

gunara wrote:A big one-week stage race win would be nice before his records begin to contain too many near misses.

Which is logical because he is effectively not really a stage racer
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,233
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

21 Jun 2015 16:51

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
gunara wrote:A big one-week stage race win would be nice before his records begin to contain too many near misses.

Which is logical because he is effectively not really a stage racer


But not everyone who wins one-week race is really stage racer. With the right route and some luck he's got enough to win some, he's got the balance alright to win almost every current world tour one-week race, except Catalunya and Dauphine maybe.
User avatar gunara
Member
 
Posts: 594
Joined: 06 Dec 2012 14:42

21 Jun 2015 17:42

Great rider. My type of rider gotta say. Wish he would try out the cobbles classics. With that TT engine.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,212
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

21 Jun 2015 17:52

I just hope he doesn't get the pressure of being the new Dutch grand tour star, because I fear he can't fulfill that incrusted expectations.

That said: What about Lars van der Haar? That guy seems to be pretty talented, although I have to admit that I got no insight regarding cyclocross at all. With 1.69m and 59kg he looks perfectly buildet to get developed into a smooth climbers like Rasmussen or Aru. Any chance that might happen? Because Giant is mainly putting him in flat races so far and he's still very ambitious about cyclocross as well.
User avatar staubsauger
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,491
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 18:14

Re:

21 Jun 2015 18:01

staubsauger wrote:I just hope he doesn't get the pressure of being the new Dutch grand tour star, because I fear he can't fulfill that incrusted expectations.

That said: What about Lars van der Haar? That guy seems to be pretty talented, although I have to admit that I got no insight regarding cyclocross at all. With 1.69m and 59kg he looks perfectly buildet to get developed into a smooth climbers like Rasmussen or Aru. Any chance that might happen? Because Giant is mainly putting him in flat races so far and he's still very ambitious about cyclocross as well.



Van der Haar has a major thing against him though

He's Dutch
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 10,160
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Procrastination nation

21 Jun 2015 18:31

Vd Haar should stay in cyclocross. He does not have the engine for road racing at the highest level.

Vd Poel however...
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,233
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re: Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

21 Jun 2015 18:40

He will inevitably end up at Sky?
User avatar b.broadhurst
Member
 
Posts: 894
Joined: 20 Jun 2011 12:58

21 Jun 2015 19:11

Of course as train engine no. 5.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,212
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

Re: Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

21 Jun 2015 19:38

b.broadhurst wrote:He will inevitably end up at Sky?

We all hope this won't happen.


Congrats for victory today Tom ;)
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,232
Joined: 04 Aug 2010 12:00
Location: Prague

Re:

22 Jun 2015 01:34

jens_attacks wrote:i hope he will crush wiggo's hour in two years time



In two years the record won't be Sir Wiggio's! :D I hope that Tom gets the record this fall!

I agree with others that I hope he follows a Fabio C. & Tony M. path and doesn't try to become a GT GC guy.
jmdirt
Member
 
Posts: 1,820
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re:

22 Jun 2015 01:57

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Vd Haar should stay in cyclocross. He does not have the engine for road racing at the highest level.

Vd Poel however...


Just needs to avoid dutch teams and trek
User avatar Miburo
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,832
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

Re: Re:

22 Jun 2015 17:15

Miburo wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Vd Haar should stay in cyclocross. He does not have the engine for road racing at the highest level.

Vd Poel however...


Just needs to avoid dutch teams and trek

Well, Giant is German team now officially. With Twents roots and a European heart.
User avatar staubsauger
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,491
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 18:14

24 Jun 2015 22:26

He failed to make the podium at today's national TT championship.
Tarnum
New Member
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 25 Feb 2015 19:24

25 Jun 2015 03:19

How can he win the TT in Suisse and then fail this test???
IndianCyclist
Member
 
Posts: 1,551
Joined: 12 Nov 2010 12:26
Location: Bangalore, India

Re:

25 Jun 2015 05:41

IndianCyclist wrote:How can he win the TT in Suisse and then fail this test???


He hasn't fully recovered from his efforts at the TdS. I mean he was beat pretty good. He was obviously just off pace.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,829
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: can3478, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 17 guests

Back to top