Register

Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

30 Dec 2017 14:02

froome would have lost a minute on peyragudes if it wasn't sky the super killer machine who controls everybody
portugal11

Re:

30 Dec 2017 14:15

Escarabajo wrote:Ok. Dumoulin won the Giro last year. But for Froome not going to the Tour was a given that Dumoulin had a walk in the park to win the Tour?

I don't think so. Am I missing something or fans are giving him too much credit at this time?

Possibly. Having said that, if it wasn't for poopgate, his Giro win would have been much more impressive, larger time gaps on two big champions like Quintana and particularly Nibali.

Not racing Le Tour would be a mistake IMO. '18 seems like a transition year like '87-'88 or '11, too big of an opportunity to pass on, I think. Sunweb can TTT with the bests, mountains-wise Le Tour '18 is not too scary, the ITT on stage 20...go Cuddles ;) !
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

30 Dec 2017 14:29

According to recent interviews Dumoulin was super overwhelmed by all the attention he got after winning the Giro. Doesn't really seem to be into all the attention, and he may want to avoid the biggest circus for now.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

30 Dec 2017 15:09

Red Rick wrote:According to recent interviews Dumoulin was super overwhelmed by all the attention he got after winning the Giro. Doesn't really seem to be into all the attention, and he may want to avoid the biggest circus for now.

Yup.

Giro and maybe Vuelta sounds good to me this year.

Getting another win or a podium will be a big achievement and prove that he gonna be around for the next few years in the GT:s.
Salvarani

Re:

30 Dec 2017 16:51

portugal11 wrote:froome would have lost a minute on peyragudes if it wasn't sky the super killer machine who controls everybody

Tom D thread
rick james

Re:

31 Dec 2017 12:26

Red Rick wrote:According to recent interviews Dumoulin was super overwhelmed by all the attention he got after winning the Giro. Doesn't really seem to be into all the attention, and he may want to avoid the biggest circus for now.

If he was really overwhelmed by all the attention, that's really astonishing. All the greatest riders/sportsmen should be able to face such attention. If it is true he will have real problem.
Coming back to his chances (I assume CF is out of the 2018 competition): in Giro'18 neither Pinot/Valverde/Kruijswijk/Lopez nor Aru in his 2017'shape will be able to compete with TD. Crucial rival might be Landa but we all know the whole mess concerning his plans..
TdF'2018? - I hope TD after his Giro'18 will fight for The Double, but Nairo is becoming the biggest favourite.

But - the Real Question Mark in 2018 is.. Porte, Richie Porte. If he is able to fight with all his GT curse he would be to challenge all of them - TD in Giro'2018, NQ/TD/Landa/Nibali in TdF.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

31 Dec 2017 16:25

I want to put what Red Rick said in the proper respective. He also said he has learned to deal with it and it doesn't hinder him in any way during races. The Worlds is a good example of that. There was a big piece in the Wielerrevue (dutch cycling magazine) where he says that.

So really it is kinda overstating it. Yeah he had problems dealing with the attention, but that was in the streets, like random people wanting a photo and ****. Same stuff Max Verstappen struggled with. It doesn't mean anything for his sportive performances. So put it in the right perspective
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re: Re:

31 Dec 2017 22:21

Tonton wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:Ok. Dumoulin won the Giro last year. But for Froome not going to the Tour was a given that Dumoulin had a walk in the park to win the Tour?

I don't think so. Am I missing something or fans are giving him too much credit at this time?

Possibly. Having said that, if it wasn't for poopgate, his Giro win would have been much more impressive, larger time gaps on two big champions like Quintana and particularly Nibali.

Not racing Le Tour would be a mistake IMO. '18 seems like a transition year like '87-'88 or '11, too big of an opportunity to pass on, I think. Sunweb can TTT with the bests, mountains-wise Le Tour '18 is not too scary, the ITT on stage 20...go Cuddles ;) !

We need to get over poop gate lost time. It is part of the race. Get over it. Countless of friends at engineering school back in the days used to get very nervous in the tests and forget things that they knew and prepared for. Therefore did not get the grade that expected to. It is part of the game.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

01 Jan 2018 05:13

Escarabajo wrote:
Tonton wrote:

We need to get over poop gate lost time. It is part of the race. Get over it. Countless of friends at engineering school back in the days used to get very nervous in the tests and forget things that they knew and prepared for. Therefore did not get the grade that expected to. It is part of the game.

Why would it be caused by nerves ? From what I remember, his team said he overdid the gels and upset his stomach.
movingtarget
Veteran

01 Jan 2018 23:37

I still think that he riding the giro is a wasteful oppurtunity to win the biggest GT of them all-The Tour. Although the few ITT he has after all the best TTT team in the world and he could made also a very decent position in the cobble stage, Why not go for the Tour?
drebelo

02 Jan 2018 02:43

movingtarget wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:
Tonton wrote:

Why would it be caused by nerves ? From what I remember, his team said he overdid the gels and upset his stomach.

Maybe you answered your question.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

02 Jan 2018 17:06

[/quote] Possibly. Having said that, if it wasn't for poopgate, his Giro win would have been ((((much more impressive)))), larger time gaps on two big champions like Quintana and particularly Nibali. [/quote]

Actually, poop-gate made it more impressive & dramatic, given the fact that Tom had to fight really hard all the way to the very last stage to win it. :)
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

Re: Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

04 Jan 2018 17:14

Hmm from what I've seen at the sunweb presentation video's he seems to have a Giro / Tour double at the back of his mind.

The giro is absolutely the main goal, but he says after that he definately has the Tour as option, and not just for stage wins, but for GC. A lot will depend on how the Giro goes ofcourse
Veteran

04 Jan 2018 20:45

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Hmm from what I've seen at the sunweb presentation video's he seems to have a Giro / Tour double at the back of his mind.

The giro is absolutely the main goal, but he says after that he definately has the Tour as option, and not just for stage wins, but for GC. A lot will depend on how the Giro goes ofcourse

It would be hilarious if after all the years of talking about the double by Contador, Quintana and now Froome, Dumoulin ends up being the one who really pulls it off :D
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

04 Jan 2018 21:28

Gigs_98 wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Hmm from what I've seen at the sunweb presentation video's he seems to have a Giro / Tour double at the back of his mind.

It would be hilarious if after all the years of talking about the double by Contador, Quintana and now Froome, Dumoulin ends up being the one who really pulls it off :D

lol... only 2009 contador could do it IF LA and all astana worked for him
portugal11

04 Jan 2018 22:52

Yeah it will be hard enough to win the Giro. I personally do not think he stands a chance of doing anything remotely close.

I do see him do a good Tour GC if the Giro goes bad in some way though (like Vuelta 2015 was good when he fell out of the Tour)
Veteran

04 Jan 2018 23:15

Giro/Vuelta makes more sense for Dumoulin. Aru and Landa will have to be very good in the mountains to have any hope. The Chaves TT gives him little hope even if he climbs well. I would prefer to see Froome there simply to make the race more interesting but something tells me it's not going to happen.
movingtarget
Veteran

05 Jan 2018 22:39

https://www.telesport.nl/video/134299/tv-wielersport/giro-straalt-voor-mij-iets-meer-uit-dan-tour

Interview at the team presentation

Journo: "The Tour is 10 times bigger than the Giro in every aspect. Yet you go for the Giro. Why?"

Dumoulin: I'm more drawn to the Giro. The Tour route doesn't suit me.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

05 Jan 2018 23:10

I think the Tour route is fine for Tom, I don't really understand it. But then again he probably knows what suits him a bit more than I do. The only thing I can point at in the Tour is the Alps which are super hard this year.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

06 Jan 2018 04:24

Valv.Piti wrote:I think the Tour route is fine for Tom, I don't really understand it. But then again he probably knows what suits him a bit more than I do. The only thing I can point at in the Tour is the Alps which are super hard this year.

Plus he will be up against Froome maybe, Aru and Landa in the mountains at the Giro, then you add the TT kms and try to see it from both sides. I think the mountain time losses in the Giro have the potential to be higher than last year but then you factor in Aru and Landa in the TT. If they have an off day in the TT, Dumoulin could make big time because he doesn't have off days in that form of racing. There is also some chance Landa could be dropping Froome in the mountains as well which could work out better for Dumoulin if they both have to chase. Aru could be the interesting performance especially if he manages to stick with Landa on some of the climbs.
movingtarget
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing