Register

Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

17 May 2017 13:07

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Imagine that, double Stelvio stage. Quintana goes and rides towards earlier Movistar riders.

In the background Dumoulin gets help from 3rd week Kruijswijk and from Mollema trying to stay on the podium. End result catches Quintana on the final climb and nullifies the attack. Outrage on CN forum as non-teammates help Dumoulin.

:mad:
:p
;)

:D
Pennino

Re:

17 May 2017 13:21

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Imagine that, double Stelvio stage. Quintana goes and rides towards earlier Movistar riders.

In the background Dumoulin gets help from 3rd week Kruijswijk and from Mollema trying to stay on the podium. End result catches Quintana on the final climb and nullifies the attack. Outrage on CN forum as non-teammates help Dumoulin.

I think that there is another potential factor at play too, and that is the desire for many riders to place on the podium in Milan (as well as to win Pink too). Say the GC stays the same (or relatively the same; Dumoulin loses no more than a minute to Quintana on Oropa) and then Quintana blows Dumoulin away on Stelvio and reaches a teammate or two up the road, and TD has no teammates left. Do you think that every other rider is not going to give TD any support? They will, because it is also in their best interests to do so. With another time trial (as well as other intriguing mountain stages with plenty of descending....NIBALI) to come, any rider still within a couple of minutes of Nairo on GC isn't going to just sit behind TD whilst he loses minutes, continuing to ask him to do the work....they will work too; or their teammates will if they have any left. The question won't be so much as to whether TD can keep pace with Quintana on Stelvio, but whether he can hold the wheel of whoever else is on a reasonable day like Mollema, Pinot or Nibali; guys who still hold faint hopes of wearing pink in Milan also.

Anyway, as the race currently stands, Quintana should be very happy. We have most of the ITT kms BEHIND us, and most of the high mountains AHEAD of us, yet he sits in second place on GC. He did a pretty good time trial. He did well not to lose four minutes to TD considering how strong Tom obviously was. The fear was that he may have lost some of his TT prowess, but clearly he hasn't. Yet Quintana hardly lost anything to Pinot, and not a great deal to Nibali (who has been a beast on occasions in GT ITT's in years past). I really don't understand this supposed disappointment in his performance yesterday....it's ridiculous.
User avatar gregrowlerson

17 May 2017 15:48

good part today:
-didn't look in trouble
-had ten dam with him at the end

bad part:
-Quintana/Movistar/nibali and Pinot all show they mean WAR. Every opportunity will be grabbed.
-Team still looks weak if they hit them with everything they got.
Last edited by Dekker_Tifosi on 17 May 2017 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

17 May 2017 16:02

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:good part today:
-didn't look in trouble
-had ten dam with him at the end

bad part:
-Quintana/Movistar/Quintana and Pinot all show they mean WAR. Every opportunity will be grabbed.
-Team still looks weak if they hit them with everything they got.

Good part
- Quintana is incapable of doing anything else but climbing
- A bunch of top 10 guys racing for top 10
- Tom looks composed and strong
Bad part
- weak team
- Nibali, he will drag with him the likes of Quintana in long range attacks
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re: Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

17 May 2017 19:07

let's be honest:

We all want Tom to win :D even myself as a Quintanita/Nibs fan :D To me the story of the underdog that overcame the odds & raised triumphant is very appealing :)
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

17 May 2017 19:10

The dream is that he cracks in one of the mountain stages only to do a Landis over Grappa :cool:
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re: Re:

18 May 2017 15:15

jilbiker wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Quintana is not an all rounder, he's about as specialized as it gets. And that's fine.

Yep, agreed. He is specialized. I feel without AC last year he would not have won the Vuelta. I think right now its Dumoulin's race to lose.

+1,000,000
User avatar Iker_Baqueiro

18 May 2017 15:49

tbh i'd already be glad if he ended on the podium (before the race).

It kinda 'sucks' that he is in pink because, even if he has chances to win, if they attack real crazy and he cracks he might end up 6th. Which sucked at the Vuelta because he didn't 'deserve' to end 6th.
Veteran

Re:

18 May 2017 16:00

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:tbh i'd already be glad if he ended on the podium (before the race).

It kinda 'sucks' that he is in pink because, even if he has chances to win, if they attack real crazy and he cracks he might end up 6th. Which sucked at the Vuelta because he didn't 'deserve' to end 6th.

Yes, but at the same time there are no 8 better climbers in this Giro. In that Vuelta there were.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

18 May 2017 21:47

So, I wanted to take a look at Dumoulins twitter page and googled Tom Dumoulin. Then I looked at the headlines for this search term and saw something I was so shocked about that I had to post it here:
The article in the middle was published after yesterdays stage and has the title:
Giro d'Italia: A Basque stayed cool, a Frenchman stays in pink

Sport journalism at its best :o
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

18 May 2017 22:48

Not since Hinault has there been as exciting a French GC prospect
User avatar SeriousSam
Veteran

18 May 2017 22:53

hfer07 wrote:let's be honest:

We all want Tom to win :D even myself as a Quintanita/Nibs fan :D To me the story of the underdog that overcame the odds & raised triumphant is very appealing :)

No doubt. Please don't crack in the dolomites.
User avatar jsem94

19 May 2017 00:13

SeriousSam wrote:Not since Hinault has there been as exciting a French GC prospect

C'mon SeriousSam :) . There's one right now (Alexandre would say two). And there were the two compadres, Jaja and Crymeariver :D .

BTW, I knew Samuel Dumoulin could do it: small guy, that's a climber for sure ;) .

With regards to this Dumoulin, I can't fathom he not making it to the podium. Week 3 often sees head-scratching, conservative racing. If Nibali attacks, what will FDJ do? If Pinot attacks, what will Movistar do? Major Tom may discover allies along the way. And Cuddle everyone in the final ITT.

If I were Tom Dumoulin, I'd feel really good. Not to say that he has it in the bag. Not to say that he will have a meltdown. He needs to survive Oropa same time, lose little stage 16. He can do it if the other favorites start to think about protecting a podium spot. And that will happen week 3. No one wants to be 4th...
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

19 May 2017 08:12

Tonton wrote:
SeriousSam wrote:Not since Hinault has there been as exciting a French GC prospect

C'mon SeriousSam :) . There's one right now (Alexandre would say two). And there were the two compadres, Jaja and Crymeariver :D .

BTW, I knew Samuel Dumoulin could do it: small guy, that's a climber for sure ;) .

With regards to this Dumoulin, I can't fathom he not making it to the podium. Week 3 often sees head-scratching, conservative racing. If Nibali attacks, what will FDJ do? If Pinot attacks, what will Movistar do? Major Tom may discover allies along the way. And Cuddle everyone in the final ITT.

If I were Tom Dumoulin, I'd feel really good. Not to say that he has it in the bag. Not to say that he will have a meltdown. He needs to survive Oropa same time, lose little stage 16. He can do it if the other favorites start to think about protecting a podium spot. And that will happen week 3. No one wants to be 4th...

He will grow even more in my eyes, if he tries something (together with Nibali maybe) in stage 15. 15-20 seconds are at stake in that stage finale.
Ataraxus

19 May 2017 09:03

Slightly late to the party, but why are people using placings in MTF and TT's to compare? in a long TT if you finish 1st - 15th there is inevitably a gap, in a MTF the gap may be 10 seconds, or 2 minutes depending how they are raced. Apples and Oranges.
Singer01

19 May 2017 09:12

Gigs_98 wrote:Sport journalism at its best :o

His name bothers me too though. He should change his name to Tom Den Mul or something to make him recognisable as a Dutch.
User avatar spalco
Veteran

Re:

19 May 2017 09:16

Singer01 wrote:Slightly late to the party, but why are people using placings in MTF and TT's to compare? in a long TT if you finish 1st - 15th there is inevitably a gap, in a MTF the gap may be 10 seconds, or 2 minutes depending how they are raced. Apples and Oranges.

Propose us a means of comparison between: Tom D. climbing and Quintana's Time trialing performances.
Ataraxus

19 May 2017 09:19

spalco wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:Sport journalism at its best :o

His name bothers me too though. He should change his name to Tom Den Mul or something to make him recognisable as a Dutch.

Big Tam.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

19 May 2017 09:20

Van de Molen (from the Mill) would be the literaly translation.
LPP68!

Re:

19 May 2017 10:43

Singer01 wrote:Slightly late to the party, but why are people using placings in MTF and TT's to compare? in a long TT if you finish 1st - 15th there is inevitably a gap, in a MTF the gap may be 10 seconds, or 2 minutes depending how they are raced. Apples and Oranges.

Pretty sure coming 24 seconds behind on a steep climb on the best climber in the world is better than finishing at 1'30 (or sth) as best result in an ITT from Quintana then.
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing