Register

Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

10 Jan 2018 21:21

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:Clearly Dumoulin is targeting the mythical triple crown :p

After pulling that off he will win all five monuments in one season and be objectively the GOAT :eek:

Then he will become the first man to travel to Mars to escape from the menacing press ;)

Before travelling to mars however he'll become president of the USA. :D
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

26 Feb 2018 09:23

I wonder why he was so incredibly pissed at the last Abu Dhabi stage. By that point he didn't have much to gain anymore except a fringe top 10 finish. Think he expected more from this race and let it all out at that point.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

26 Feb 2018 14:05

Besides the TT it was the only stage that mattered for him I guess and it was probably the worst point in the stage to get a mechanical. But yeah, in the end it was about a top 10 finish...
wouterkaas

Re:

26 Feb 2018 14:22

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:I wonder why he was so incredibly pissed at the last Abu Dhabi stage. By that point he didn't have much to gain anymore except a fringe top 10 finish. Think he expected more from this race and let it all out at that point.

And it's not like Abu Dhabi is Paris-Nice. I'd rank it below Down Under as well. :lol:
WheelofGear

Re:

26 Feb 2018 14:37

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:I wonder why he was so incredibly pissed at the last Abu Dhabi stage. By that point he didn't have much to gain anymore except a fringe top 10 finish. Think he expected more from this race and let it all out at that point.

Maybe he was supposed to push on in the red and see how he was handling it, or holding a specific power for the climb was part of his schedule and he was annoyed he couldn't finish.

Or maybe something's just not been going well and it all boiled over.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

27 Feb 2018 10:06

Confirmed double now. Giro and Tour
Veteran

Re:

27 Feb 2018 10:23

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Confirmed double now. Giro and Tour

I doubt he'll be competitive in both, in terms of GC...
User avatar Blanco

Re: Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

27 Feb 2018 10:58

Learning from mistakes of others is not an option apparently.
User avatar fauniera

27 Feb 2018 11:00

Yeah GC is not confirmed as goal. Could be he goes to the Tour for free role/sprint train or Kelderman, don't know.
Veteran

Re: Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

27 Feb 2018 12:05

I guess GC is the objective for the Giro, while chasing stages would be the aim for the Tour.

However, should he be well placed after the first 10 days of race (which is likely with this year route), he surely will go for the overall as well.
Roku

Re:

27 Feb 2018 14:00

Denied by Dumoulin himself, for now.
User avatar DNP-Old

27 Feb 2018 14:28

Giro and TDF fighting for GC is a tough gig - Though Dumoulin may find himself well placed and close to the lead after the first nine stages.
yaco

Re: Re:

27 Feb 2018 14:49

DNP-Old wrote:

Yeah, weird communication going on by Sunweb.

Visbeek (teamleader) confirmed participation and then a few hours later it's suddenly a mistake.
Veteran

27 Feb 2018 15:19

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:

Yeah, weird communication going on by Sunweb.

Visbeek (teamleader) confirmed participation and then a few hours later it's suddenly a mistake.

Looks like he spoke before his turn really. I wouldn't really like Dumoulin doing the double, because it's pretty much undoable when going for a GC in both. On top of that, he would likely throw a certain B2B world title down the drain, as his autumn would suffer.

However, I do like Dumoulin's explanation to his plans. I like his decision to wait until after the Giro before stating a final yes or no. To me, it's not manageable to win the Giro without full focus. At the same time, when going full focus in the Giro, it's not manageable to be good (enough) in the Tour.

At the beginning of the year they (Sunweb and/or Dumoulin) mentioned Landa as an example that it is doable, but Landa's Giro was pretty much over after 8 1/2 stages. Yes, he did win a stage and came close to winning some more, but it seems the hardest part of doing GC racing is the mental fatigue. Dumoulin mentioned he was completely broken as far as the mental aspect goes after his Giro. Also, Landa had the ''luxury'' of taking days of, Dumoulin wouldn't really.
User avatar DNP-Old

10 Mar 2018 11:56

Ill, a crash and an abandon.

Season not going well so far for Dumoulin. Time to recuperate and hope there's nothing wrong in the preparation for the Giro.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

10 Mar 2018 11:58

Red Rick wrote:Ill, a crash and an abandon.

Season not going well so far for Dumoulin. Time to recuperate and hope there's nothing wrong in the preparation for the Giro.

he has plenty of time.
portugal11

10 Mar 2018 15:08

portugal11 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Ill, a crash and an abandon.

he has plenty of time.

Yes just under two more months to the Giro but he won't want many more problems before then.
movingtarget
Veteran

10 Mar 2018 18:58

Dumoulin said afterwards that he usually already has some problems in spring and they chose with reason to keep the spring as short as possible, like last year. But he said this year nothing has gone right with material problems (Abu Dhabi) followed by ilness (strade bianchi, start Tirreno) and now a crash (tirreno). He's tired and broken. I think they will skip MSR and he will go on a long training camp before LBL/Giro
Veteran

Re:

10 Mar 2018 19:21

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Dumoulin said afterwards that he usually already has some problems in spring and they chose with reason to keep the spring as short as possible, like last year. But he said this year nothing has gone right with material problems (Abu Dhabi) followed by ilness (strade bianchi, start Tirreno) and now a crash (tirreno). He's tired and broken. I think they will skip MSR and he will go on a long training camp before LBL/Giro

I doubt he's broken. He's perhaps a little fed up, if this is enough to break him then the attention of the past winter has been getting to him.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

10 Mar 2018 19:48

I think you misinterpret broken as mentally broken. He means it in more literal sense. The body is kinda shattered from the fall. Hurt.
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing